windshield replaced...but radar broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
windshield replaced...but radar broken

First off, I know I am at fault for leaving it in the car and attached to the rear view mirror, but I just thought i would throw this out there to see if there was any advice or if I am just out of luck.

So I had my car at the dealership on the 11th of this month. Had some work done but also needed my windshield replaced. The glass company came to the dealership and fixed it there. When i got my car back i noticed an unusual rattle that was just not right and had a plastic sound to it. After getting home i noticed something wrong with my radar. It was in it original position, but all the buttons were pressed inside the unit and were loose and rattling around every time i hit a bump.

Here is my setup.

I was mad, but my first thought was that if I could fix it then i wouldnt have to waste my time and drive it back and try to place blame on with either the glass place or the dealership. So I took it apart and got the buttons back in position...this was a fricken chore. I have no clue how much force or at what angle that force would need to be applied to break those buttons free, but it had to be a lot. It is such a tight fit in there that it was very hard to get those buttons back in place and get it all buttoned up. So over the past week I have been driving around thinking all was good, until i noticed that at no point was it going off. There are some well know areas around me that ALWAYS sets it off, its just the way it is. But I was noticing nothing.

Which brings me to today. Called the glass company and they clain that they dont touch that stuff, and if they do they leave it detached and in the back seat (like i said before it was still in its original position on the mirror) He put me on hold and asked the technician and they have no recollection of any radar and since it "wasnt done in their shop", which he kept saying, there is just that much less blame to put in them. My thought is that if you had to remove the mirror, you HAD to of come in contact with the radar. He also kept saying "i dont know how that could be attached to the mirror" like i was making it up or something. He said that maybe the dealership did something before they got there and maybe they reattached it before I came and picked it back up. He also said that its not the technician who would have to pay so there is no reason they would lie, and i said right then that i in no way believe that statement. Whether its the dudes money or not, why would he admit to anything?

So, I decided to call the dealership to ask their protocol for a windshield replacement. I only talked to the lady on the phone, whom i would not expect to know any specifics, but her initial comments were that there should be no reason for them to touch anything in that area. I just asked her to talk to the techs and anyone else in the service department and just get back to me. And thats where i am at right now.

I didnt want to be a pain, but its no longer a cosmetic issue. I also know its been a few days since the event, but i in no way could deal with it nor did i know that the device was actually no longer working. So, what to do. I no that i have some blame on my part, but what are the chances of getting anything done? In the end I do care what i get, but at the least I just want to let these folks know what they did. If someone had an issue with removing it, I am only a phone call away.

An sorry, no pics of the "broken" buttons. I was in fight or flight mode and just wanted to get it fixed now....which may be a major issue. Its not an issue to "re-break" it, but i have no proof those pics were taken over a week ago.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Full of water...

Update 1:

So I just got a call from the dealership and the lady told me that her people had no reason to touch anything inside the car and they in no way did anything to help the glass company prep for the windshield replacement. She also said she talked to the glass people and they have no issue looking at the damage, but they have no clue how or why this would have happened at this time.

So, next step is to take it to the glass place...and I think I am going to return the detector to it original state before I do so they can see how ridiculous this damage is. I still have no clue how one would be handling it and how much pressure it would take in order for the whole row of buttons to break loose from their original position and drop inside the unit. Grrr!

That is all for now...thanks for listening!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you're screwed personally. It's for sure one of them did it, but you don't know who. When you can't prove that someone broke your stuff, you can't make them pay for it.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 435 Likes on 328 Posts
^ I agree. I ALWAYS empty my car when I know I am taking it somewhere like that to be left.

Many of the garages, dealerships included have signs that clearly state that they are not responsible for personal items.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Full of water...

I totally agree and thought that was what most would say, but its worth a shot. I think I am going to swing by there today and see what they say. I know i should have removed it, but for some reason i didnt think about them needed to remove the mirror.