Warm Start causes puttering

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warm Start causes puttering

I just recently purchased a 2006 Acura TL with 52K and Ive been having issues with it starting up after its but ran. I give it an hour or so then get back into it and it will putter to start. I have a honda dealership working on it while its still covered but they replaced the fuel injectors with test injectors to see if that helped. Its been a day and its still doing the crappy starts. So does anyone have any idea what might be causing it???
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
any check engine lights. have them read any codes.It may have codes stored, just not displaying CEL
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Is that the only symptom that you're experiencing?

Maybe oil is fouling the spark plugs? I would pull and inspect them.

You should make this thread a contest...Paypal USD$1 (as Gift of course) to the member who guesses the correct solution
Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
This is an interesting one. So it runs fine once it's hot as long as you don't shut it off, correct?

Will it restart once hot as long as you shut it off and immediately restart it; does it have to sit for a while before the puttering happens?

When it does happen, is it only right after the startup or does it run like crap for a while?

Does it run fine at full throttle?

How many tanks of gas has it had run through it since this started? One possible solution is if you got a tank of bad gas with water in it, the water flashes off in the fuel rails when it sits and heat soaks.

Any codes would be nice to help point in the right direction. Hooking it to live data would be nice to see if the ST or LT fuel trims are out of whack and to see what the 02, MAP, IAT, and coolant temp sensor are seeing on startup.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry it took my so long to respond I just noticed this post. It would start up fine first time, once it was warm and then sat for an hour or so it would start up funny and act like it wanted to stall. Not once did it throw a code which confused me because I figured something would pop up telling me I was having an issue. Even at full throttle and idle it ran like there wasn't an issue only at start up. The dealership pulled the injectors run some injector cleaner and told me to run it and see if the problem came up. It did then they replaced all the coils, spark plugs, and injectors. Its been running fine ever since. I'm still baffled at what it could have been. I always thought that it was the gas they put in it when I first bought it.. They put 87 octane when we all know it needs 91-93 to run properly. It will always be a mystery as to what really caused it.. haha