'05 vs. '07: Stock and A-SPEC suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 vs. '07: Stock and A-SPEC suspension

Time to change the suspension on our 05 TL. I'm not looking for anything drastic, but it's always had a very floaty feel on the highway, almost to the point of being unsafe over large gradual bumps. With age, it's gotten really bad now at 80k+ miles.

I remember driving my relative's 08 Base TL years ago and the ride was much more controlled and smoother too. How does the 07-08 A-Spec feel compared to the 07-08 Base suspension?

The three options I'm considering are:

04-06 A-Spec
07-08 Base
07-08 A-Spec

Either of the 07-08 suspensions will require the front and rear sway bars to be changed as well since they changed them in 07.

I'm changing the front compliance bushing to the 07-08 regardless since it's supposed to be slightly softer.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts
Ah, the power of cheese...err, the power of search...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/3g-tl-spec-suspension-751616/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/base-tl-tl-type-s-suspension-865858/

Originally Posted by acuratech239
I can give you a pretty good idea of all three. I own an 07 TL-S, and drove it around for about 35k miles with the OEM suspension. At that point, I put the A-Spec suspension on, and currently have just under 48k miles on now. That said, there is a noticeable difference between the Type S and A-Spec suspension. I wouldn't go as far as to say night and day; it's not like I slammed it two or three inches, but there is def a difference in handling, and even launching. Additionally, it lowered it just under an inch. My goal was to not go super low (like my old Integras, etc), and retain what little warranty I had left

Also, since I'm a tech, I drive base TLs all the time, and there is also a noticeable difference between a base and Type S. This is also agreed upon from friends, and customers, that have taken a ride, or driven, in my car. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that my car is some super crazy handling TL, I'm just trying to make a point.

The base has the softest suspension, the Type S is def a step up, and then the A-Spec is stiffer yet. Not a rough ride, but you will feel more bumps.

Overall, it was worth it for me to have a better handling ride, and lower ride height, without sacrificing ride quality, etc. And for anyone who drives in PA, you'll know why I don't, or should I say CAN'T, be slammed That, and it only cost $500 for the entire setup and labor was free

If you're interested, my OEM Type S suspension is for sale, BTW
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/07-tl-type-s-oem-exhaust-suspension-742577/

Hope this review helps!
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
will type-s suspension be firmer than your stock 07-08 base suspension. yes. will it drop your car...no. will it be noticeable? probably.

in terms of softest to firmest:
07-08 base, 04-06 base AT, 04-06 base MT, type-s, aspec.

did i notice a huge difference from base 6MT to Aspec??? yes.

bottomline, it's a matter if all you want is a firmer set up while still maintaining OEM height. most will say, if you're going to all the trouble you might as well get a drop too. so it's up to you since it's your car. what do you want out of the handling of your car?