TL Stuck in Drive - No recognizing Park - Key Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Stuck in Drive - No recognizing Park - Key Stuck

I have an Acura 2005 TL 3.2 Auto. 69,000 miles

So recently I started having a bunch of problems with my Acura TL. Below are a series of events that might be unrelated but hopefully someone here can help.

1. About 2 months ago when I would drive my acura it seemed like the gears would hang when it was trying to shift. Basically if i got to around 40mph it felt like it hovered there and i would have to step on the gas peddle harder making my rpm jump to the next gear.

2. 3 weeks ago I had my window down and noticed when shifting from Park, to Drive, to Park to whatever, it sounded like an unusual clanking metal sound. Not the normal quite shift.

3. 2 weeks ago I pulled into my work and put the car in park. Went to take out key but it was stuck in position 1 and i could not get it out. The wheel locked up and the shifter locked in park position. Tried to turn on car again but just electronics would light up. Seemed like car did not recognize it was in park. Park light would not show up. I jiggled the shifter a bit and finally it went into park and i got my key out.

4. Friday, same thing happened as above however this time i had to use the manual shifter unlock and jiggle the shifter from drive to park a few times before the car recognized it was in park and i could start the car.

5. Same day, I drove it to my house to get paper work and same thing happened however i couldn't get it into park this time. Even with the shifter in drive position the car lights still thought it was in drive even with the engine off. Had to use e brake so car wouldn't role. Got it towed to Acura and they are checking into problem now. Dealer said they got the key out but cant start the car. They are checking into things now.

Anyone experience similar events especially the problem with car? I got an extended 60,000 miles 5 year Acura Care warranty so hopefully things are covered.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:49 PM
9th Gear

Well Acura just called me and apparently when i had an accident 8 months ago, the body shop didnt put everything back together correctly and left things loose. Over time all the electrical and certain parts separated until total failure.

Acura put everything back together. Im making the bodyshop pay for this. That is garbage
Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ffactoryxx
Well Acura just called me and apparently when i had an accident 8 months ago, the body shop didnt put everything back together correctly and left things loose. Over time all the electrical and certain parts separated until total failure.

Acura put everything back together. Im making the bodyshop pay for this. That is garbage
Bodyshops ALWAYS do this. My car was hit by a cement truck and the rear suspention took a hit. I had to go back 4 times before they spent the money to repair the rear end.

Listen, put your car on the lift and make sure they rust proofed the bare metal they fixed. A lot of shops do not do this and in a years time, you have rust building up from the bottom.