Trunk is sticking

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007 | 07:20 AM
Advanced

Trunk is sticking

I know the TL has a rather cheap trunk lid, but now when I open it from inside the car in many cases it unlatches but remains shut and it feels like it is sticking along the rubber around the edges. I don't think I would take it in to fix, just curious if others have experienced this?
Old 04-21-2007 | 07:29 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

You could try cleaning the rubber seals with dilute simple green or something like it, then rinsing and drying, then applying 303. Don't forget to clean the trunk lid, too.
I hope that helps.
Mike
Old 04-21-2007 | 09:45 AM
Man of God.....

Thumbs up

Just last week I had the dealership fix this. It was just out of adjustment. The springs, I mean. I have only 25k on my 06TL. So it was no charge!! It works great now!
Old 04-24-2007 | 03:26 AM
Supercharged 2005 TL NBP

might be that you hardly use your trunk or not cleaning the rubber lining, had the same problem once just cleaned it and it works great now haha
~Jason
Old 04-24-2007 | 11:42 PM
Senior Moderator

clean the rubber off. I know as soon as i put some 303 on the seals and rubber, it springs up a bit higher.
Old 04-25-2007 | 05:29 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Silicone spray is the way to go on all rubber seals on any car. Spray it on a rag and wipe the seals. This fixed any and all problems I had with "trunk stick". It also will keep seals preserved and running quiet. That said I don't use it anywhere else. I've found 303 is best for tires, dash, etc.
Old 04-25-2007 | 11:09 PM
5th Gear

How is the trunk supposed to open if operating properly? Should the trunk just pop and open less than an inch, and then the user must fully open the trunk the rest of the way to fully open the trunk? Or should the trunk pop and fully open itself? I have a 07 TL-S and when I pop the trunk it opens less than an inch, and then I have to fully open the trunk the rest of the way.

After analyzing the trunk I noticed the rubber seals are very tacky, and when I pop the trunk you can hear the trunk lid un-sticking from the rubber seal slowly before it reaches it’s height of less then an inch from the closed position. I have Zymol Seal to treat the seals with; I’ll give that a try and see it will reduce the tackiness of the rubber. The rubber and where the rubber meets the trunk are completely clean (I clean all the jams every time I wash the car).

Once I try to open (or close) the trunk lid, I feel a little resistance on the trunk arms as they move out (or in) when the trunk opens (or closes). I can also hear a little rubbing type noise (possibly springs? Could it be something else) from both trunk arms are I open or close the trunk, mainly from the close position just past half way open, and seems to fade away as the trunk is nearly open to fully open position. For example, if I take the trunk lid (from the just popped position) and give it a fling upward to let it fully open it will open a little past where I let go, but the resistance feeling will bring the trunk lid to a stop (without ever fully opening unless I manually open the trunk lid fully). So I know it’s not just the tacky/sticky rubber seal holding the trunk back from fully opening, assume it should fully open once popped?
Old 06-26-2014 | 09:44 AM
1st Gear

Hello my trunk lid sticks closed if I leave it alone for awhile, but if I open it a few times in a row, it usually opens. On the times it doesnt open, you can hear the mechanism working but I still have to pull on it. Also, at random times, the alarm will go off when I open the trunk! Anyone have these issues? They are frustratingly inconsistent