Weird Problems..Help..lol

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 07:06 PM
9 mpg.

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts
Weird Problems..Help..lol

Hey guys, my TL was doing fine until these past 2 months. I've noticed a few things that concern me.
* 2004 5-speed Automatic TL. 103,200 miles.

1) My steering wheel is not centered when the car is going straight, it's a little to the left when going straight. So, the wheel is slightly turned to the left but the car is pulling straight. When I even the wheel out (straighten it) the car pulls to the right...what the hell? lol. Any ideas what could be wrong here. I'm guessing it's an alignment issue..?

2) My car burns through tires ridiculously fast. And it's definitely not cause I'm driving the car hard. I just got 90% new tires (all 4) and new rims at 101.9k (currently at 103.2k) and already my front right tire has gone bald on the outside tread and the rear left tire has gone bald on the outside tread as well. The other two tires are fine (front left & rear right) I don't understand...The reason why I replaced the tires in the first place was because the front right tire had gone bald prematurely. I'm really irked about this...I don't have the money to replace tires every couple 1,000 miles.

3) I pump 91 from chevron/shell regularly (depending on which one I see first) and I drive normal for the most part; car shifts under 3k rpm 75% of the time and yet I'm still getting 13-14mpg. $20 lasts me two days! I sea-foamed it almost exactly a month ago. Anything/ideas to improve mpg? Also, does it really matter what kind of gas I use. Cause I could use AMPM 87-grade and save a lot of money, but I don't want to do that at the expense of damage to my engine, engine components, etc. We pump (AMPM) 87-grade into the ES350 and the MDX so my parents think I'm retarded for using 91 all the time. lol

4) My rear bumper does not sit flush with my tail lights at all...I read somewhere on here that I could just replace the clips and it will fix this, is that true? If not, how can I fix this?

5) Headlights, I have mad streaks/foggy look on my headlights..it is my biggest pet peeve so that doesn't help either. How do I get rid of this and get them to look clean again?

6) I think I broke a piece of my underbody kit...are these parts worth replacing? It's not the air dam, but the one right behind that. It's just hanging there cause 1 of the 4 screw holes broke, the other 3 bolts are still holding it up for the most part however.

Thanks guys,
David.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the steering wheel problem as well
Old 04-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
1) had the same problem with mine. I hit a nasty bump and i got an alignemnt and the guy said my toe was out .25 or so.

2)check tire pressure and alignment can also kill a tire.

3) With 103k on the clock maybe a tune up is in order. spark plugs fuel filter and all that mess. Tires also have a HUGE bearing on MPG's for example i had Nankang NS2 19" and besides the road noise it dropped my MPG's to 14-15 and i swapped back to the Oem Michelins and i was back at 22.

4)It might have been removed before maybe because if a rear accident. Best thing to to is remove it (its not hard) There is a DIY garage video on how to do it and then check all the clips and try to align it again

5)Get the headlight restoration kit. its like 20 bucks and can be bought at Walmart or any advanced auto parts store. it requires light sanding and stuff like that. No brainer

6)Remove that part or zip-tie it back.

GL
Old 04-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
1. get an alignment done at a reputable shop
2. guessing that the tires are experiencing excessive wear due to the alignment issue.

5. have you modified the headlights to the point that you had to take apart the housing? if not 3M makes a product to clean the outside of the headlights. if it's the inside then get new headlights haha.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probs 1-3 could all be the result of poor alignment, or suspension damage.

#6 could also be related.

*****Abuse
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to suggest the same as the other folks here. Your car is eating tire and the steering wheel is off center because you need an Allignment. Thats also the issue with the fuel mileage. That and the fact that your at 103K miles and are ready for the big service which includes the T-belt, water pump and spark plugs and some other things as well. I worked in the service department at an Acura dealer for 2 years and these cars would come in with the same issues your having and it was the same things every time. good luck to you.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:17 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
1) had the same problem with mine. I hit a nasty bump and i got an alignemnt and the guy said my toe was out .25 or so.

2)check tire pressure and alignment can also kill a tire.

3) With 103k on the clock maybe a tune up is in order. spark plugs fuel filter and all that mess. Tires also have a HUGE bearing on MPG's for example i had Nankang NS2 19" and besides the road noise it dropped my MPG's to 14-15 and i swapped back to the Oem Michelins and i was back at 22.

4)It might have been removed before maybe because if a rear accident. Best thing to to is remove it (its not hard) There is a DIY garage video on how to do it and then check all the clips and try to align it again

5)Get the headlight restoration kit. its like 20 bucks and can be bought at Walmart or any advanced auto parts store. it requires light sanding and stuff like that. No brainer

6)Remove that part or zip-tie it back.

GL
Thanks Ron! How's that blower treatin' ya?! Anyways, is there anything I can do for #3 at home, like a DIY?

Originally Posted by Conan O'Brien
1. get an alignment done at a reputable shop
2. guessing that the tires are experiencing excessive wear due to the alignment issue.

5. have you modified the headlights to the point that you had to take apart the housing? if not 3M makes a product to clean the outside of the headlights. if it's the inside then get new headlights haha.
Yeah dude, I've definitely got to get my alignment checked next week and my tires rotated now.
And no, I've never opened my headlights. It's just on the outside.

Originally Posted by S PAW 1
Probs 1-3 could all be the result of poor alignment, or suspension damage.

#6 could also be related.

*****Abuse
You're absolutely right, I abuse my car. But you know what, I get my money's worth haha. (no offense)

Originally Posted by Dave_W
I'm going to suggest the same as the other folks here. Your car is eating tire and the steering wheel is off center because you need an Allignment. Thats also the issue with the fuel mileage. That and the fact that your at 103K miles and are ready for the big service which includes the T-belt, water pump and spark plugs and some other things as well. I worked in the service department at an Acura dealer for 2 years and these cars would come in with the same issues your having and it was the same things every time. good luck to you.
Is there any part of the 105k service that I can do at home?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:20 AM
9 mpg.

By the way, THANKS! to everyone who has helped/posted so far.

So, tomorrow I plan on restoring my headlights. Taking a look at my rear bumper. Check tire pressure. And I may take a look at my under-body kit. Thanks again guys!

I'll get my alignment and my tires rotated next week.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:30 AM
9 mpg.

Ok, I did some research and I found out that piece that's hanging underneath my car is #8 in this diagram/link http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
...do I need to buy a new one or could I just remove it and be ok like Ron said?
Old 05-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
Ok, I did some research and I found out that piece that's hanging underneath my car is #8 in this diagram/link http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
...do I need to buy a new one or could I just remove it and be ok like Ron said?
ohh I didnt remove that lol thought u were talking about another piece

Keep that one or get another because it protects your trans housing from dirt and debris.