TL out-door Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 12:56 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL out-door Car Cover

Hi everyone,

I am contemplating purchasing a car cover for my TL and wanted to touch base with fellow TL owners who may have already used one.

A couple of my concerns are 1] are these covers safe to use out-doors in windy conditions, (meaning will they scratch the finish?) and 2] securing them against theft (what type of locking device can be used on them)?

Any suggestions on which brands are better to use would be welcome.
Thanks for any of your reply’s

Br
/Felix
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
Car covers are good if they're put on a clean car (because if your car is dirty, you may get some surface scratches when the cover moves over the surface with a breeze), so that's going to be a consideration for a daily driver where the car will be dirty often. I had one and eventually sold it (bought it when I was planning a vacation and the car would sit for a while). I never used it again as my car gets used daily.

Covercraft makes very good covers (the NOAH cover is a good outdoor cover) and can be secured with a cable and a lock that passes underneath the car and the cable passes through 2 holes in the cover, one on either side of the car cover to secure it.

My own opinion, and having owned this type of cover: it's a good cover but for a daily driver, it's likely not worth the hassle of covering the car when you're done for the day and have to use the car the next day, and be aware that paint can be scratched if there's dirt between the underside of the cover and your car's finish.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
^^basically what he said.

i used a car cover (see avatar-custom fit NOAH cover by Covercraft) for my TL and my TL was my DD. i'm just really anal and the car was parked under trees (pollen/sap/bird bombs). i couldn't stand the tree fall out coming down on my car after i had just washed the car. my car was always clean prior to using the cover. since i park in garages at work all i had to do was dust the car off, maybe spray and wipe with detail spray and put the cover back on. i never had to secure my cover. i did get the gust guards to cinch the cover down and bit better over the car if it was going to be breezy. i didn't mind donning/doffing the cover on the car everyday. it only takes a couple of minutes.

as far as scratches are concerned, there is always a risk. i used the cover for over 6 yrs (2 different ones) and had VERY few light scratches on the car. they have since been removed and the car now sleeps in the garage. long story short, as long as my neighbor's tree stands hovering ready to spit another branch out, the TL will reside in the garage.

it's really up to you and how anal you want to be about keeping the car clean. i personally can't stand it when the car is dirty.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for your input

Much appreciated

Br
/Felix
Old 06-07-2013, 04:53 PM
5th Gear

Thank you for your input

Br