Tranny problems?? (5AT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008 | 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Tranny problems?? (5AT)

Has anyone had any problems with the 3G TL? I have a 2005 5AT with 37,000 miles and I've been having wierd problems with the car since day one. I maybe a little paranoid, but lets go through the list...

1) Putting it in reverse, it makes a really loud clunking sound (i'm pretty sure it never made a sound at first, but I may be wrong) --And I always keep the parking brake up and release it once i'm in gear.

2) Shifting seems really....jerky. Sometimes it hesitates trying to find what gear to put itself in

3) Heres the scariest one of all...It probably happened roughly 4-5 times throughout the whole cars life. I usually put the car in sport-shift when approaching a highway ramp (probably the only time i use sport shift) to get more speed, and I sometimes it would literally STAY in that gear (even if you try moving it up/down/back to drive) The worst part was it stayed in 2nd gear until I pulled over, turned the car off and turned it back on! I was so freaked out...I took it to Chevy Chase Acura and they said they couldn't find anythign wrong with it...go figure.

I guess I really need another TL to compare it too, but my tranny just feels like junk, even when it was new. Some days it would work like a charm, others it would freak out...and on a really good day it'll really **** up and stay in 2nd gear on the highway. I'm going to take it to Rosenthal Acura tomorrow and see whats up...hopefully they can fix it, or even replace it. I just don't wanna be stuck with this tranny after the warrenty is out because I have a feeling its going to die the day after the warrenty is done. Any thoughts/input?
Old 01-22-2008 | 02:54 PM
Race Director

surprisingly my 08 TLS tranny is also not that smooth, especially when dropping in reverse, most of the time it is quiet, but once in a while i do feel the vibration and a loud noise, like when the car is cold.

And I definitely feel gears 2 and 3, especially when deccelerating @ 20mph. But I guess I'm use to it since my 2G tranny was also crappy
Old 01-22-2008 | 03:35 PM
aTLien

yea i drive a 07 type s 5 a/t, but when i put it into reverse it also makes a loud crank,

luckily i havent had any gear problems like your sticking to 2nd... scary

but yea my car seems like it doesnt know which gear to put into, im always thinking it should be shifting up soon, and doesnt till a couple of rpms even when accelerating slowly. sometime tho.

but im fairly happy w. my tl
Old 01-22-2008 | 03:42 PM
sjo
Racer

04 5AT TL here. Random shuddering from 2nd to 3rd at around 1500rpm. Only happens when the car isn't warmed up though. Odd...
Old 01-22-2008 | 03:54 PM
Team Owner

take it back in and tell the service MANAGER to drive it home to see the problem, that usually gets them working on it! 2nd gear stickage is major failure signal
Make sure you are talking with the service MANAGER about the ~problem not found~ before, and trans sticking in 2nd now on freeway

Notify Acura 1-800-382-2238 x5 of the problem and open a claim file- the phone people are not car people - they just take a report and pass it along to managers

If you had a gen2- they would already be replacing the trans with any of the symptoms of slipping or shudder under light throttle coming off the line into 2nd 3rd

The court extended gen2 1999-early 2003 trans warranty to 7yrs+9months or 109k miles!!
and members out of vin range or over miles are still getting free replacement under ~Acura goodwill~

Use of SS mode has nothing to do with the failure- its the clutch pack- they didnt get a decent fix on gen2 replacement trans until mid 2005, so you can figure the gen3 cars have similar problem
See gen2 thread Transmission failure for details
Mention acurazine, and if it were a gen2 would they think trans problems?

The other possibilty on just shaking- not slipping trans, may be the front or side motor mount failed.
Old 01-22-2008 | 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks man, i'll deff talk to the Service Manager tomorrow, if they don't fix it, i'll probably open a claim.
Old 01-22-2008 | 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Open the claim to document the problem- then if it fails later you are already in the system.
Consider it making a report to manager
Old 01-22-2008 | 07:20 PM
I have car ADD

Hey JJaber. if you've already searched, you know its common

1) clunking noise, i get it alot .especially when the car is cold. both my TL-s have done it, as well as most other automatic vehicles (my girls honda, my old ford)

2) the jerky feeling, i dunno really what to say about that. the new gradelogic tranny in the 07+ TL-S is very very aggressive, so its always jerk, hesitating to shift, and downshifting violently on hills

3) the 2nd to the 3rd gear thing happened several times on my 06, and its happened to alot of other members. One member said acura claimed it had something to do with slippery conditions and the VSA... usually, slowing the car back down to normal 2nd gear RPM range will let you shift back.. . i too drive in SS mode about 90% of the time

One thing i want to bring to the table, and see others opinion is...

sometimes, if i am going downhill... the car wont shift into a higher gear in AUTO mode... i will be going about 40mph down a steep hill, the car stays in 3rd @ like 3rpm or more.. i usually just slap it over into SS mode, and force it into 4th gear...

anybody else have that problem?
Old 01-22-2008 | 08:46 PM
Team Owner

the answer to many operational features and issue of the auto trans can be found in the owners operating handbook
here is the link for free one if you dont have
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...01_OMANUAL.asp
Old 01-23-2008 | 04:40 PM
I like to whistle in my

"... usually, slowing the car back down to normal 2nd gear RPM range will let you shift back.. . i too drive in SS mode about 90% of the time.."

this is what i have experienced. If you take it back down below like 3 -to- 3500 rpms it should shift back up. I had time where it seemed the car took over ...like it would skip 3rd and go to 4th in SS mode when i get on it in second gear. At this time my tranny fluid was pretty dirty and maybe it was slipping or maybe a safety feature. I know after i changed it, everything felt great. Check your tranny fluid levels from time to time ( if it has been changed which it looks like it would have been too early for you) and make sure everything is filled
Old 01-23-2008 | 06:52 PM
Suzuka Master

I think im going to change my tranny fluid and see what that does. They have a $90 option (drain and refill) or a $280 option (tranny flush)....which one should I do?
Old 01-23-2008 | 10:54 PM
Team Owner

JJ - NEITHER

a basic 3 qt drain and fill is worthless IMHO- the trans holds 7.3 something quarts~ why would you change half the fluid and call it done?
The 3 qts x 3 times with 5 minute drive between each drain/fill will circulate out as much of the old fluid as possible thats trapped in the torque convertor and passageways

Based on gen2 trans probs
fluid may help you for a week and then the trans fails completely
The OP has sticks in 2nd gear- thats all you need to know for failure diagnosis and replacement of transmission unit
GO BACK TO THE DEALER AND TELL THEM THERE IS A REAL PROBLEM
Dont waste money on fluid change to fix a clutch pack problem

Buy me surfing lessons instead~
Old 01-24-2008 | 07:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JJaber06
1) Putting it in reverse, it makes a really loud clunking sound (i'm pretty sure it never made a sound at first, but I may be wrong) --And I always keep the parking brake up and release it once i'm in gear.

2) Shifting seems really....jerky. Sometimes it hesitates trying to find what gear to put itself in

3) Heres the scariest one of all...It probably happened roughly 4-5 times throughout the whole cars life. I usually put the car in sport-shift when approaching a highway ramp (probably the only time i use sport shift) to get more speed, and I sometimes it would literally STAY in that gear (even if you try moving it up/down/back to drive) The worst part was it stayed in 2nd gear until I pulled over, turned the car off and turned it back on! I was so freaked out...I took it to Chevy Chase Acura and they said they couldn't find anythign wrong with it...go figure.

I guess I really need another TL to compare it too, but my tranny just feels like junk, even when it was new.
Hey dude,
Sorry to hear your troubles with the car, but here are my thoughts (I have a 06 5AT with 7200 miles)

1. As for shifting into reverse, my car make a nice lound clunk and it actually jerks the car since day one. Picked up the car from the dealer with something like 4 miles on it, and it did it then tooo. I guess this is ok. Our 01 Altima did this as well from day 1 of ownership; therefore, i believe it should be alright

2. Does this happen only in the cold weather? My car tends to "stay" in 2nd and 3 rd gears longer when the car is cold in cold weaterh (below 50 degrees). If its slamming into each gear, that might be due to your tranny fluid? Not really sure. I think, and please correct me if im wrong, that ATF lubricates but thats not it main purpose. Its main purpose is to act as a hydraulic medium, transmitting force and pressure among the various components. Try changing it out (flushing with drain refill 3X or more), and see if it helps out the jerkiness.

3. Never had this happen, and holy crap, i hope it never does happen. Seems like the computer may be getting "Screwed up" in its logic processing? not really sure. thou.

As for seeing for yourself, i would go to various dealerships and test drive 05-06 TLs with similar mileage as yours. It might help clear up some concerns you have.

Best of luck to you!
Old 01-24-2008 | 10:23 AM
Fight On!

As for the clunking sound in reverse...this seems to be the norm. I had a 6th Gen Accord for 9 years that did it from day #1 w/like 7 miles on the car up until I sold it this year @ 113,000 miles. I think there was a Honda TSB telling everyone to have the parking brake up when you put it into reverse on an incline. Tranny never broke 'though in all those years. And yeah, my TL does the exact same in reverse.
Old 01-24-2008 | 10:40 AM
Team Owner

the cars ~warm up program~ holds 1st and 2nd gear to a higher rpm- to help speed engine warming, its also shifts a little bit harder during that time, but should quickly get temp needle movement and return to normal driving mode

If your trans thunks going into reverse, go read gen2 threads on Trans Failure, and read article on acura.com for known failure symptoms. Acura hasn't gotten the the court process with you guys, but you have the same trans as our replacements, that didnt start getting good until mid 2005. (referred to as post 2/05 units in threads)
here is the free owner book link in case you dont have one, and the place to register your car and read Hondas version of what trans actions are ok what are bad news
https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=acura
Old 01-27-2008 | 04:52 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

Exclamation

No it is not going to die when warranty is up, but for some reason the tranny is real jerky. I have a shutter problem between 3rd and 4th gear shifting at low speeds and am going to change the tranny fluid this week. Mileage is 30,000 and is on an 04 ssm 5at tl. Anyhow sounds like a faulty tranny anyhow. Maybe bad mounts or torque converter.
Originally Posted by JJaber06
Has anyone had any problems with the 3G TL? I have a 2005 5AT with 37,000 miles and I've been having wierd problems with the car since day one. I maybe a little paranoid, but lets go through the list...

I guess I really need another TL to compare it too, but my tranny just feels like junk, even when it was new. Some days it would work like a charm, others it would freak out...and on a really good day it'll really **** up and stay in 2nd gear on the highway. I'm going to take it to Rosenthal Acura tomorrow and see whats up...hopefully they can fix it, or even replace it. I just don't wanna be stuck with this tranny after the warrenty is out because I have a feeling its going to die the day after the warrenty is done. Any thoughts/input?
Old 01-27-2008 | 04:57 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

[QUOTE=01tl4tl]JJ - NEITHER

So when I go to the dealer this week for tranny fluid change, what will they be performing? just drain and refill???? The reason I am going to the dealer is incase of tranny failure after fluid change.
Old 01-27-2008 | 05:01 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

the cluck in reverse is normal, I had the same issue.
Old 01-27-2008 | 06:05 PM
Team Owner

If the dealer is charging ~120- thats a straight 3 qts drain and refill
It wont matter who changes the fluid as long as Honda fluid is used.
If you have any issues with the trans now- take it in for that as a compaint,
not a fluid change. The will not look for problems unless told too
If the tech says that it needs fluid change- ok, but dont waste money on fluid when new stuff comes free in the replacement trans.
Old 01-27-2008 | 07:21 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

I have the same problem BLACKURA.. when going both uphill and downhill, I am forced to shift in ss mode or wait impatiently.
Old 01-28-2008 | 06:13 PM
Study

I have an 04 with this problem

It seems the more I gas the jerky'er it is.
Old 01-28-2008 | 06:15 PM
Study

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY

sometimes, if i am going downhill... the car wont shift into a higher gear in AUTO mode... i will be going about 40mph down a steep hill, the car stays in 3rd @ like 3rpm or more.. i usually just slap it over into SS mode, and force it into 4th gear...

That happened to me once, I think it does that on purpose when you go down a certain decline. I kinda liked it, since I didnt have to ride my brakes.
Old 01-28-2008 | 06:41 PM
Team Owner

once again for those without an car owner book for the TL
here is a free download acura manual-
grade logic saves gas- there are many other operating tips in the book too.
I know its like listening to the airline safety briefing, but there really are important things contained within
Old 01-29-2008 | 07:39 PM
Pro

so has everyone come to the conclusion that the jerky shifting in the gradelogic? i have an 08tls 5AT and it seems as though when the car downshifts from 4 -> 3 and 3 -> 2 it is pretty jerky...acceleration is smooth as butter.

also another question to throw into the forum.. (after the car has warmed up or is warm) slowly accelerating from a stop (every time) it feels like the car is pretty heavy, like i have to push on the gas pretty hard just for the car to accelerate. i dont remember this being a problem when i first got the car, but i have over 5200 now and its been more of a recent thing. could it be the ECU, do i have an actual problem or is it all just in my head?
Old 01-30-2008 | 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Hey JJaber. if you've already searched, you know its common

i have that problem also..it doesn't shift up so i put it in ss and change it myself..it doesn't like to go from 4th to 5th either on mine..
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:09 AM
Team Owner

grade logic does not apply to normal downshifting as you slow down
READ owner manual to understand system
If you stomp the gas at low speeds os 25 35 and 45 and it jerks or slips like a bad clutch...
get to the dealer asap!!!
also CALL acura and make a file report- you guys really need to read the gen 2 thread Tranny Failure
call 1-800-382-2238 x5 then call dealer for an appointment
Old 01-30-2008 | 11:10 AM
practicing nihilist

Originally Posted by ssmtl2nv
the cluck in reverse is normal, I had the same issue.
I'm sure most of the people here know what they're experiencing with the clunk in reverse, but mine makes a lot of noise because the doors auto lock when I shift out of park. I'd have to really pay attention to notice over this clunk.
Old 01-31-2008 | 12:35 AM
2nd Gear

I am new to this forum and joined it because while doing some research I came across this thread. I am having the exact same shifting issue where under heavy excelaration on the highway my car gets stuck in second gear and will not shift. while this is happening my car is at between 5000 and 6000 rpms and the engine light flashes indicating a problem is happening right now. I shift the car to neutal and back to drive and then it shifts. This happend 3 out of 5 days. I have had the car to a dealer 2 times in those 5 days and both times they have told me thay can not reproduce the problem and no codes are stored in the computer. This is the only diagnostics they are willing to do, test drive to reproduce and check codes. I asked them to keep the car for a few days or do a tear down to inspect the issue and they will not. I am a sales manager at a Lexus dealership so I asked them to contact the Acura service rep and they did. Even though they know there is a problem with these transmissions they will not do anything basically until the car gets towed in inopperable. Basically they want to leave thei customers stranded or injured before they will admit there is a problem. Hope others with this problem have better luck than I have so far, but it sure is a great selling point for me to use at work.
Old 01-31-2008 | 01:54 AM
Team Owner

Do you get a flashing D5 light on the dash when it sticks in 2nd?
That should be enough to get a replacement trans
Call acura and start a file 1-800-382-2238 x5 so Managers get involved

Acura dealers cannot tear down the trans- forbidden by acura corp, or warranty void on transmission. There are test for known failure probs- and that is their replacement criteria.
all they can really do is smell the dipstick for burnt fluid, check for any codes, and drive it around the block testing the clutches by driving at 25 35 45 and go full throttle- see what it does as it downshifts into a lower gear and tries to accellerate
Does the rpm go up but not the cars speed? Is there delay in gear engagement etc
Good luck and try talking directly with the SERVICE MANAGER not just a service WRITER, managers talk to District Reps and make things happen
Tell the Manager its ok to take your car home at night to really test it
They dont want to get stuck so ........
Old 01-31-2008 | 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

I did speak with the service manager and he did contact his district rep. That has not helped so far. In my previous post I did not say what I have. It is an 2004 TL with 5at. Prodduction date 01/04 2 months after the 2004's effected by the recall which in some cases did require inspection of 2nd gear if they had over 15k miles.
I do not think the d light was flashing but the yellow check engine light was flashing. As far as shifts most are flawless except for when it stick in second gear. Usually I loose speed when the vehicle fails to shift because I let off the gas and have excessive drag at that rpm in that low of a gear. The one detail I forgot to mention in my previous post, and i am not sure if it is relevant is that the mourning of the first time this happened I heard a cracking sound when I started the car. It was a cold morning and when I heard the sound I thought it was the windsheild cracking. I was releaved when none of the glass on the car was cracked but have no idea what i heard. Thanks for your time.
Kevin
Old 03-02-2008 | 10:26 PM
Drifting

I don't have the jerky problem, I have the shift indicator light blinking while driving problem. It's happened about 4 times, the car doesn't act funny. According to the Service Manager, there is nothing wrong ( they couldn't pull any codes), and he said it may be a signal that something is going to go wrong . It just happened again last night. I also noticed more trans whine when accelerating ( almost like a S/C). I've got 60K on her.

WOOP WOOP Happy 2K posts for me!
Old 03-03-2008 | 03:33 PM
2010 CBP SH-AWD

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
grade logic does not apply to normal downshifting as you slow down
READ owner manual to understand system
If you stomp the gas at low speeds os 25 35 and 45 and it jerks or slips like a bad clutch...
get to the dealer asap!!!
also CALL acura and make a file report- you guys really need to read the gen 2 thread Tranny Failure
call 1-800-382-2238 x5 then call dealer for an appointment
So as I'm braking from 40 to 30 my car shouldn't downshift? This whole grade logic crap is confusing the heck out of me!