Why does my '07 TL-S losing momentum unnaturally ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does my '07 TL-S losing momentum unnaturally ?

I have driven other cars before, like a 99 Infiniti G20 and they can go very smooth when let go of the gas and let the momentum guide the car to go so far and not feeling any slow down immediately, but for my automatic 07 TL-S, when I let go of the gas, the momentum is losing quite quickly, as if the car has a few sandbags on it. I have driven the old Infiniti and current TLS at the same exact road section so I can tell the big difference. Why is that ?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Yup my car is the same way and its something i noticed as soon as i bought my TL it doesnt coast as much as any other car ive ever driven, i think it has something to do with the way the transmission is built. By the way my car is in top shape mechanically. And this is even when im alone in the car.

Last edited by Gil'sUA5; 08-08-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondanews.com
Automatic Mode
The Sequential SportShift feature of the automatic transmission can be operated in a conventional fully automatic mode via a front console-mounted gated shifter. When in automatic mode, the transmission incorporates an advanced Grade Logic Control system and Shift Hold Control, both of which work to reduce gear "hunting" and unnecessary shifting.
Shift Hold Control keeps the transmission in its current (lower) ratio when the throttle is quickly released and the brakes are applied (as might be the case when decelerating to enter a corner). Shift Hold Control leaves the chassis undisturbed by excess shifting, ensuring that abundant power is immediately available without a downshift.
Grade Logic Control alters the 5-speed automatic's shift schedule when traveling uphill or downhill, reducing shift frequency, and improving speed control. Throttle position, vehicle speed and acceleration/deceleration are continuously measured, then compared with a map stored in the transmission computer. The Grade Logic Control system then determines when the car is on a hill. If this is the case, the shift schedule is adjusted to automatically hold the transmission in a lower gear for better climbing power or increased downhill engine braking.
More:
http://hondanews.com/channels/acura-...-tl-powertrain
The following users liked this post:
Will1688 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Comparing your old Infiniti to your Acura is like comparing apples to oranges. Not every car rides the same. But what Justnspace said is the reasoning behind it. Personally I like it, almost feels like it downshifts like a manual. I like to know what my car is doing.
The following users liked this post:
JuicyLarry (08-12-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Fuel cut.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK
Fuel cut.
fuel is cut off at redline, yes.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:52 PM
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 85 Posts
Also when you let off the accelerator with the engine above something like 1200 RPM in a manual, and above whatever speed the torque converter locks up in the auto.

In a 6MT in 6th, this ends up being about 40-41 MPH. Let off the pedal above 40 and you will feel a slight delay, then a small nudge as the torque on the driveline reverses and the wheels start spinning the engine with the injectors off. Around 30 MPH you can feel another small jurk when the injectors come back on.

Same deal with the auto, except the speeds are likely raised. The transmission might even needlessly shift out of 5th to maintain fuel cut as you decelerate. I've never driven an auto TL so I'm not sure.

This will cause the vehicle to decelerate more rapidly than you might expect, especially if you are not used to driving a vehicle with fuel cut. Most every modern vehicle has this, its not terribly new. It's more noticeable in some vehicles.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Fuel cut.
Yep. They program it to downshift to keep rpms high enough for decel fuel cut and disguise it as a feature, grade logic. It sounds better to have braking assist than to say its downshifting to save gas.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:17 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Also when you let off the accelerator with the engine above something like 1200 RPM in a manual, and above whatever speed the torque converter locks up in the auto.

In a 6MT in 6th, this ends up being about 40-41 MPH. Let off the pedal above 40 and you will feel a slight delay, then a small nudge as the torque on the driveline reverses and the wheels start spinning the engine with the injectors off. Around 30 MPH you can feel another small jurk when the injectors come back on.

Same deal with the auto, except the speeds are likely raised. The transmission might even needlessly shift out of 5th to maintain fuel cut as you decelerate. I've never driven an auto TL so I'm not sure.

This will cause the vehicle to decelerate more rapidly than you might expect, especially if you are not used to driving a vehicle with fuel cut. Most every modern vehicle has this, its not terribly new. It's more noticeable in some vehicles.
You might be surprised at how many people can't feel it when it cuts the injectors. With exhaust it should be more obvious. My '84 GN even has decel fuel cut. I used to purposely set the TPS a little high so it's "in between" idle and above idle so it would shoot flames out when decelerating.

The auto TL does exactly what you said. It downshifts a little early as you're coasting to keep it in fuel cut. It also manipulates the torque converter lockup to keep rpms in the correct range, lockimg the clutch as rpms dip and then downshifting with it unlocked. Now that the cars are aging, old out of calibration pressure switches are making these downshifts jerky and very noticeable. Those who complain of harsh downshifts should replace the switches.