Warped rotor ... wheel vibration..dangerous?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Warped rotor ... wheel vibration..dangerous?!

Im not sure if this is the right section, been searching for answers but I was curious about what other problems this may cause.

My rear right wheel is having vibrations during braking, and sometimes while accelerating. No brake pad left! The brakes were grinding on the rotors scratching it up hard! I have driven on it for about 15+ miles on highway and some city streets with lights. I was wondering why only the rear right wheel's pad had been gone? The TL is a front wheel drive and most of the braking is done by the front. Is this a bad thing that the rear wheel pad is gone and only one that wheel? I am also worried will there be other problems it may cause to the brakes because I was still driving it to get home. I have some drilled and slotted rotors from the previous owner but they squeal a lot. I ordered a set of Brakemotive rotors and pads and hoping those will be be a better alternative. Should I change all 4 rotors and pads or just the rear? I also want to get rid of the squeal cuz my car sounds like the MTA buses in NYC when braking. True story, fooled a few people waiting by bus stops. Can anybody chime in and educate a newbie?

Appreciate any help from all !
Old 03-15-2011, 07:19 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
First I'd make sure it really IS the right rear brake pad. I don't think that would cause your squealing while accelerating.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Would be nice to know the mileage and year of the car, but if the left rear is not worn, then there is a problem with either the right caliper or the right brake hose. If the caliper, you can get by with one, but naturally both rear pads need to be replaced and if you can duplicate, same make, left rotor you need only one, but if not spring for two. Brake hardware needs to be in place and all sliders clean and greased. Depending on the pads and backing, sometimes I use brake anti-squeal solution on the back of the pads.

Don't forget to changed the brake fluid at the recommended intervals.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car is an 05 with 51020 miles 5AT. Rotors and pads were changed by previous owner at 37000 miles. First car and I am learnin everything on my own going to school full time.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P/S Rear brake caliber failed....

I have a 04 TL and encountered same problem. The passenger side rear brake caliber failed causing it to continue to apply pressure to brake pads even when not braking . This caused my brake pads to wear out completely and rotor. Unfortunately you must replace caliber, BOTH rear brake pads and rotors. Good luck and hope this helped.