VSA warning and engine light (can NOT accelerate while driving!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey I know there's a lot of good info on here but I see that a lot of you can reset your car and have it run like normal afterward but that doesn't work for me it's completely stuck turning on and off doesn't do anything for me... Maybe disconnect the battery?? The Acura dealer is pretty far from me and I can't drive it there at 20mph lol could it still be a sensor or do you guys believe the teams might be completely gone? VSA and check engine do not go off at all.. And I haven't gotten the code checked
Old 01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

2005 TL went through car wash and now will not get out of 3rd gear and doesn't have reverse. Transmission is has less than 30k miles. VSA letters are showing and a yellow triangle.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the limp mode is specifically so your throttle doesn't have any unexpected results like the fbw sensing something like full throttle and sending you into a dangerous situation. I have no facts to back this up, but it's an fbw system, not a cable. I just don't think it's to save your car mechanically, as much as it is a safety measure.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
It's a safety measure
Old 07-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you acurazine members. Through the information in this thread I was able to narrow down the problem with my car to either the tps or app sensor.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alanmz
My 2004 TL had the same problem with going into limp home mode with the check engine light and VSA triangle light going on. After reading through this forum I was able to find a quick and zero cost solution - I simply tightened the accelerator cable at the APP sensor. This fixed the problem immediately and my car is running great with no warning lights. Easy fix even for an amateur. I would suspect that most people who replace the APP sensor really don't need to. Just tightening the cable should do the trick.
I doubt this would fix the issue permanently, often time a battery disconnect or even a engine restart will "fix" the problem temporarily.

My 2005 V6 Accord first developed this problem a year ago, battery disconnect made the problem go away as if nothing had ever happened, but it came back 3 days ago, then again today, so I will replace this part.

For others wondering if it is APP or TPS, you need to have the code read, if it is P2138, then it's the APP as TPS likely has a separate code for it.
The following users liked this post:
pkarandi (11-29-2017)
Old 10-17-2014, 10:31 AM
1st Gear

Acura TL problem

Basically I been having problems out of no where where my car one day the check engine light turned on for couple hours as I was going home then the next day it turned off so I thought their was no problem then I started driving later the next day n it started showing signs like my car couldnt go past 40 mph without the engine just revving constantly when I acclerated but it will make it to the store if I go lower it reverses fine but every time I try to pick up speed it starts to hesitate into gears can anyone help thanks
Old 10-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonstuh
Basically I been having problems out of no where where my car one day the check engine light turned on for couple hours ...
can anyone help thanks
Yes.

First, since the CEL illuminated, there is probably an error code stored in the OBDII system. Go get the code read-- often done for free at Autozone and some other parts stores, as well as by friendly mechanics. Dealer service departments will charge you, though, if you aren't under warranty. Your TL's symptoms do sound like a bad APP sensor, but get the error code(s) to confirm.

Second, please use periods and capital letters or paragraphs to minimize headaches for those trying to figure out what you wrote. Phone keyboards have punctuation and capitalization too. Otherwise, you'll get a lot of "tl;dr."

Good job on using the search feature!

Welcome to AZ.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:39 PM
Cruisin'

(Sorry I just came to after passing out from lack of oxygen to my brain trying to read the whole paragraph without taking another breathe. )

If there is an CEL, why aren't you getting the code read? Most automotive stores will read it for free.

In all likelihood the stored code will point to the APP, inexpensive and easy to rectify with a new part at about $90 to $100 if you use aftermarket part, about $135 if using OEM part.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Not so sure about APP. I have all the same lights, but not shifting to 4th or 5th gear, trouble code is P0977, "shift solenoid B circuit high" anyone?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM
6th Gear

Just happened to my car Error P2138

2006 TL, 108K miles... a few days after I left for a 5 day trip, i came back and the battery is completely dead, I jumped my car and everything is fine, 2 days later check engine lights comes on with the VSA light, max speed 20 mph with the pedal to the floor... pulled over, turn car off and on again, check engine lights still on, VSA light gone, problem is gone but check engine....

Checked the error message P2138 Generic
Throttle/Pedal
Position
Sensor/Switch "D"/ "E" Voltage
correlation

What is this???
Old 10-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Cruisin'

[QUOTE=boxndragon04;15210136]2006 TL, 108K miles... a few days after I left for a 5 day trip, i came back and the battery is completely dead, I jumped my car and everything is fine, 2 days later check engine lights comes on with the VSA light, max speed 20 mph with the pedal to the floor... pulled over, turn car off and on again, check engine lights still on, VSA light gone, problem is gone but check engine....

Checked the error message P2138 Generic
Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch "D"/ "E" Voltage correlation

What is this???/[QUOTE]

Doh, it's your accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor, get it replaced to rectify this problem.

At least you found the right thread.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 619 Likes on 459 Posts
hit me up I got a spare sensor. that I can sell cheap.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:25 PM
6th Gear

Thanks Aviography.

So 2 days later it happened again at 70 mph.. but thankfully I was exiting the highway. As soon I came to a stop, I tried accelerating again and pedal to the floor and a super slow acceleration to about 30 mph. I pulled over, turned the car off and on and it was fine except for the CEL (Check Engine Light).

I went ahead and brought the part on Amazon Prime.
Amazon.com: Genuine Acura 37971-RBB-003 Accelerator Sensor: Automotive Amazon.com: Genuine Acura 37971-RBB-003 Accelerator Sensor: Automotive

Genuine Acura 37971-RBB-003 Accelerator Sensor
~$150

Kearny Mesa SD acura dealership price is $280s plus labor about $380s something like that..

The local honda and acura shop said $280s for part and labor...

Going to do it myself.

I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:09 PM
6th Gear

In the mean time, going to tighten the wire

So in the mean time, I read this thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-doing-830989/

So tightening the wire on the APP sensor resolves the check engine light to turn it off.

I'll let everyone know how long I can drive without it having problems.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:39 PM
Cruisin'

^ Interesting link, I made an entry to weigh in.

For this thread, I'll add a few comments I posted in the other thread above:

While I was waiting for the part to arrive, I found I could just turn off ignition while the car is coasting and restart the car to keep the car going normally other than the CEL still on, but this would only last a few miles before limp home mode kicks in again.

I also found at low vehicle speed, the limp home RPM was limited to 1,200 RPM, however at highway speed, the limp home RPM was at 3,000 RPM, presumably to allow the driver to pull the car over safely without being rammed from behind by other vehicles.

Lastly, since this is the APP sensor issue, I found I can keep the car running if I get the vehicle speed to 25MPH/ 40KPH and engage cruise control, I can then control the speed with the + and - buttons on the steering wheel, I drove on the highway for an hour+ without any APP issues so this technique works since the ECU is no longer relying on any APP inputs, the control of vehicle speed is now the cruise control inputs to ECU which then drives the throttle servo motor, the APP is completely out of the picture in this mode.

Ultimately the fix was to replace the APP, I made no adjustment to the metal throttle cable when replacing the APP, and this problem has gone away completely for the last two months where the original APP was causing the code several times a day near the end.

Last edited by Aviography; 10-25-2014 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:56 PM
6th Gear

Tighten the APP sensor cable worked

So I been driving around for 2 weeks now, and the problem is virtually gone. I haven't had the problem since.
Old 12-02-2014, 06:15 PM
9th Gear

Same problem and no one helped me yet!

So the other day I'm driving my 2005 TL, and it went into limp mode. Then the VSA flashed and it would not accelerate. RPMs was high. So I pulled of to the side and the car was stuck in DRIVE. I turned off the ignition and then was able to start it back up and put it in park. So I called and had it towed to shop who said the tranny was gone. I asked did they the codes and they said no. They then offered to rebuild my tranny for $3600, I said wow! So I went and picked it up and ran the codes.

P0420 catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 1
P0128 coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp
P0125 closed loop fuel control efficiency coolant temp
P0721output speed sensor CKT Rng / performance

I need help bad. I did recently put in a radiator and didn't clear codes. The dealer where I got the car a year ago replaced the catalytic converter.I did drive it from the repair shop with the VSA turned off.
Now I'm thinking about taking it to the Acura Dealer to have a full diagnostic to get actually know in details what's wrong with it.

Last edited by Peepz314; 12-02-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
1st Gear

Two summers ago I had a 60 mile commute to a summer job on 70 MPH highways. I was 10 minutes out from work and had this same thing happen to me. Of course, I was in the left lane on a 4-lane highway. Somehow navigated to the right at about 50 MPH and rapidly decelerating, hazards on, avoiding a collision.

Took it to the local Honda dealer who had NO CLUE how to resolve the problem whatsoever. They had my car for 3 days, and I called them each time to find out they still had no clue. They just kept driving it and advised they were unable to replicate the issue, as if I were some sort of idiot for bringing it in.

I finally took it home, did some research, and found out about that throttle positioning sensor cable unit. It was a bitch to replace but I have not had one problem since I installed it. This forum is a thing of beauty.
Old 01-18-2015, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

Help! Vsa, ! And engine light on!

I need help! I have a 2007 Honda pilot. 187,000 miles. The VSA, ! And engine light keep coming on. Car will idle high, shift funny and buck at 65,70 mph. In 3 months I have had new radiator, oil cg, timing belt, water pump ect... And spark plugs changed. $1,500 later car is STILL NOT FIXED!!! Last codes that came up were 420, 430, 2647 and 301. That was before we changed the spark plugs. Please can anyone help. I'm running out of patience and $$!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 04:03 PM
1st Gear

vas light turn on

so i have tl type s 2004 with 195k 6speed manual
so i was taking my wife to work and got on the freeway and vsa,triangle both turn on i couldn't turn it off i think my tl went on limp mode i only could go 15 mphs.
what could it be my time belt is due just haven't had a chances to get it done
could it be the timing belt or something else
can i get help please
no warranty on the car
Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 AM
Advanced

No CEL no VSA light, no code from my OBD2! 2006 TL auto w/navi at about 84500 miles.

So my car is having similar problems as what I'm reading in this thread. I was driving home from work on surface streets around 8pm doing about 40 or 45. Saw a long green light down the road and knowing that by the time I get there it will probably turn red, I gave the gas enough of a nudge to get the car to downshift and go faster and I feel the engine rev but the car didn't go faster. I was pretty tired from work so at first I thought i imagined it. A few more taps on the gas and I realize I'm not getting any extra power from the car. If I keep the throttle light I was able to maintain speed but I couldn't get the car to go faster.

At this point I was almost home (I live 4 miles from work and I was less than a mile from home) so I decided to miss my turn into my neighborhood and keep going. I had to stop for a red light. When it turned green and I tapped the gas I was barely getting the car to move. I basically crawled across the street making a left turn. Kind of scary. I basically idle down the street off to the right with my hazards on at this point revving the engine and only getting a fraction of power out of it slowly moving down the street. I barely make one last left turn into my neighborhood and at this point I'm completely stopped. I was revving the engine to about 3000 rpm and getting zero speed. It was like I was revving in neutral except I'm actually in gear. I was a sitting duck.

I was literally like less than 200 yards from home so I called my girlfriend to come steer so I could push the car the rest of the way. Lucky for me the streets are completely level. While I was waiting for her it suddenly occurred to me to shut the car off and turn it back on. Voila! I got my car back. I drove home before she made it out of the garage. After dinner, I took the car out again, this time with my buddy who lives next door to help me push in case I get stuck. It drove fine for about half a mile then it happened again. I guess it wasn't a fluke. There is something wrong with the car. The car eventually just stopped moving whether I was in Drive or Reverse. The engine revs normally but the car doesn't move.

My search has brought me to this thread, but I am not sure that anyone has the same problem as me. Most everyone here has seen a check engine light or VSA light. I have none of those. There was another thread I came across where people who have this similar issue also had a P2138 code like in this thread. I went and bought a simple OBD2 reader off Amazon to try but sadly no codes found. I guess no CEL means no code? Anyone know where I should start my diagnosis? I'm hoping it's as simple as a APP sensor replacement that most people seem to think but since I don't have a code I don't know where to start. I don't want to buy the part for nothing.

Sorry for the long post. I figured the more info the better. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Connected

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting. I had this exact same problem with a 2016 ILX with 1600 miles on it.

Was sitting at a red light, went to hit the gas when light turned green, and nothing. The MID showed "Check VSA", "Check Emissions", "Check Power Steering" and kept cycling through those error messages. The car was in limp, and gave me about 3mph - enough to pull to the side of the road. RoadSide had me towed to Acura, where it has been under investigation for the past week. They have no idea and can't replicate the problem. They even talked to someone at corporate who is sending a new "part". I'm still waiting to hear what the part is... but maybe it's a new APP sensor...

Ridiculous is this is happening on brand new cars...
Old 05-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SENATOR
Interesting. I had this exact same problem with a 2016 ILX with 1600 miles on it.

Was sitting at a red light, went to hit the gas when light turned green, and nothing. The MID showed "Check VSA", "Check Emissions", "Check Power Steering" and kept cycling through those error messages. The car was in limp, and gave me about 3mph - enough to pull to the side of the road. RoadSide had me towed to Acura, where it has been under investigation for the past week. They have no idea and can't replicate the problem. They even talked to someone at corporate who is sending a new "part". I'm still waiting to hear what the part is... but maybe it's a new APP sensor...

Ridiculous is this is happening on brand new cars...
I don't think it's the APP sensor. It might light up your dash, but it lets you cruise a little faster than 3 mph. For 2016, the ILX gets the new DCT. This transmission has had a string of issues, not just for Acura. The TLX guys reported something similar. There was a low key recall to check for issues with binding in the valve body due to the pawl bar getting eaten up. Mark it up to poor design of controls and safety checks. Keep us updated on what Acura says and tell us the code they pulled. If they say they didn't pull a code or couldn't replicate it, call ACS and tell them you want a buy back.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Here's a snippet of one of the lawsuits and issues being reported.. there are also a few threads in the TLX side. You should post your experience on the ILX board. So other users know what to look out for.

Honda was hit with a class action lawsuit by an Oregon man in a California federal court alleging that 2015 Acura TLX i4 cars are made with defect transmissions, which the automaker hid from its customers. Plaintiff Roger Kornfein claims in his Acura class action lawsuit filed against the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. that the alleged “defective transmissions cause Class Vehicles to hesitate while shifting gears, shift roughly and noisily, and leaves drivers unable to reliably control their vehicles’ speed. “In some instances, the defect causes Class Vehicles’ transmissions to act as if they had shifted into neutral, leaving drivers unable to accelerate at all (even when the vehicle is in operation),” Kornfein’s Acura class action lawsuit states.

In addition, the class action lawsuit alleges that “Honda knows about the transmission defect, and is aware that consumers are experiencing shifting and hesitation problems. “Nevertheless, Honda has not disclosed the defect to current owners and lessees of Class Vehicles, and instead continues to sell vehicles with defective transmissions and promote the transmissions as reliable and smooth-shifting,” Kornfein claim in his Acura defective transmission class action lawsuit.

Kornfein claims that he purchased a brand new 2015 Acura TLX 4i from an Acura dealership in Portland, Oregon in September 2014. “About two weeks after his purchase, Mr. Kornfein was making a turn through an intersection when the vehicle’s transmission acted as if it had been shifted into neutral: the engine revved but no power was delivered to the wheels and the TLX was unable to accelerate through the turn,” the Acura class action lawsuit states. “Had there been oncoming traffic, this could have easily led to a collision.”

Kornfein claims that since that incident, his Acura TLX continues to have “shifting and hesitation problems on a daily basis,” in which he says that it typically takes one to two seconds for the transmission in his vehicle to fit between gears and if he tried to put more gas on the accelerator, it merely causes the engine to rev up like it would if it were in neutral. “When decelerating below 20 miles per hour, the transmission intermittently downshifts very suddenly,” he explains in his Acura defective transmission class action lawsuit. “The vehicle also often seems to ride in an inappropriately high gear for its speed.

“When accelerating at low speeds or from a stop, the vehicle often takes one or two seconds to shift into gear, and there is a ‘grab’ that causes the vehicle to feel as though it is jerking forward,” the Oregon man claims. “When shifting between Park, Drive, and Reverse, it always takes two to three seconds for the transmission to shift after the stick has been moved,” the class action lawsuit states. But “most alarmingly, Mr. Kornfein’s vehicle continues to experience the issue where his vehicle’s transmission acts as if it had slipped into neutral, which occurs at least once a week.” Kornfein says that he contacted Acura about the problem and was told to take the TLX to his local dealership. However, the technicians were unable to “replicate the issue where the vehicle acted as if it had slipped into neutral.

“Although the technicians could replicate the vehicle’s other issues, they were unable to pull any error codes and declined to perform further diagnostic or repair,” the Acura TLX class action lawsuit claims. When the Oregon man made more visits to the dealership, he says that the staff there did say that others had complained of the same transmission problems with the TLX “and that there does appear to be a problem with the transmission (as measured by customer feedback).” However, “Kornfein has followed up with Acura Client Relations, but Honda’s corporate representatives refuse to admit that there is a problem and say that there is no further information available on the matter,” he adds in the Acura class action lawsuit.

Kornfein sent a “pre-litigation notice to Honda,” which was received by the automaker on Jan. 22, 2015. The Oregon man had “asked that Honda notify all current and former owners and lessees of Class Vehicles about the defect and pledge to repair the defect at no cost to TLX drivers. Honda responded with a letter on Feb. 11, 2015, stating “that the dealership had identified and addressed Mr. Kornfein’s complaints and that there were no reported outstanding issues at this time.” However, Kornfein says that he still faces driving difficulties and potential safety hazards due to the alleged transmission defect.

Honda’s U.S. headquarters are located in Torrance, California. The Oregon man is looking to represent a nationwide class and an Oregon class anyone who has purchased or leased a 2015 Acura TLC i4. Kornfein alleges in his Acura class action lawsuit that Honda has violated the California Consumers Legal Remedies Act, California’s Unfair Competition Law, Oregon’s Unfair Trade Practices Act, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and breaches of express and implied warranty. The plaintiff is represented by Eric H. Gibbs, Dylan Hughes, and Steve Lopez of the Gibbs Law Group LLP.

The Acura Defective Transmission Class Action Lawsuit is Roger Kornfein v. American Honda Motor Company, Inc., Case No. 2:15-cv-01295, in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM
1st Gear

Honda inspire has same problem

I changed my spark plug coil ....simple fix
Old 06-26-2015, 12:50 PM
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please help. I have an Acura tl 04 a couple weeks ago my car stared to do the same thing when I come to stop it doesn't let me accelerate and goes really slow I took it to a local mechanic where he could also find the problem my tsa light is on and my check engine in on and it also has a strong odor of gasoline coming from the exhaust
BobcatGuy (01-25-2020)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Sorry my vsa light^
BobcatGuy (01-25-2020)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:26 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Joceline95
...I took it to a local mechanic where he could also find the problem my tsa light is on and my check engine in on and it also has a strong odor of gasoline coming from the exhaust

Your mechanic should have used a code reader and told you what the cause of your car's problem was based on the error code[s] that came up in the reader.
Let us know if you were told the codes or if any are listed on the estimate for repair.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:17 PM
3rd Gear

Possible transmission issue?

Originally Posted by Will Y.

Your mechanic should have used a code reader and told you what the cause of your car's problem was based on the error code[s] that came up in the reader.
Let us know if you were told the codes or if any are listed on the estimate for repair.

Welcome to AZ.
Code that was first given was p2138 but then the car went crazy the other day and I can only drive it for like 2 minutes before it just completely does not move like I am able to back up but not drive forward
Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM
1st Gear

Same problem!

I have a 2006 Acura TL with an automatic transmission. I was in the middle of driving also when the check engine light, vsa light, and the triangle with an exclamation point in it turned on. I then approached a stop light, where I had to stop conpletely, and when I tried to accelerate, I couldn't. The car barely made it to 20mph and would not pass 1500 rpm so I had to pull over. I tried restarting the car and the vsa light and triangle did not turn on but the check engine light remained on. I was able to accelerate normally afterwards but I am not sure what happened or what's wrong. Someone please help!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

VSA Warning light, Engine light, Blinking green drive light when I gear.

I have a 2006 Acura TL automatic with 160k miles. All of the sudden one morning my headlights, horn, window wipers, keyless entry, stopped working. Thought it was very strange. Drove it down the block and my VSA light and check engine light came on. Also, the dive light started blinking. Then the vehicle would not accelerate. Pulled over and checked the codes. It is throwing a p0974 and a p2770. Which is a shift solenoid and a torque converter clutch. After reading this thread I'm hoping my codes are not correct and the problem is my APP sensor. But I can not determine what is going on electrically. All of it happened at the same time. If you guys have any knowledge please let me know. Thanks
Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by TSX_22
Code that was first given was p2138 but then the car went crazy the other day and I can only drive it for like 2 minutes before it just completely does not move like I am able to back up but not drive forward
P2138 is the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor-- not uncommon, and easy fix.

Originally Posted by Andy Nguyen
The car barely made it to 20mph and would not pass 1500 rpm so I had to pull over. I tried restarting the car and the vsa light and triangle did not turn on but the check engine light remained on. I was able to accelerate normally afterwards but I am not sure what happened or what's wrong. Someone please help!
The vehicle is in limp mode. The car should have generated an error code (or several codes) that will likely disclose the problem-- codes are read by a mechanic or auto parts store using a code reader.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by Jonathan Goswitz
It is throwing a p0974 and a p2770. Which is a shift solenoid and a torque converter clutch. After reading this thread I'm hoping my codes are not correct and the problem is my APP sensor.
No, those are both transmission-related solenoid codes. The APP sensor would have generated a separate code. Hopefully your car's problem can be fixed by replacement of the solenoids.

Otherwise, a torque converter issue will mean replacement of the transmission and torque converter.

Welcome to AZ.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

vsa warning issue..same circumstances

Originally Posted by RexDaddy
Good info in this thread. Just figured I share this story in case anyone else runs into a similar situation, which is different from where this thread started.

Two weeks ago, had front brakes replaced on 2006 TL as they were due. Got in the car and took a 600 mile r/t noticing all the way there was a slight vibration in front at speeds over 50. Wasn't enough to cause immediate concern, but was going to have it checked out.

Last night, driving on highway, felt like Luke Skywalker with R2D2 having a meltdown. Check Engine light comes on, ! warning light comes on and VPS indicator comes on. Wife told me to watch my language. I was going about 70mph and it felt like the wheels were going different speeds. RPMs and all other indicators were fine, though.

Wife checked Owner's Manual which said to pull over, turn off and turn car back on to reset VSA, which worked, but the Check Engine light stayed on and jumpy feeling was still there, though not as severe. Wasn't forced to drive slow (good thing! driving on DC Beltway would have been hell) but you could tell something still wasn't right. Thought was a sensor was malfunctioning or when they replaced brakes, something didn't get reset.

Taking car to local trusted mechanic, but want to give him the solutions you all have come up with. Thanks for the info. Will let you know answer he comes up with and how much.

Hi can you please post here about the fix for this. i changed brakes and the same issue ..vsa light on.turned off vehicle and on and it is working but the acclerator is not working
Old 10-29-2015, 07:15 PM
2nd Gear

Malfunction Indicator Lamp, VSA Sy078stem Indicator, and VSA Activation Indicator

I have never posted on these sites before but they have been so beneficial I wanted to try and help someone else the same ways you all have helped me. (... and thank you!)

Car Type: 2009 Honda Pilot EX 2WD, not the Touring Model. Mileage: 84,350miles

While driving on pavement at approx. 40 MPH, dry road conditions, outside temperature around 75 degrees (F), three lights illuminated on dashboard. The three lights were:
1. Malfunction Indicator Lamp
2. Vehicle Stability Assist System Indicator (VSA) Light
3. VSA Activation Indicator (the triangle w/exclamation mark)

No other indications of a problem were recognized. Stopped the car, turned it off and restarted it. Both of the VSA lights did not re-illuminate, but the Malfunction Indicator Lamp stayed on. Drove it 5 miles to the house with no problems. The next morning drove it to Honda dealership for diagnosis. The VSA lights stayed off. Still no other signs of malfunction. Oil level was normal. No obvious sign of a misfire that is so often associated with this problem.

Looking back, two weeks prior to my oil change (approx. 2 months before this issue happened), I was checking the oil for routine maintenance, my oil dipstick was completely dry. No leaks, no burning oil, no other problems and I could not figure out why. Added some oil and checked it closely for the next couple weeks without issue. Lack of oil is related to this problem. Keep reading.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the dashboard lights as a problem covered under the TSB, see below. The repair was stated as "needs PCM update and plugs." Code read out was 0302. Performed Service Bulletin (S/B or TSB) "S/B 13-078, S/B 13-079, S/B 13-080, S/B 13-081"

Here's the real news!!!! Honda has extended the warranty to cover this problem. Some vehicles need only a software upgrade on the Power Control Module (PCM) and a change of the spark plugs, while other may need that along with piston and ring replacements, which are also covered. Please note the following Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) issued by Honda regarding this problem. These are also available at www.hondaproblems.com

List of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB or S/B)
#S/B 10-063, NHTSA Reference: #10034973
#S/B 13-082, NHTSA Reference: #10053786
#S/B 102213, NHTSA Reference: #10053762

Please take a look at these three or you can also call the dealer and ask them for any other Service Bulletins. As you can see from my paragraph above, none of my Service Bulletins diagnosed are listed here. I am not familiar with their numbering system but the indications are identical.

The end result of having this problem is that your car will misfire and eventually can cause further problems. You may not notice the misfires. I did not. The car ran normal as always. The repair cost me nothing. The diagnosis fee was not charged either. I took the car in at 7:30am and the diagnosis and repair were completed by 12:30pm. Remember, your repair may take longer because they will likely need to order the rings and pistons, however, the spark plugs and the software update was simple.

This is just one more reason I will buy another Honda as my next car. I pray this saves someone trouble or provides some information that is helpful. I'm not a fan of taking my car to the dealer but this is a situation where it makes sense.
Old 01-30-2016, 04:43 PM
1st Gear

My car is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out what the problem was??
Old 01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

Thanks All for all the information provided over here.

I have the same issue on my 2008 Model, Honda Accord 3.5L V6 engine.

My navigation system, Time Clock, Radio/Music suddenly get reset (Like a hiccups/burp) and come to normal. But this happen often.
Sometime the engine light, VSA light, and Yellow Bell lights start showing up but there wont be any issue in driving.
sometime when i am waiting at traffic lights the vehicle will have hiccups/burp and my car will start dragging me not more than 15-20KMPH then i have to pump the accelerator for 3-4 time continuously to bring that back to normal.

Whenever i decide to take the vehicle to the mechanic/honda service center my vehicle will be perfectly alright.

Once i tool the vehicle to Honda service center and they said that they couldn't replicate the issue but still the have reset everything and asked me check and they charged be $150 for this without replacing any shit in my car. they also mentioned in the bill that if this happen again then they need to do a detail analysis of issue.

After a weak or so i again started facing the same issue now they want me to leave the vehicle at the service center for a whole day for checking all the electrical wiring and all. what they say is the issue can be anything minor/major but they have to diagnose the same as they haven't faced this issue previously on any of the vehicle.

I spoke with 2 honda Service center to know about the price for APP Sensor but what they say is that in this model APP sensor is not available and one of the dealer also told that it might be the Accelerator Pedal Assembly which would have been replaces with APP sensor in this model, but not sure whether he is right or not.

One of the service center to whom i spoke is the same place where i booked the appointment for this issue for 10th feb, the person to whom I spoke was very rude when i asked for the part price, he was thinking that i wont give my car for service if he give the information to me and he also asked who told you to change the APP sensor and he also told that in your model there is no APP sensor and you have to bring your vehicle here to diagnose the issue.

In this whole thread most of the models are mentioned as 2003-2006.

Did anyone having 2008 model faced the similar issue?
What has been replaced for APP sensor in 2008 Model?

Any input will be highly approciated
Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM
2nd Gear

VSA Diagnosis

Originally Posted by Victoriabowles
My car is doing the exact same thing. Did you ever figure out what the problem was??
Yes, it needed a software update and they replaced the spark plugs as well. I was very detailed in my previous paragraph, listing TSB's, etc. Please review that info. Just recently the EMI light came on again and this time the oil was extremely low again, but no VSA light or other lights. I took it back to Honda and they told me they will now replace the piston rings. It's the next step if the first software update doesn't fix it. All of this is covered but make note that the piston ring change is a 2 day job. Best of luck to you. If you have no indications that some thing is wrong while driving other than the VSA and EMI lights, I would check the oil. If it's very low, there's a decent chance this is what's wrong.
Old 05-30-2016, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

This happened to me yesterday. I was at a red light and VSA, /!\, and CEL went on at the same time. Gave it some gas and car barely moved. Pulled over to the side and restarted the car. Only CEL light was on after that and the car drives normal again. Cleared the CEL and all three lights came back. Restarted and only CEL again.

Now today when I started the car, the CEL went off. I scanned it and the code is still stored.

I already ordered a new APP online from Acura. Should I return it if the CEL went off? It was $170.

Quick Reply: VSA warning and engine light (can NOT accelerate while driving!)