Transmission Fluid Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid Question?

Hey all,
As some of you may know I just had a brand new housing placed around my trans due to a crack and also just had a clutch replacement. I had asked the shop doing the work if they could replace the fluid back with new AC delco syncromesh stuff (has been used on the car since 40k). They said they could and I felt happy about that. However after getting the car back and confirming that they used my requested fluid, the owner said they didn't want to go to the trouble of going to GM and getting the fluid, and they never notified me of that otherwise I would've gotten it myself for them. They ended up using a mobil 1 product (nothing against mobil 1) but this sh*t sucks. Shifting through gears feels tough and almost grindy. Long story short I want to switch back to the AC delco fluid. Would I notice a difference at all if I just did a drain and fill? Or should I have my mechanic do a full flush (since that was what was done at the trans shop during the housing change) and change the fluid 100%. I'm not going to do either by myself again after my expensive mis-hap, but I was curious. Thanks all! Car is a 2005 TL 6MT + Navi
Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
Why not make them do.it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Why not make them do.it.
I suppose I could, but I'm sure they would charge me for that.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Chase Howard
...They ended up using a mobil 1 product (nothing against mobil 1) but this sh*t sucks. Shifting through gears feels tough and almost grindy. Long story short I want to switch back to the AC delco fluid. Would I notice a difference at all if I just did a drain and fill? Or should I have my mechanic do a full flush (since that was what was done at the trans shop during the housing change) and change the fluid 100%.
When it comes to manual transmissions, there is no such a thing as a "flush", when you pull the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission case, ~98% of the MTF pours out (the ~2% remaining is the stuff clinging to the innards of the transmission). The process your transmission needs is a simply drain/refill with two-quarts plus ten ounces (i.e. 74 ounces) of new Synchromesh FM.

The above said, I agree with thoiboi, have them do it.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:36 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by horseshoez
When it comes to manual transmissions, there is no such a thing as a "flush", when you pull the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission case, ~98% of the MTF pours out (the ~2% remaining is the stuff clinging to the innards of the transmission). The process your transmission needs is a simply drain/refill with two-quarts plus ten ounces (i.e. 74 ounces) of new Synchromesh FM.

The above said, I agree with thoiboi, have them do it.
Well I wasn't going to do it by myself again. Too risky after what happened lol. I'll give them a call and ask if they can do it. The owner is kind of an a$$, but oh well.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,755 Likes on 6,752 Posts
He's an ass for promising to do one thing but then went ahead and took another direction without your approval. It feels like shit and he should fix it now. A good compromise would be free labor while you provide the fluid.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thoiboi
He's an ass for promising to do one thing but then went ahead and took another direction without your approval. It feels like shit and he should fix it now. A good compromise would be free labor while you provide the fluid.
True, and just a generally rude kind of hard ass guy. But I'll call him and see what kind of deal I can get. Thank you guys for the quick replies. I love this forum.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Just make certain that they fill with the correct amount as some, after draining, just open the top fill hole then fill unitl
fluid flow out.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
Just make certain that they fill with the correct amount as some, after draining, just open the top fill hole then fill unitl
fluid flow out.
after seeing how lazy they were initially, i imagine they'll throw the whole 3 litres in or skimp with 2. Can never trust mechanics unless you're breathing over their shoulder.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WDPanda
after seeing how lazy they were initially, i imagine they'll throw the whole 3 litres in or skimp with 2. Can never trust mechanics unless you're breathing over their shoulder.
That's kinda of my logic too. Plus I'm going to my trusted mechanic to get some new rotors slapped on sometime this week anyways. Might as well kill two birds at one place...
Old 10-17-2017, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
If you paid by credit card, open a dispute if he refuses to make things right somehow. The fact that you were very specific with what fluid you wanted and they agreed, they owe you at this point since they didn't deliver yet still charged for the service. My local NTB offered up a fluid change on my '05 and I told them if they can do it for that price while using GM SMFM fluid, to go ahead. They sourced the fluid from the local Chevy dealer and did the service with no issues. I even arrived early to confirm they were using the correct fluid and saw the service tech putting in the proper juice.