xenon capsule

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 02:50 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xenon capsule

Sup guys,
Bought my car (07 Base) about a month ago (3-20) and on the ride home, noticed the lights didn't look even. Didn't think much of it because this is my first car with xenon's and thought it could be normal. I understand it's meant to have some type of forgiving balance for oncoming drivers, but this is completely out of whack. I took it to an Acura dealer and they came to the conclusion that I need new capsules. And threw a $600 price tag on EACH, costing me in upwards of $1,200. Can this be true? I'm thinking as usual they are trying to get every cent possible but I also understand these units are expensive. Do these things really cost six hundred bones each?

And also,
I'm really interested in acquiring a pair of Type-S headlights mainly for looks, they look fierce as hell. I'm assuming they'd fit right into where the stock headlights would go? I'm talkin about these bad boys:

Don't know if I can post eBay links, so I'll chill til' I figure that out. It's OEM, so does it come with all the lights and fancy crap like that? OR EVEN A CAPSULE IN EACH!?

Thanks for help/input
Old 04-15-2009, 06:01 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Dealer is BSing you. You'd only need new bulbs (capsules) if one of them or both were not working. If you do need new bulbs then a pair of Philips could be had for as much as $80.

If you park your car in front of a flat white wall your output should look something like this

______________/''''''''''''''''''/'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

As you said that its your first car with HIDs I think it could be that you just arent use to the beam pattern. If your beam doesnt look like the above then you may have to raise or lower them using the headlight aiming screws.

Post a picture of the beam if you can

Also, since you have an 07 base, rather than buying a set of type S headlights, which can range from $500~$1000 depending on where and who you buy from its more feasible if you make your current base model headlights look like the type S ones.

This can be achieved by painting the interenals glossy black and adding a semi clear diffuser.

Also, type S headlights take a different turn signal bulb so your current ones would not fit the Type S headlights, to make them fit you'd either have to put silicone around the socket or get type S turn signal bulb sockets.

To give you an idea as to how base model headlights would look like if the internals are painted black

These are base model headlights, painted pearl black, amber pieces have been removed and dual CCFL halos have been installed.

another set

here is one painted in flat black

More info on the above modified base model headlights can be found in my thread

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/custom-headlights-jnc-continued-718576/
Old 04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
^^

Resident headlight guru.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro

Trying to find my digital camera. I always see it when I don't need it but of course, nowhere to be found. Excellent post JnC. Unfortunately I can't contact you through PM because I'm too new but eventually I suppose I'll shoot you one. Maybe I'll try my cell phone right now but not too sure if it will look ok. Where's my damn camera...
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Pro

Pics from mobile phone, forgive me. I knew I wasn't crazy. They're uneven those stealership bastards.

Both Beams:

Just the left beam:

Just the right beam:

Cool right
Old 04-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
you tried to attach pictures that were in your email / Windows Live Acct..

Post your pics on a photo sharing site then paste the direct link..
Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Pro

Both Beams:

Just the left beam:

Just the right beam:
Old 04-16-2009, 09:30 PM
Advanced

The pictures all look the same. The pattern matches JnC's post. But as an '07 you should be under warranty. I know if bulbs go out they don't cover it (unless you make a big stink). But since the dealer agreed they are messed-up, in alignment, and they are sealed that should come under the 50K mile warranty. If you bought the car from a dealer and its certified, you have even more AMMO, and take it to Acura if your dealer still balks. If you bought it from a private party, was it in an accident? They look ok, I think the dealer is trying to milk you for $1200.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by millarduck
The pictures all look the same. The pattern matches JnC's post. But as an '07 you should be under warranty. I know if bulbs go out they don't cover it (unless you make a big stink). But since the dealer agreed they are messed-up, in alignment, and they are sealed that should come under the 50K mile warranty. If you bought the car from a dealer and its certified, you have even more AMMO, and take it to Acura if your dealer still balks. If you bought it from a private party, was it in an accident? They look ok, I think the dealer is trying to milk you for $1200.
This. It was.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
That's hilarious.. you posted the same picture 3 times...

honestly.. look at the image link to all three.. they're the same. If you lamp is going it will brown out (dramatic). If you inverter is going out / goes out.. it'll flicker or not go on at all.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Pro

one last try

BOTH HEADLIGHTS:

LEFT ONLY:

RIGHT ONLY:
Old 04-18-2009, 12:57 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I see this problem with many TL headlights that have been in prior accidents. What happens is that the main hi/lo projector and the fog light inside the headlight is one big piece of metal and is held in place with one adjustment nut and two mounting points. In case of an accident one of the two or sometimes both the mounting points break and the projector basically falls inside the headlight.

Your bulbs are fine as they seem to be working but your right (passenger side) headlight seem to have the above damage that I mentioned. Regardless of how much you use the adjustment screw it will not help. Headlights need to be opened up and the mounting holes have to be fixed.

You can email me at rook786(at)aol(dot)com if you need help fixing the headlights and may be at the same time make them look like the Type S ones .