What's Shakin Bacon

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's Shakin Bacon

Hey All,

I noticed today that my car shakes or more like rumbles from about 1000 to 1500 RPM. I put the car in neutral and rev it and it still does it. I let the car warm up and it still does it but it seems like it's only then that it happens. The idle is smooth and after the 1500 mark it also seems fine. Any suggestions? Thank you!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could be broken engine mounts
Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
sounds like misfire.. I'd rule out mounts because no shake at idle.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Majofo
sounds like misfire.. I'd rule out mounts because no shake at idle.
The hesitation is suttle when not in motion. Last night I was driving in first and the car started hestitating hard core. It does seem to be misfiring. Is something new plugs should fix?
Old 02-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Zobo26
The hesitation is suttle when not in motion. Last night I was driving in first and the car started hestitating hard core. It does seem to be misfiring. Is something new plugs should fix?
This is a loaded question. I would first start the PCV valve, adjust / replace it. Check for any vacuum leaks. I would then check the coil connections on the plugs. If all those check out then I'd remove the plugs and inspect them. Look for fouled plugs and visually inspect the electodes on the coil packs. If you notice a fouled plug then mark the coil that was over it. If you go this far you might as well install new plugs. Get NGK Laser Iridiums or standard NGK Iridiums, both are excellent performers. The OE Denso Iridiums are great long lasting plugs.

The thing is that you didn't mention a CEL, and I would expect a CEL to be thrown to indicate cylinder misfire, so I think the safest bet is a vacuum leak or the PCV valve needing adjustment / replacement. Get a can of Berryman's B-12 fuel system cleaner / Techroline / Seafoam and put it in your gas tank to clean out your fuel injectors on your next fill-up, but becareful because that stuff will definitely strip your paint. How many miles do you have on the TL?

Last edited by Majofo; 02-06-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Advanced

This is a loaded question. I would first start the PCV valve, adjust / replace it. Check for any vacuum leaks. I would then check the coil connections on the plugs. If all those check out then I'd remove the plugs and inspect them. Look for fouled plugs and visually inspect the electodes on the coil packs. If you notice a fouled plug then mark the coil that was over it. If you go this far you might as well install new plugs. Get NGK Laser Iridiums or standard NGK Iridiums, both are excellent performers. The OE Denso Iridiums are great long lasting plugs.

The thing is that you didn't mention a CEL, and I would expect a CEL to be thrown to indicate cylinder misfire, so I think the safest bet is a vacuum leak or the PCV valve needing adjustment / replacement. Get a can of Berryman's B-12 fuel system cleaner / Techroline / Seafoam and put it in your gas tank to clean out your fuel injectors on your next fill-up, but becareful because that stuff will definitely strip your paint. How many miles do you have on the TL?
My car is an 05 and it only has 38000 miles on it. That's what concerns me. I noticed today that acceleration is not 100% smooth. It seems to jerk a little bit.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Zobo26
My car is an 05 and it only has 38000 miles on it. That's what concerns me. I noticed today that acceleration is not 100% smooth. It seems to jerk a little bit.
A bit early for a tune-up so I would check your intake and vacuum lines. Take it in to Acura since it's still under the coverage period and have them check everything I mentioned above and they should be able to determine the culprit. Keep us updated.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:16 PM
Advanced

A bit early for a tune-up so I would check your intake and vacuum lines. Take it in to Acura since it's still under the coverage period and have them check everything I mentioned above and they should be able to determine the culprit. Keep us updated.
I'm taking my car in to have the infamous power steering o-ring problem fixed. The car's warranty ended in December but I imagine if I can be persuasive enough I can have them take a look at it for me.