Whining Noise Not Affected by Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whining Noise Not Affected by Steering

I have a 2007 TL and I have a whining noise that changes with rpm's but not by turning the steering wheel. It sounds like a radio that's not grounded properly. I replaced both upper O-rings on my power steering pump just in case but that had no effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 12-18-2015, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Aleax
I have a 2007 TL and I have a whining noise that changes with rpm's but not by turning the steering wheel. It sounds like a radio that's not grounded properly. I replaced both upper O-rings on my power steering pump just in case but that had no effect.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Belt tensioner?
Old 12-18-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
most likely alternator. if you want to be sure, take off the accessory belt and turn on the engine briefly to see if the whine is still there
Old 12-19-2015, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having the same issue. Did replace O-rings also. Will try the suggestions.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by paperboy42190
most likely alternator. if you want to be sure, take off the accessory belt and turn on the engine briefly to see if the whine is still there
^^ Exactly what he said. I had the same problem about a month ago and it ended up being the alternator.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
With my last 3G TL I ended up replacing my alternator for nothing when it was the belt tensioner. Decided i could live w the whine then one day my engine bay started smoking. Luckily I was only a block from the Acura dealership and they happened to have the tensioner assembly in stock. I was lucky its the same part which was waiting to go in the general mgrs wifes mdx so they put that one in and ordered the wife another one. Should be in the maintenance schedule IMO.

In your case best to have someone listen for the culrip with knowledge on how to do so... You could take a large wrench and hold it to your while holdong it against the various parts.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanks guys I've had and fixed the tensioner before and it's not that. I don't have any power issues yet but I guess I have to take it to the dealer.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I had the same whine. Had my alternator replaced yesterday.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ggesq
I had the same whine. Had my alternator replaced yesterday.
Did you go to the dealer? How much did it cost? I'm considering changing mine out myself if it isn't brain surgery.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
No I took it to a trusted local mechanic. Total cost was $286. I've read on the forums that it is a fairly simple DIY though.
Old 12-20-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I dealt with this about 2 months ago. It was my alternator. The whining started and about 2 weeks later it gave out on me. Luckily it gave out on me as I was passing an autozone right before the closed for the day. I bought the alternator and replaced it in their parking lot. It wasn't hard to replace. You have to remove or loosen the radiator fan, remove the belt, unbolt, and then wiggle it out of the tight space. It just barely fit. I had to really push my power steering hoses out of the way, but it's doable.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

So not long after I posted this problem I had a new one. Apparently my accelerator pedal sensor dropped power to my car three times in one night (Is this related to my alternator? Not sure.). I drop by the dealer on Xmas eve to grab a new sensor but they want $240 for it and I'm not going for that so before I leave a service tech walks up to me and says "Do you have jumper cables because that angry cat under your hood is a dying alternator." Funny thing I always thought if you have a bad alternator jumper cables won't help anyway.
I wound up replacing my alternator myself on Xmas day in time to connect with family and friends for dinner.
My car is a 2007 so what you have to do is disconnect the battery, remove the alternator harness and remove the belt from the alternator by releasing the tension, then move the power steering reservoir by disconnecting the hose that connects to the lower part of the power steering pump but just disconnect it from the pump leaving it connected to the reservoir(use rags to guard against fluid spill). Move the reservoir over toward the radiator and that gives you the room to get the alternator out. Install new alternator and reinstall by reversing the instructions.
So far after I put the new part in I haven't had any problems with the pedal sensor(so far, 4 days). Is it possible the alternator caused the sensor to malfunction? I ordered the part but am wondering if I should put it in anyway or send it back.
Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by Aleax
So not long after I posted this problem I had a new one. Apparently my accelerator pedal sensor dropped power to my car three times in one night (Is this related to my alternator? Not sure.). I drop by the dealer on Xmas eve to grab a new sensor but they want $240 for it and I'm not going for that so before I leave a service tech walks up to me and says "Do you have jumper cables because that angry cat under your hood is a dying alternator." Funny thing I always thought if you have a bad alternator jumper cables won't help anyway.
I wound up replacing my alternator myself on Xmas day in time to connect with family and friends for dinner.
My car is a 2007 so what you have to do is disconnect the battery, remove the alternator harness and remove the belt from the alternator by releasing the tension, then move the power steering reservoir by disconnecting the hose that connects to the lower part of the power steering pump but just disconnect it from the pump leaving it connected to the reservoir(use rags to guard against fluid spill). Move the reservoir over toward the radiator and that gives you the room to get the alternator out. Install new alternator and reinstall by reversing the instructions.
So far after I put the new part in I haven't had any problems with the pedal sensor(so far, 4 days). Is it possible the alternator caused the sensor to malfunction? I ordered the part but am wondering if I should put it in anyway or send it back.
Sorry for the long post.
Bad alternator can cause all sorts of electrical issues! I'd keep the sensor and replace it when you to your timing belt service or something. You never know when it might fail. Or you can return it too!
The following users liked this post:
Aleax (12-31-2015)