Whining sound coming from engine area

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Whining sound coming from engine area

As of three days ago, when I start the car, I hear a high-pitched whining sound coming from the engine area. I popped the hood and the best I can tell is that the sound is coming from where the alternator is located. I realize that sound travels and that may not be the area. Just from standing and looking down at that area, I see the belt turning and no unusual rips.

I drive out of the driveway and when I turn the steering wheel the sound whines more. But after a few minutes of driving, the sound diminishes.

Not sure what to make of it.

2006 TL 39k.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
take your car to local acura dealer if you havent had the powersteering hose recall done. most likely thats what it is.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If your turning the wheel and get a louder whine I would say that your power steering pump is failing.

Check your fluid level and see. Has your car had the hose recall preformed?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 591 Likes on 455 Posts
nope its just the o-ring on the power steering pump. super easy and inexpensive fix.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Instructor

If the hose recall has been preformed, wouldn't you think that pump might be the cause.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:43 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
Had the same problem over the summer. Turned out to be a dying alternator.

As of the past few weeks, I have a similar noise coming when turning the wheel on cold mornings. I figure it must be the power steering o-ring so I will be changing that soon.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by 07BLKTL
If the hose recall has been preformed, wouldn't you think that pump might be the cause.
Nope, because scores of service departments have failed to replace the o-ring as required per the recall.

OP, look in the Problems forum. There are a couple of discussions about the o-ring not being replace.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Nope, because scores of service departments have failed to replace the o-ring as required per the recall.

OP, look in the Problems forum. There are a couple of discussions about the o-ring not being replace.
Thats a whole other issue though haha.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the response guys. Just looking over my copies of all the service done at that dealership. I received the Safety Recall Notice: Power Steering Fluid Leak, in the summer of 2008 and I took the car in that August for the work to be done.
This is the same Dealership I've had so many issues with that I had to contact Corporate. Yes, the same one that was posted as the worst in the country.
Tomorrow morning I'll take a good look at the level and any leaks. I don't recall at this moment seeing any drips on the ground.
Again when I start the car I hear the sound, very high pitched and a continuous whine. When I pooped the hood, the sound seems to be coming from the left side. So instinctively I'm looking at the drive belt. But I don't see any cuts or rot. I get back in the car and drive it out the driveway and the whining increases. When I make a turn moments later the whining increases. So I just played with the steering wheel (left to right) and the whining increases accordingly. After driving for about 10-15 minutes the whining has subsided.
Again, I'll do a better inspection in the morning, as recommended here, and post back.
I dread going back to that dealership and the next closer dealership is in Valley Stream. But I would like to have some idea of what the issue might be before I make that call.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:58 AM
Intermediate

1) I will check the problems forum on the o-ring issue.
2) @UA6~RBP, you have reasonably low mileage on your TL as well. Would you say it's common or unusual for the alternator to fail so early.
3) I'm hoping that the issue is minor, because I'm out of warranty. Even though I had to call Corporate when I took my car in for the annual NYS inspection in January and they started itemizing all kinds of issues (compliance bushing, motor mounts etc). Corporate had to pick up the tab since it was determined that this dealership was charging customers for work that was never performed. It's documented.
4) Looking at the invoice of the work that was performed when I took the car as per the recall notice back in August 2008, it says:
1(qty)...06535-SEP-306...Kit, P/S FEED H
2(qty)...08206-9002A......FLUID, P.S.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Race Director

You can pull the inlet hose off (1 bolt, torque spec is 8.1 ft-lbs) and check the o-ring. Very simple to do. If it is black, then they didn't replace it. If it's orange, it is the new type o-ring.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/power-steering-pump-bad-875815/

The above thread has pics and a link to a video. Per the video, you can start the car and then pop the top of the reservoir. If there are bubbles, then air is getting into the system, meaning highly likely that a faulty o-ring is allowing air into the system.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=486

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-20-2012 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
thx1138 (12-20-2012)
Old 12-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Thanks nfnsquared.
The car was sitting overnight. I pooped the hood and removed the black plastic cover over the area where the power-steering fluidreservoir is located. Started the car and heard the whining. I turned the steering wheel left and then right and the whining increased. I went over to the reservoir and took the cap off. There was the frothy bubbles formation in the reservoir.
I put the cap back on and turned the car off for 5 minutes. I then removed the cap again and the fluid inside was dark with no froth. It's at the upper level mark. I turned the car back on and the whining wasn't as great as with a cold start, but I can see some froth and small bubbles developing.
I did not remove the hose yet to check and see the color of the o-ring. Makes me wonder, if the o-ring was never changed out, how do I know the hose was ever changed as well.
Have any owners who have verified that the o-ring was never changed out going back to the dealership or just doing it on their own. Seems very irresponsible of the dealership. If this is systemic, why haven't corporate issue another recall for those that took their cars in to have them checked to see if the o-ring was indeed replaced as we are all experiencing.
Again, to all, thanks for the heads up and assistance.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Race Director

I think most have just fixed it on their own. If it were me, I'd take it into the Service Department and make the SM watch while I pulled the hose and showed him the old o-ring. But that takes time to drive to the dealership, etc..

The o-ring itself is less than $2. You have to drive to the dealership anyhow to pick it up. At the very least, if you find the old black o-ring, I'd take pictures or a video and email it to the SM telling them you want a free o-ring or tell him that you expect them to replace the o-ring for free.

I'd also send the pics/vid to ACS (Acura Client Services) and start a case with them so that they become aware of how widespread this issue is. The o-ring is included in the Recall parts kit. It's just a matter of pure laziness that it doesn't get replaced.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Happen to me; I changed the o-ring a couple of weeks ago that was not done during the recall in '08. It's easier to change it yourself than to bring it back for a $1.75 part. It's great when the engine no longer whines in the morning.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

After discovering the frothy bubbles in the reservoir this morning and showing a buddy the notice and invoice from 2008. Interesting question was asked of me. When I finally take the hose off and discover that the o-ring was never change (based on the color), how do I know that they (the dealership) actually change the hose in the first place. I don't.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by thx1138
After discovering the frothy bubbles in the reservoir this morning and showing a buddy the notice and invoice from 2008. Interesting question was asked of me. When I finally take the hose off and discover that the o-ring was never change (based on the color), how do I know that they (the dealership) actually change the hose in the first place. I don't.
Looking at the safety recall TSB will help, but the PS hose that runs from the pump to behind the engine should have some kind of protective shield around it.

I'd feel fairly certain that they did replace that hose because not to replace it would be a huge liability. The o-ring is on a different hose and is due to a lazy tech not wanting to undo another bolt.

In the future, always request the old parts be returned to you. That way you can be sure.