TL problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL problems?

Hi guys, looking at getting a 05-07 TL. I currently drive an 04 SRT-4, and am tired of getting tickets just because my cars so loud, and has dark tint. I just started the police academy, and the tickets I've been getting for exhaust, and window tint, and minor speeding citations aren't helping! I feel like Police are just sitting back, and letting every other car drive down the road but when my they see my car they start .

I really enjoy having my car, and suprising people with it, but its not worth the hassle or the money... and possibly sacrificing my career.

Ive thought long & hard about what to get and have basically narrowed it down to an Acura TL. Ive always loved em, and I guess its time to get out of the racing stage, and get something thats nice, comfortable, reliable, and slap some double 5% tint on it and call it a day

How long have you guys had your TL's? What normallu goes wrong with them? Were there any re calls or anything I should look out for when driving/purchasing?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys & gals!

-Josh
Old 07-05-2009, 09:50 PM
7th Gear

6 views, no responces, come on Acura guys!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:47 PM
runnin a little boost

Received 256 Likes on 208 Posts
Originally Posted by 3ndless_TL
Hi guys, looking at getting a 05-07 TL. I currently drive an 04 SRT-4, and am tired of getting tickets just because my cars so loud, and has dark tint. I just started the police academy, and the tickets I've been getting for exhaust, and window tint, and minor speeding citations aren't helping! I feel like Police are just sitting back, and letting every other car drive down the road but when my they see my car they start .

I really enjoy having my car, and suprising people with it, but its not worth the hassle or the money... and possibly sacrificing my career.

Ive thought long & hard about what to get and have basically narrowed it down to an Acura TL. Ive always loved em, and I guess its time to get out of the racing stage, and get something thats nice, comfortable, reliable, and slap some double 5% tint on it and call it a day

How long have you guys had your TL's? What normallu goes wrong with them? Were there any re calls or anything I should look out for when driving/purchasing?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys & gals!

-Josh
I have had my TL for 3 years and not one issue and I am boosted. Try to find a 6 speed if you can and navi is very much worth it. The Academy is brutal try to find the car before it starts. I hope you are running alot, I finished a little over a year ago and wow it was quite an experance.

Good luck with the car and the Academy, but don't fool yourself you will not be able to get a car once you start.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,148 Likes on 775 Posts
6 views, no responces, come on Acura guys!
Well, you could try posting in the main 3G (2004-2008) TL forum instead of in the "problems" section for a little more input-- it's also a holiday weekend.

See https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93 for the main 3G section.

You can do a search on buying a 3G TL, or look at the most recent thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/tl-shopping-734104/

Welcome to AZ and good luck on your search.

Oh, no problems with mine since new. 2 universal concurrent recalls (wiper motor and PS hose) in 2008; some manuals have a 3d gear reluctance issue resolved with new trans fluid.
Get a Navi model for better dash and better voice control integration.
Treat buying a TL like you would any other used car before buying.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:36 AM
Newb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it rattles
Old 07-06-2009, 03:26 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Hi speed
I have had my TL for 3 years and not one issue and I am boosted. Try to find a 6 speed if you can and navi is very much worth it. The Academy is brutal try to find the car before it starts. I hope you are running alot, I finished a little over a year ago and wow it was quite an experance.

Good luck with the car and the Academy, but don't fool yourself you will not be able to get a car once you start.
Well from one future LEO to a current LEO, thanks! Yeah Im also taking classes, and am taking the night course they have in Orlando, FL. So I can still take classes & hold somewhat of a job, haha!

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Well, you could try posting in the main 3G (2004-2008) TL forum instead of in the "problems" section for a little more input-- it's also a holiday weekend.

See https://acurazine.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93 for the main 3G section.

You can do a search on buying a 3G TL, or look at the most recent thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734104

Welcome to AZ and good luck on your search.

Oh, no problems with mine since new. 2 universal concurrent recalls (wiper motor and PS hose) in 2008; some manuals have a 3d gear reluctance issue resolved with new trans fluid.
Get a Navi model for better dash and better voice control integration.
Treat buying a TL like you would any other used car before buying.
Didnt see that section, as I am still getting my bearings with this forum. Yeah, if I got a TL it'd definitely have to have navi, navi is definitely FTMFW!

Originally Posted by spicynoodle116
it rattles
hmm, awesome input!
Old 07-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd say. Watch the front end on dips. Horrible Turning radius. Rattles. Paint is extremely THIN and easy to chip. Besides that, not really any problems. If you can deal with those minor things, expect to have a great car! Though if I had my own choice on any brand. I'd go for Lexus. I own an 05 TL Auto. Fast and Luxurious. Just my style. And thats why I bought my TL. DEFINITELY get the Navi.. That thing comes in handy.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
The 3G garage may help answer some questions, and perhaps open new ones.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/3g-tl-service-department-aka-garage-questions-answers-check-here-first-553557/

Welcome to AZ
Good to see another FL member.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:51 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
I'd say. Watch the front end on dips. Horrible Turning radius. Rattles. Paint is extremely THIN and easy to chip. Besides that, not really any problems. If you can deal with those minor things, expect to have a great car! Though if I had my own choice on any brand. I'd go for Lexus. I own an 05 TL Auto. Fast and Luxurious. Just my style. And thats why I bought my TL. DEFINITELY get the Navi.. That thing comes in handy.
Haha, have you ever driven an SRT-4? or a Neon for that matter? ANYTHING is better than my turning radius; SRT turn radius is definitely FTL.

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
The 3G garage may help answer some questions, and perhaps open new ones.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553557

Welcome to AZ
Good to see another FL member.
Thanks man, ill look into that thread. Hows it up there in Jacksonville? Are there ever any good TL meets? Any coming up?
Old 07-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
You could probably deal with the front end on dips then. You'll love the TL, and you better make sure youve got an extra couple grand for mods, because you WILL get the mod bug. You just will. No matter how broke you are, you will modify it any way you can, so save up.

You'll like the TL, but its gonna really be a change of pace.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by AMAN1
You could probably deal with the front end on dips then. You'll love the TL, and you better make sure youve got an extra couple grand for mods, because you WILL get the mod bug. You just will. No matter how broke you are, you will modify it any way you can, so save up.

You'll like the TL, but its gonna really be a change of pace.
Yeah, I figured as much, Ive always been into modifying cars. I think for a while though I'll be set with just having it, and my buddy owns a tint shop, and as soon as I get it, its gonna have like 10 layers of 5% tint haha, Im big on tint, especially in FL being that it gets like 100+ degrees in your car in less than 15 minutes of it sitting in a parking lot
Old 07-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Thanks man, ill look into that thread. Hows it up there in Jacksonville? Are there ever any good TL meets? Any coming up?
Yes, there is one in Ft. Lauderdale at the end of July. Look in the 'Southeast' section in the Regions section of the forum for threads on local meets in FLA.

Welcome to the forums.