vibrating when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
2004 Acura TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
vibrating when accelerating

here's the story..
i had a friend of mine replace my axles and he did the driver side but had trouble removing the passenger side axle out. he tried prying it out and all and cracked the intermediate shaft bracket. so i told him to put it back together so i could take it to the shop. as i pulled out his driveway the car was vibrating when i accelerated and stopped as i let off the gas. the shop put a new intermediate shaft in and also replaced the passenger axle and it still vibrated. changed a broken motor mount and still vibrated. then he changed the transmission mounts and now is still getting vibration when accelerating. does anyone have any idea what could cause this? please help
Old 12-30-2010, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mrconnecticut
here's the story..
i had a friend of mine replace my axles and he did the driver side but had trouble removing the passenger side axle out. he tried prying it out and all and cracked the intermediate shaft bracket. so i told him to put it back together so i could take it to the shop. as i pulled out his driveway the car was vibrating when i accelerated and stopped as i let off the gas. the shop put a new intermediate shaft in and also replaced the passenger axle and it still vibrated. changed a broken motor mount and still vibrated. then he changed the transmission mounts and now is still getting vibration when accelerating. does anyone have any idea what could cause this? please help
did they replace that bracket?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
2004 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
did they replace that bracket?
well the don't sell just the bracket so i had to get the whole intermediate shaft, so yes
Old 12-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
I'd be looking at the side the friend replaced .. maybe he bent something if he managed to crack that bracket.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM
2004 Acura TL

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
I'd be looking at the side the friend replaced .. maybe he bent something if he managed to crack that bracket.
he changed the driver side.. the passenger side is the side he couldn't change.. i also had the shop check the side he changed and they said it was put in fine. the shop is going to be checking the axles tomorrow to see if the axles are bad.. they are not OEM axles
Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Sounds like an inner CV joint, but that would mean the replacement axle on the driver's side is bad or both the old and replacement axle on the passenger side. I remember the previous thread where he couldn't remove the axle as he was trying hard to remove the intermediate shaft instead of the outer axle. Check the joints by hand and if nothing found, I'd get it on a lift and raise the wheels off the ground and have the front wheels under power and check to see if the intermediate shaft rotates properly and isn't out of round to make certain the trans isn't damaged from the excessive prying, then look at the outer axle on the passenger side and the driver's side axle for trueness.
So much for having a friend do the work.