Weird metallic sound coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 09:34 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird metallic sound coming from engine

Lately I've been hearing this metallic sound coming from the engine, especially when I am cruising on the freeway. The sound is hard to describe, but it sounds like a piece of metal is grinding on another metal or something may be loose? At first I thought it was static coming form my radio, but it wasn't it. But I took my car in to the dealership today and report this problem, and left it there for half the day. When it was ready to be picked up, they said they replaced the tension belt, so I hoping I would not be hearing this particular sound as I was driving home. Sure enough... nothing has changed, I still hear this annoying sound. Has anyone ever encountered this problem or know any solutions?
Old 06-24-2010, 10:29 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Any chance of getting a video of it?

It could be so many things....

So does it only do it at a steady state cruise down the freeway?

Exhaust rubbing can make all kinds of weird noises in the cabin.

Heat shields rubbing on the axles and heat shield vibration in general are somewhat common. Many times they come across on acceleration moreso than going down the freeway.

I really don't know where to start other than a sound clip or video. You can do a visual for metal flakes or powder especially around rotating parts. You can leave the hood up and have someone rev it or powerbrake it (with the e-brake on) while standing to the side to see if you can reproduce the noise.

If you can narrow it down a bit, I can be more helpful.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Any chance of getting a video of it?

It could be so many things....

So does it only do it at a steady state cruise down the freeway?

Exhaust rubbing can make all kinds of weird noises in the cabin.

Heat shields rubbing on the axles and heat shield vibration in general are somewhat common. Many times they come across on acceleration moreso than going down the freeway.

I really don't know where to start other than a sound clip or video. You can do a visual for metal flakes or powder especially around rotating parts. You can leave the hood up and have someone rev it or powerbrake it (with the e-brake on) while standing to the side to see if you can reproduce the noise.

If you can narrow it down a bit, I can be more helpful.
The sound is more noticeable cruising on the freeway. Sometimes I can hear it driving on the streets. I will try to get a sound clip, but I think it will be really hard to pick up on the noise. It's loud enough to hear in person, but I don't think it's loud enough to record. I'll try though. I just hate taking my car to the dealership. Thanks for your input.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
One possible is the metal shield that is close to the inside of the rotors. Sometimes that will get bent and will rub the rotors.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Next time you hear the noise, put the trans in neutral, coast with no gas, and see if the sound diminishes, if not press on the brakes slightly to see if any change. If no change, in a safe area while driving straight at @ 30MPH, turn the wheel back and forth to see if a change as the vehicle changes direction.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:09 PM
8th Gear

have the same problem with my 04 tl. hear it when cruising. havent taken it in im too scared
Old 07-12-2010, 03:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by zm04tl
have the same problem with my 04 tl. hear it when cruising. havent taken it in im too scared
i took my car back for a 2nd time to the dealership, this time the changed out one of my exhaust pipe. Sure enough, that didn't fix anything at all and the sound is still present. Probably won't be taking my car back to the dealership for this problem again. Seems like they are just picking out parts on the car and hoping that will fix the problem.