Transmission Problems on my 2008 TL Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 03:34 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Problems on my 2008 TL Type-S?

The problem started about 3 to 4 months ago. The problem is really subtle but noticeable. It occurs once, maybe twice a month. After the first few times this has happened I ignored it but its getting more noticeable and its occurring more often. After getting off a complete stop, around 30-35 MPH my car revs multiple times in between gears and the car accelerates and decelerates multiple times. I'm not sure what gears these are. I think it might be gears 3 through 4 or 4 through 5. This problem occurs randomly without warning. The revving lasts for 1 to 2 seconds. Once the car switches to the next gear everything is back to normal. The problem came up yesterday afternoon last. I have been trying to reproduce the problem but haven't been successful. I will keep trying to reproduce the problem. I maintain my car very well and do everything by the book. Last time I changed my trans fluid was at 65K miles in May of 2012 with Acura DW-1. My car now has 76K miles.

My first thought was my transmission is giving out. I have a warranty but I fear that if I take it to the Acura dealership they won't be able to reproduce the problem and I don't know if they will take the transmission apart without reproducing the problem. I also checked my car for codes. No codes show up. I am thinking of taking it in this weekend regardless if I can or can't reproduce the problem. What's going on with my car? Is it the tranny? What do y'all think I should do?

BTW my car is a 2008 Acura TL Type-S A/T
Old 02-25-2013, 03:38 PM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
sounds like your clutch disks are slipping either from wear or debris. Acura will recommend a complete flush of your trans (similar issue with my trans was happening) and it will either fix it or make it worse, in my case it fixed it and im rollin on for now.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg
sounds like your clutch disks are slipping either from wear or debris. Acura will recommend a complete flush of your trans (similar issue with my trans was happening) and it will either fix it or make it worse, in my case it fixed it and im rollin on for now.
If they tell me to flush and it gets worse, will the transmission have to be remanufactured?
Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM
TLicious Type S

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts
If you have a warranty, take it to the dealer now and register the problem with them. Even if they can't reproduce it, they'll have a record of the complaint.

Also, if you have a smartphone, you might video the problem when it next happens (showing the tach and speedometer), then show it to the dealer.

If it is a bouncing feeling, this might indicate transmission pressure switches (there are two for 3rd gear, and 1 for 4th gear).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
This is kind of like the same exact problem I'm having except its between 3 and 4 for me. I have the same car and the same mileage. However for me it happened all of a sudden one day. My car slows down when going through 3rd to 4th and in 4th it revs way up for a second and back to normal.

Last edited by NavS; 02-25-2013 at 08:07 PM.