VSA warning light /!\ & VSA After Tire Rotation - but No Symptom

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:50 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
VSA warning light /!\ & VSA After Tire Rotation - but No Symptom

2006 TL, 5 speed AT with NAV, 91850 miles.

Orange VSA warning light /!\ & VSA just lit up, but NO APPARENT difference in operation. I have searched forum for this VSA symptoms, but can't find anything without any change in drivability. Brake works just as good as it ever been, quick and good bite. The same great acceleration as it has been, smooth shift nothing to complaint about, WTF?

I have done some works like Timing belt with water pump kit replacement, new NGK spark plugs, drive belt, tensioner and idler pulley all replaced just under 2 months 1,500 miles ago. Also did 2x 2.7 qts ATF drain/refill with filter replacement. Brake fluid flush was done 3 months ago . . . why is this happening to me?

I haven't noticed this immediately after "tire rotation at Costco" on the way home on Friday,, Sep 1st. But noticed the VSA warning on the first outing today after the rotation. So, I removed all 4 tires one by one, to check if any wire or connection was broken/disconnected, no problem there as well. I tried to erase the code 84-1 with my Autel MD802 scanner, but unsuccessful. Any and all thoughts and advice from experts here will be greatly appreciated.

Again, even with /!\ & VSA warning lights, TL drives perfectly, should I be worried?
Is replacing the $1,500 VSA control module the only answer?

*****Oh, I'm in OR right now, but moving back to CA next week, would this present any problem registering in CA? ****
Attached Thumbnails VSA warning light /!\  & VSA After Tire Rotation - but No Symptom-vsa_1.jpg   VSA warning light /!\  & VSA After Tire Rotation - but No Symptom-vsa_2.jpg   VSA warning light /!\  & VSA After Tire Rotation - but No Symptom-vsa_3.jpg  

Last edited by Sparky16; 09-04-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:09 AM
Instructor

No ABS or VSA activation as far as I can remember since buying new in 2006. Or at least last few years.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Instructor

Anyone with same experience?
Erasing code with Autel 802 scanner didn't work, tried to reset the system by disconnecting battery, waited 30 minutes then reconnected, still no change.

Please help!
Old 09-05-2017, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Last time I had both those lights (and ABS) on, it was due to a mouse chewing through a wire somewhere. If your only hunch is to replace a $1500 control module, I'd probably take it in to a shop and have them diagnose it first and pay the diag fee, hopefully to find a cheaper solution to the problem.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
. . . take it in to a shop and have them diagnose it first and pay the diag fee, hopefully to find a cheaper solution . . .
I would gladly do that, if I can find good one, honest one.
The good shops are too hard to find, especially symptoms like this, no obvious symptom, happening out of blue.
Besides, the closest dealer is an hour away, local garage is still 30 minutes away, booked solid for the next two weeks . . . sigh

I'll probably wait till I get to So Cal in two weeks.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,693 Likes on 6,707 Posts
Try a new battery too . A low charge might throw some false positives on lights
Old 09-06-2017, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would check & test the battery and alternator. Low voltage can cause all kinds of electrical problems and "failed" sensors. Has your battery died anytime recently? If so that can kill an alternator, especially a 12 year old alternator. And of course don't forget to check, double check fuses & relays. I'd start there and see what you find.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Thanks for your inputs, much appreciated.
Had my battery replaced about 6 month ago. Left the light on, sitting inside engine off waiting for my wife(she was shopping), killed battery. It was close to 4 years old, about time to replace anyway. Liveview showed battery at above 14V (don't remember exactly), charging perfectly.

I've been searching for possible cause for this MIL, but don't see any case alike. Again, the TL drives exactly the same as it has been prior to this MIL, brake, shifting etc, everything works normally. Hoping it is OK to drive 1200 miles to my new nest next week, keeping fingers crossed.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Instructor

Checked all fuses, nothing blown.
How to check relays? Swapping what looks the same?
Old 09-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Instructor

SOLVED!

Big thanks to this post; Error Code 84 - VSA sensor neutral position memorization - Acura TSX Forum

When I tried this for the first time, I began with VSA neutral position reset procedure since I don't have ABS light on, WRONG.
After failing many times with VSA reset, then I began the procedure with ABS resetting, worked at first try! Great post by Russian Comrade "Bardissimo", big thanks again.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Instructor

I don't have a clue why this DTC was set in the first place. Furthermore, this DTC 84-1 was described as "PERMANENT DTC(meaning it has to be replaced with $1,500 part)" by Autel MD802 scanner. But clearly it is NOT PERMANENT. I doubt it was Autel's fault, as the DTC code was written by Honda.