'07 Base Strut Assembly fit '05 Base?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 04:48 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'07 Base Strut Assembly fit '05 Base?

Hey, Does anyone know for absolute sure if the stock strut assembly from an 07 base would fit on a 05 base? I know the part #'s are different but I feel like they should be the same. I've got a set of beat up old coil overs on my 05 now and I know someone who's selling their 4 strut assemblies (minus the top hats) off their 07 with about 70k miles on them for $80. I plan on using my current top hats with them. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me but need to know if they will fit my 05 first. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2016, 04:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
should fit fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 163 Posts
I've had this question myself. I was about to move on a set of 04-05 shocks and struts that were barely used, however, I tried to figure out if they were interchangeable with 07-08 ones. Did not get a deifinte answer. I looked online and it appears that the model numbers were changed for the shocks and struts through the years.

My only fear is that the older year shocks and struts sit "higher", meaning that the car doesnt sit as low, when compared to the newer years' suspension. I only say this becuase one of the members on here posted a pic of their 05 TL on stock suspension after a wheel and tire change, and it definitely is much higher than my 07 suspension.
Old 10-24-2016, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Hard for me to believe that switching the suspension components would raise the car, but the '07/'08
parts yield a softer ride. Some have used TL-S shocks on older models and haven't had any problems
or any difference in height.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:09 PM
iWhine

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
I've used a set of 07 base suspension as well as a type s suspension on my 04 TL and they both fit no problem. I've also interchanged the springs and shocks with no problems. I did not notice a difference in change of height except with the aspec. I did notice a difference in ride quality using the type s as well with aspec. So yes despite differences in top hat bushings, spring and shock rates, it is all interchangable and they all fit all year TL 04-08.
Old 10-25-2016, 02:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 163 Posts
oh okay, good info to know! Maybe, Ill pik up a set of 05 06 shocks then. Just to calirfy, the type-s springs didnt drop the car lower? I was under the impression, the type-s sits lower.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:14 AM
iWhine

Originally Posted by MyGuti
oh okay, good info to know! Maybe, Ill pik up a set of 05 06 shocks then. Just to calirfy, the type-s springs didnt drop the car lower? I was under the impression, the type-s sits lower.
I thought the same but I learned the hard way as the type s springs sat me at the same height as my 04 springs. If you are looking to lower your car using your stock shocks, I think I still have a couple of spring sets available I no longer use that are "stock shock friendly" as I've been through quite a few suspension setups.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by MyGuti
no.
the only known upgrades the type-s shocks and springs received are;
- increased spring rate in rear
- increased damping with shocks
- increased road feel by introducing metal washers in the top hats.

if one wanted to know ALL of the changes between the type-s and base model TL's, one can head to:
Honda News and read the archives to gain knowledge
The following users liked this post:
EvilVirus (10-25-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 PM
05 TL A-Spec

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by H23Accord
I've used a set of 07 base suspension as well as a type s suspension on my 04 TL and they both fit no problem. I've also interchanged the springs and shocks with no problems. I did not notice a difference in change of height except with the aspec. I did notice a difference in ride quality using the type s as well with aspec. So yes despite differences in top hat bushings, spring and shock rates, it is all interchangable and they all fit all year TL 04-08.
A difference in top hat bushings?.... The 07 set I'm buying is coming with everything except the top hats. I planned on using my current top hats which are on my 05 now with Teins. Do I need to get new TH busings to use them with the 07's?...Or are you just stating that there are in fact some differences between them all, but regardless of that they are all still interchangeable? So sorry if this is a stupid question but just want to make sure I understand this correctly so I dont get stuck with parts I have no use for. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:22 PM
iWhine

Originally Posted by alan_rich
A difference in top hat bushings?.... The 07 set I'm buying is coming with everything except the top hats. I planned on using my current top hats which are on my 05 now with Teins. Do I need to get new TH busings to use them with the 07's?...Or are you just stating that there are in fact some differences between them all, but regardless of that they are all still interchangeable? So sorry if this is a stupid question but just want to make sure I understand this correctly so I dont get stuck with parts I have no use for. Thanks.
In bold.