Window/door squeak, scrunch, rattle, noise revisited

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window/door squeak, scrunch, rattle, noise revisited

I've been battling the "scrunchy" noise coming from the driver's side door/window (seemingly from the rubber seals) ever since i got my 2007 TL. I have tried all sorts of things, without any long-lasting solution. I thought I'd made progress with Gummi Pfledge, but not really. Mostly i've just been cracking the window a tiny bit, which eliminates the noise but lets in rain and bad weather.

I see now that there's a service news article on a fix:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/b080200.PDF

And the same approach has been touted on other forums:

http://hondapilot.org/forums/showthr...hlight=scrunch

http://www.540i6.com/doorseals.html

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/5series/me...w18/65592.html

But I'm skeptical about this, and unconvinced that the noise is caused by friction between metal and rubber -- it sounds more like between glass (window) and rubber. I've tried all kinds of things (shimming the seals (no effect), applying silicone grease (made it much worse), Gummi pfledge (seemed to work at first, but no more), and am ready to try this. But, a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone tried the ServiceNews approach with success? Does it work?

2. The ServiceNews announcement shows how to put the 1/4" tape underneath the weather stripping, but mine's attached by little plastic plugs every few inches, so it's not really possible to just lay down the tape underneath as shown. How do you get the tape in there?

3. Where did you get 1/4" squeak reduction tape (i've found several places that sell 1" tape, and I suppose I could cut it)?

4. My car just passed warranty, but does the dealer do this free of charge since it's a known problem?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:21 PM
Instructor

anyone have luck with this?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
I've used 303 Aerospace to wipe down the seals/weatherstripping where there is contact with the glass.
I believe the dealerships and some members used Shin Etsu silicone as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Instructor

i've used 303 and silicone spray at the points of contact between rubber and glass. in my experience, those products as well as just about any moisture in those areas makes the noise much worse!

i still haven't quite decided where the noise is actually coming from. i put some more gummi pfledge in the areas described in the bulletin (between rubber and metal) and i think it was a bit better today.

what i really want to know is if the tape fix in these areas worked for anyone. nothing has worked in any sustained fashion for me, other than just cracking the window.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:54 PM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
This noise drives me crazy...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Have you thought about using weather sealant tape? I've used some I bought from Orchard Supply (there are a variety of thickness sizes plus you can trim them to just about any thickness with scissors or a sharp blade). I've put some in that area you mentioned because of the scrunching noise and it's mostly gone away. I use weather sealant tape on other areas to reduce rattles too.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had this TSB done. Well, I brought it in and showed them and told them to make it happen. They obviously had never performed it because they had to order all the materials.

I have considerably less rattles from the front of the cabin but it has just focused my attention on the rattles coming from the rear deck.

Honestly, I've poked around the front doors following the work and never saw any sign that they did the TSB work but I will say that mostly I just get rear deck rattles now.