"Whistling" noise found & resolved plus more

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 PM
100k miles club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation "Whistling" noise found & resolved plus more

I've been having this "whistling" sound for about a month or so and have posted in another thread about it. Some say it's normal, some say it's the intake (though the sound was coming mostly from the front, right while the intake is on the left side), and others say it's related to the heat shield. Well it's finally time for my B service so I took it in and they found the problem and fixed it. Here is what the invoice said:

CUSTOMER REPORTED A WHISTLING TYPE NOISE FROM RIGHT FRONT AREA AT 2K TO 2500 RPM WHILE DRIVING

CAUSE: STRAIGHT TIME DIAGNOSE. INTERMIDIATE SHAFT BEARING COVER NOISEY
B OP CODE 219199 DEF.CODE 03214 STRAIGHT TIME

DIAGNOSE TO LOCATE MULTIPLE NOISES INCLUDING SEVERAL TEST DRIVE
556 W93
1 44517-SBD-A00 COVER, HEAT
4 90165-S5B-003 BOLT, FLANGE (8X24)

118108 BELT TENSIONER/PULLEY - REPLACE
556 W93
1 31170-RCA-A02 TENSIONER, AUTO

416170 FRONT STABILIZER BAR BUSHINGS AND/OR LINK - REPLACE
556 W93
1 51320-SDA-A05 LINK, R. FR.
1 51321-SDA-A05 LINK, L. FR.
It's all Greek to me so if anyone can shed some light on this, it's appreciated. Other than this, I've found some other things out from one of the district managers who was there for a meeting...

- Retro fit kit for iPods will be available after the initial kit release in December. It will only be available at the dealer for purchase and install. I'm sure there will be 3rd party though

- TPMS will not have a retro fit. It will only be for 06 and up. He also mentioned that for models released after 2007-08, TPMS will be required by law on all cars (not sure how true that sounds, but who knows )

- (Finance dept.) My car is 19 months old and I'm at 43K miles. I'm eating through the warranty quick. I have decided to purchase the Acura Care extended warranty (personal preference, so no please) right before I hit 50K miles. There was a thread here that mentions Curry Acura. I checked them out and to extend the warranty before you hit 50K, it'll cost about $1,280 for another 48K miles/48 months. The local dealer wants $1,895 . I showed them the print out and they will match. What I did learn is that ALL Acura Care extended warranty has $100 deductible.

I guess that's it. Oh I got a 05 TSX/navi loaner for the 3 days. Those with aesthetic complaints about your TL, try driving a TSX for a day or so. Here's some highlights of TSX:

- button must be held down for moonroof operation
- if moonroof is open, to get to tilt position you must close it first then tilt (again, holding down the button)
- sun visor doesn't extend back when positioned next to the door
- (clock display area) cannot change how XM info is displayed. it's always the channel info only except new song is starting (maybe it's capable but i didn't find it)
- no 1 - 6 buttons on console, only on the touch screen
- no tape player i can't believe this is a complaint but my iPod runs off the tape player

I have a lot more but my post is getting too long. Don't wanna bore you all BTW the dealer is Downey Acura. They have been great to me!

Final note: My baby is back where she belongs, with me
Old 09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Intermediate

I had an '05 TSX/non-navi as a loaner yesterday, and I agree with your assessment.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Win78,

Your sound system setup looks interesting. Do you have a thread or website describing the install with maybe some pics? I'm curious about where things are installed, how you tapped into the head unit outputs, etc..

Good news about the iPod retrofit!!! I'm waitin' for it!
Old 09-16-2005, 03:25 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by zax123
Win78,

Your sound system setup looks interesting. Do you have a thread or website describing the install with maybe some pics? I'm curious about where things are installed, how you tapped into the head unit outputs, etc..
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112367
Old 09-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by w1n78
CUSTOMER REPORTED A WHISTLING TYPE NOISE FROM RIGHT FRONT AREA AT 2K TO 2500 RPM WHILE DRIVING
The problem you had.

CAUSE: STRAIGHT TIME DIAGNOSE. INTERMIDIATE SHAFT BEARING COVER NOISEYB OP CODE 219199 DEF.CODE 03214 STRAIGHT TIME
Means they determined it was your heat shield.

DIAGNOSE TO LOCATE MULTIPLE NOISES INCLUDING SEVERAL TEST DRIVE
556 W93
1 44517-SBD-A00 COVER, HEAT
4 90165-S5B-003 BOLT, FLANGE (8X24)
Replaced your head shield and the bolts that hold it on.

118108 BELT TENSIONER/PULLEY - REPLACE
556 W93
1 31170-RCA-A02 TENSIONER, AUTO
Replaces a pulley...don't know why.

416170 FRONT STABILIZER BAR BUSHINGS AND/OR LINK - REPLACE
556 W93
1 51320-SDA-A05 LINK, R. FR.
1 51321-SDA-A05 LINK, L. FR.
Replaced the rubber bushings on your front sway bar...again, don't know why.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:47 PM
100k miles club

thx chili_dog

sorry mod
Old 11-07-2005, 09:57 PM
7th Gear

I've been having this "whistling" sound for about a month or so and have posted in another thread about it. Some say it's normal, some say it's the intake (though the sound was coming mostly from the front, right while the intake is on the left side), and others say it's related to the heat shield. Well it's finally time for my B service so I took it in and they found the problem and fixed it. Here is what the invoice said:

It's all Greek to me so if anyone can shed some light on this, it's appreciated. Other than this, I've found some other things out from one of the district managers who was there for a meeting...

- Retro fit kit for iPods will be available after the initial kit release in December. It will only be available at the dealer for purchase and install. I'm sure there will be 3rd party though

- TPMS will not have a retro fit. It will only be for 06 and up. He also mentioned that for models released after 2007-08, TPMS will be required by law on all cars (not sure how true that sounds, but who knows )

- (Finance dept.) My car is 19 months old and I'm at 43K miles. I'm eating through the warranty quick. I have decided to purchase the Acura Care extended warranty (personal preference, so no please) right before I hit 50K miles. There was a thread here that mentions Curry Acura. I checked them out and to extend the warranty before you hit 50K, it'll cost about $1,280 for another 48K miles/48 months. The local dealer wants $1,895 . I showed them the print out and they will match. What I did learn is that ALL Acura Care extended warranty has $100 deductible.

I guess that's it. Oh I got a 05 TSX/navi loaner for the 3 days. Those with aesthetic complaints about your TL, try driving a TSX for a day or so. Here's some highlights of TSX:

- button must be held down for moonroof operation
- if moonroof is open, to get to tilt position you must close it first then tilt (again, holding down the button)
- sun visor doesn't extend back when positioned next to the door
- (clock display area) cannot change how XM info is displayed. it's always the channel info only except new song is starting (maybe it's capable but i didn't find it)
- no 1 - 6 buttons on console, only on the touch screen
- no tape player i can't believe this is a complaint but my iPod runs off the tape player

I have a lot more but my post is getting too long. Don't wanna bore you all BTW the dealer is Downey Acura. They have been great to me!

Final note: My baby is back where she belongs, with me
I have that same noise at 2500RPM on the money it sounds like the car is just junk!! I have an 05 with just 10K it did it from like 1K this is my problem exactly. When you got your car back after they did those 4 or 5 things it was fixed??? If so im bringing this to them tomorrow becasue my dealer is so dumb they tell me " i dont hear anything" also one more question its only when in gear right?? thats the only time i hear the noise not in nutral or park only when driving doesnt matter the gear just the RPM. If that was your problem and now its fixed I LOVE YOU. My tl can now sound like a tl not a peice of junk! Let me know
Old 11-07-2005, 10:14 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by markc1982
I have that same noise at 2500RPM on the money it sounds like the car is just junk!! I have an 05 with just 10K it did it from like 1K this is my problem exactly. When you got your car back after they did those 4 or 5 things it was fixed??? If so im bringing this to them tomorrow becasue my dealer is so dumb they tell me " i dont hear anything" also one more question its only when in gear right?? thats the only time i hear the noise not in nutral or park only when driving doesnt matter the gear just the RPM. If that was your problem and now its fixed I LOVE YOU. My tl can now sound like a tl not a peice of junk! Let me know
yup, no sound if it's in park or neutral. only if it's in gear. no more sound after they kept the car for 3 days. ya it's frustrating anytime your car is at the shop for any issue besides maintenance. good luck
Old 11-08-2005, 12:45 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um, my extended warranty has a zero deductible... In fact, I'm reading it right on the contract in my hands right now...

However, I'm not sure if that changes if you buy the warranty months/many miles after the initial purchase of the car..
Old 11-08-2005, 06:40 AM
7th Gear

yup, no sound if it's in park or neutral. only if it's in gear. no more sound after they kept the car for 3 days. ya it's frustrating anytime your car is at the shop for any issue besides maintenance. good luck
Thank you very much im going to talk to them today
Old 11-08-2005, 07:06 AM
Banned

I've been having this "whistling" sound for about a month or so and have posted in another thread about it.
I guess that's it. Oh I got a 05 TSX/navi loaner for the 3 days. Those with aesthetic complaints about your TL, try driving a TSX for a day or so.
Hi w1n78, I'm glad you finally got your issue resolved However, the TSX is not a bad car, most of the TSX owners are quite happy with their cars, if not, just as happy as our TL owners. TSX is not in any means a bad car, just a very different car from the TL.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

I have a whistling sound coming from the front of my car. It seems to happen when I reach 75 to 80 mph. And sometimes when I take certain turns. I recently had my windshield replaced, does anyone think that that might be causing it, so is there more to it?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I dunno - we had the windshield replaced on my '02 and it was great for a long time, but now it makes a sound like when you have a small leaf stuck somewhere and it sounds like a 'Kazoo' when we hit like 60. Could the sealant have come loose after almost 6 months to a year? Tough one to troubleshoot.

Originally Posted by jbmacle
I have a whistling sound coming from the front of my car. It seems to happen when I reach 75 to 80 mph. And sometimes when I take certain turns. I recently had my windshield replaced, does anyone think that that might be causing it, so is there more to it?
Old 11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
100k miles club

Originally Posted by z06girl
Hi w1n78, I'm glad you finally got your issue resolved However, the TSX is not a bad car, most of the TSX owners are quite happy with their cars, if not, just as happy as our TL owners. TSX is not in any means a bad car, just a very different car from the TL.
i'm sure the TSX is a great car. it's just when you get used to things in your car, little things will be noticed on other cars. in fact, i had to go to LA last week. parking is horrible and i didn't want to take my TL so i took my civic. my day ended up like crap coz i missed my TL so much. i got lost too coz no navi - and i loved my civic but now i have "my TL". i'll probably have complaints even if the dealer gave me another TL as a loaner. why? well for one, i upgraded my stereo, my channels are already preset, phone book on HFL set, etc.

i guess what i'm trying to complain about is that i missed my car during those 3 days