Warped Oil Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warped Oil Pump?

Hey all -
Two things:
I just had an A1 service done, and while I had it in, I asked if they could source a small coolant leak that I've been dealing with for a year now. I've had 3 shops tell me that the head gasket is going bad - which is BS, because, even while no one can tell where the leak is coming from, I don't have any symptoms of a head gasket going bad (no smoke in exhaust, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, bad performance, etc). Strangely enough, I was the Honda Dealership, and the guy easily found a small leak in my radiator (wanted $750 to fix - I LOLd). I just bought one for $60, and will install this weekend.

1. I can't find any basic install instructions for a new radiator (even though it looks pretty easy), anywhere online, or here (3G Garage?)...does someone know of a good source for this, so I can double check what I plan to do???

2. While he was down there, he mentioned a small oil leak, and showed me. He said that the oil pump is likely warped (?) and that it should just be replaced when I do my water pump / timing belt - which is due. Has anyone ever heard of this?

I've had older posts mentioning that I've had this 'chirping' sound from the Engine from 900-1500 RPM. It obnoxious. Has anyone ever had to replace the oil pump, while also having experienced this 'chirp'? It's not a belt issue...but it could be a WP issue. I'm hoping someone could chime in, and let me know if this helped.

Thanks yo!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Not real sure the pumps are warping, but they do tend to leak a little in all TLs after time. Mine leaks for about a week every time I change the oil. It only does it for about a week and then stops until the next change. I never see any oil on the ground, just smell it when it drips on the exhaust.

I can't imagine changing the radiator would be much of a chore at all, thats why there is no DIY... but you could be a hero and make one for the next guy? Make sure and use the blue fluid from honda, and be sure to add it correctly or you will get air bubbles. There are videos on youtube by Eric the car guy that show you how if you don't know.

Last edited by erg69; 01-06-2015 at 02:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FlyinLowTL (01-06-2015)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks -
Yeah, I couldn't find any videos showing a TL, but I watched a few for other cars, and it def seemed simple enough. Although - I received the Radiator today, and was very surprised that the transmission fluid, and AC Condenser lines do not attach to this radiator (they must have a separate heat exchanger for those). The only connections on this radiator are the Coolant Inlet, Outlet, and overflow pitot.
One of the videos I saw was for a RSX, and it wasn't that similar to ours - It had other connections. So, this should be breeze.

As far as eliminating Air bubbles though - Do I just run the car with the cap off to let the system burp it all out? Is that basically the extent of it?

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Yep pretty much, just put a bunch a paper towels around the hole or buy the funnel that makes no mess. (Link below)

Lisle Spill Free Funnel LIS24610: You?ve found the best Oil Change - Funnels at Advance Auto Parts

Some people turn the heat on full to make sure you get the bubbles out of the heater too while filling it up. But I assume its already on because its bloody cold this week in KC. Everyone on AZ is nuts about making sure you use the blue coolant from honda so I'll say it again.... Its not super cheap, but not crazy expensive either.

Last edited by erg69; 01-06-2015 at 02:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FlyinLowTL (01-06-2015)