Tires replaced...problems...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires replaced...problems...

Just had the stock tires that came with my 08 TL (base model, no sport). Used the Hancooks.

It will pull left, even if in the right lane. It also gives off excessive vibration at 80+mph. At speeds below 50 or so, I won't really feel it pull or shake too much, however, I do have an "extra issue" I'll mention later.

I went back to the tire place not-to-be-named yet, where they have now done three alignments, replaced w/ reblancing all those tires, yet still it will pull left and give off extra shake.

What could be the issue here? And also, here's the "extra issue" - my car now has excess vibration even at idle. Why would a tire replacement cause idle vibration? Could it be something to do with the way they do their alignments? Could the 200 miles/day with that vibration/shake caused something else mechanically to go wrong so that it happens at idle?

Thanks for any input!
Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

One other thing - I did have one flat spot on my right, rear OEM rim. I got it fixed and the vibration didn't really go away. They checked the other rims and looked fine.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:14 PM
keep it clean

Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
I assume you didn't have this issue before you bought the new set of tires. If that is the case, I suggest doing what I did, and take your car to another shop and have them rebalance all four wheels/tires. This should address the issue of vibration/shaking. Alignment is the ususal suspect for a car pulling right or left, so check with another shop too. It's the only way to test the quality of the service you are getting, and if their machines are calibrated correctly.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Where Did My Garage Go?!!

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Find a shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer....google it to find locations. Those machines will balance your tires the best.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lucnex
Find a shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer....google it to find locations. Those machines will balance your tires the best.
I was talking to a friend about that exact same thing last night and will try and find a place that can do it. I'll also try and get the other place to pay for it too. I'll be sure to repost when I get it done. Thanks!

Any ideas on how or why the vibration is more pronounced when idle? Does it perhaps have anything to do with the way the car was lifted that might have done something to the engine mounts?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM

your idle vibrations are not related to your tires whatsover...thats another problem...could be engine mounts. You sure you notice a difference? The TL tends to have more vibrations when the A/C is on too....

Also have the shop with the Hunter check for bent rims...that could be another issue..
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 06-30-2011, 12:35 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the same issue, tried everything. got new rims, everything cleared up, no vibrations above 60+ and stopped pulling to the left. one of my rims are bent. not to sure which one but i have to figure it out for winter so.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

You sure you notice a difference?
I absolutely notice it! If I could only show proof of the monster headache I have after driving 100 miles each way.

I went to the Acura dealer that had the Hunter road-forced balancer ($100 for all 4) and still no luck. The car continues to have this extra, albeit, subtle shake to it. It also continues to pull left, even if in the right lane.

Once I got home I called the Acura dealer and told them no luck. They said to bring it back in for an alignment. I've had three done already, so I don't see how it's going to fix anything. I know some machines need to be recalibrated, but...plus, that would only fix the pull issue, not the extra vibration/shake.

When the car is idle, but in-gear (automatic), I can feel the shake. This was definitely, positively not there before. When I put it in neutral, the shake is gone. However...when I'm on the road, around 80mph is when I feel it the most, but if I throw it into neutral around that speed, the shake is still present.

I cannot tell if it's because of the tires/rims, or because of something that may have happened when this car was lifted. I think it's something else. I could try and see if I can either the tire place or Acura to swap out all the tires/rims and see if that does anything. If not, then it would clearly be that "something else." I will ask to check the engine mounts, but if anyone else has some kind of idea, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lynnjerjor
Just had the stock tires that came with my 08 TL (base model, no sport). Used the Hancooks.

It will pull left, even if in the right lane. It also gives off excessive vibration at 80+mph. At speeds below 50 or so, I won't really feel it pull or shake too much, however, I do have an "extra issue" I'll mention later.

I went back to the tire place not-to-be-named yet, where they have now done three alignments, replaced w/ reblancing all those tires, yet still it will pull left and give off extra shake.

What could be the issue here? And also, here's the "extra issue" - my car now has excess vibration even at idle. Why would a tire replacement cause idle vibration? Could it be something to do with the way they do their alignments? Could the 200 miles/day with that vibration/shake caused something else mechanically to go wrong so that it happens at idle?

Thanks for any input!

You can see if you can get these tires swapped out for another brand or something or something with better quality. In the past like 10 to 15 years experienced with tires I always came down with better luck on Bridgestone and Michelin. Reason being is that these tires I hardly have any issues with them. I know they are expensive but in the end it had saved alot of headaches. Not saying that off brand tires are bad or anything..
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, that's another thing too - I know the Michelin and Bridgestones are better, but was in a bit of a penny-pinch at the time, and opted for the Hancooks. Although the $$ might be more, if it saves me this kind of headache, it's worth it. That's one thing I'll bring up with them.

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Racer

Yeah, that's another thing too - I know the Michelin and Bridgestones are better, but was in a bit of a penny-pinch at the time, and opted for the Hancooks. Although the $$ might be more, if it saves me this kind of headache, it's worth it. That's one thing I'll bring up with them.

Thanks!

I actually just got these this past Sunday from Tiresplus. They were cheaper then tireracks price.. Coming from the Kumho's these tires are sooo much quieter and making turns feel's effortless. The Kumho's felt like I was dragging the tires during slow turn not to mention an annoying low speed howling sound.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....20Transmission

Last edited by mb1976; 06-30-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Have them put the wheel/tire on the balancer, then after balance, immediately turn the wheel 180 degrees, rebalance and there should be no weights required. If the machine indicates that weights are needed, either the balancer needs calibration or a problem with the wheel center. They make an adapter that is attached to the machine, then the wheel is bolted to the adapter through the lug holes so that the wheel is centered. I needed to use this on our wheels to eliminate the 65/80 vibration.

This won’t eliminate the pull, but after the vibration issue is corrected, have the tires rotated to see if the pull still exists.
The following users liked this post:
lynnjerjor (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 10:33 AM

Alright....

1) Hankooks are a FANTASTIC tire. Best tire I have had on my car. I went to these tires from the 225/each Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (essentially their "best" All season tire). The reviews of the VS4's which I have are amazing. I was initially wondering the same thing, but the guy at the tire store I went to (very knowledgable) said Michelin and Bridgestones were not even on the same level as these tires. He had to convince me not to put Michelins back on my car. There are something like 12 new car models that are coming with these Hankooks as OEM tires. Plus, they are just now entering the North American market as they have been primarily in Asia. They are running a 60 dollar rebate and come with a FREE Road Hazard Waranty through the first 25% of tread life wear. Michelins are overpriced and overrated. These are the quitest tires I have ever owned and the traction in the rain in phenominal...do your research before you blame it on a tire, I promise you I will never be going back to Bridgestones or Michelins.

2) Vibrations on the highway (high speeds) I would bet are your compliance bushings. Just about every TL owner has noticed cracks in their bushings (lower control arm). Have Acura check this out. Mine are town and I used to get terrible vibrations at high speeds, but the Hankooks have significantly reduced this and I am not ready to drop 400 dollars on new complaiance bushings yet (plus they tear again ever 20k, certainly a design error).

3) As for the pulling, not all Road Force Balances (RFB) have the Straightrack module or w.e its called. Basically it elminates pull during the tire balance. On the website there is a little icon next to the dealership that should have a Straightrack LFM picture, this may solve your problem. Also, have them give you a print out of the Alignment, if your car is pulling, usually your Toe is off.....

4) Heres the catch, if your compliance bushings are torn, you could get 100 alignments and it wont be accurate, the bushings will constantly flex and throw this off. You need to get them replaced first and then get an alignment to make sure all your specs stay how the machine reads them.

Try and get it goodwilled if you're out of warranty, depending on your mileage, these bushings should not be torn. Mine are torn and I am at 45K, rediciulous....
Old 06-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

Alright....

1) Hankooks are a FANTASTIC tire. Best tire I have had on my car. I went to these tires from the 225/each Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (essentially their "best" All season tire). The reviews of the VS4's which I have are amazing. I was initially wondering the same thing, but the guy at the tire store I went to (very knowledgable) said Michelin and Bridgestones were not even on the same level as these tires. He had to convince me not to put Michelins back on my car. There are something like 12 new car models that are coming with these Hankooks as OEM tires. Plus, they are just now entering the North American market as they have been primarily in Asia. They are running a 60 dollar rebate and come with a FREE Road Hazard Waranty through the first 25% of tread life wear. Michelins are overpriced and overrated. These are the quitest tires I have ever owned and the traction in the rain in phenominal...do your research before you blame it on a tire, I promise you I will never be going back to Bridgestones or Michelins.

2) Vibrations on the highway (high speeds) I would bet are your compliance bushings. Just about every TL owner has noticed cracks in their bushings (lower control arm). Have Acura check this out. Mine are town and I used to get terrible vibrations at high speeds, but the Hankooks have significantly reduced this and I am not ready to drop 400 dollars on new complaiance bushings yet (plus they tear again ever 20k, certainly a design error).

3) As for the pulling, not all Road Force Balances (RFB) have the Straightrack module or w.e its called. Basically it elminates pull during the tire balance. On the website there is a little icon next to the dealership that should have a Straightrack LFM picture, this may solve your problem. Also, have them give you a print out of the Alignment, if your car is pulling, usually your Toe is off.....

4) Heres the catch, if your compliance bushings are torn, you could get 100 alignments and it wont be accurate, the bushings will constantly flex and throw this off. You need to get them replaced first and then get an alignment to make sure all your specs stay how the machine reads them.

Try and get it goodwilled if you're out of warranty, depending on your mileage, these bushings should not be torn. Mine are torn and I am at 45K, rediciulous....
How would the compliance bushings be affected after what should have been a simple replacement of the tires, alignment, etc.? I've got about 80k miles on this thing, driving at least 200m per day and up until I got them replaced, the car drove straight as an arrow and drove smooth as a baby's bottom.

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Cruisin'

in addition to my above comment...
the RFB they use does have the straightrack module.

tx
Old 06-30-2011, 10:55 AM

The bushings are not related to your tires, but I am still saying they could be an issue....especially with the alignment.

I got my tires replaced, had them balanced 5 different times and places, had 4 alignments done in different places and then noticed my alignment is always off, which is why my car pulls to the right. Also I had a flat spot on one tire that caused crazy vibrations

Honstly the only way to really isolate the problem would be to 1) try all new different tires first, and then 2) try all new different wheels. See if the dealership can swap them out and go for a ride to see if thats the issue. Otherwise, start looking at other alternatives for the vibration, it really could just be a coincidence. Maybe your getting vibration from your Tranny? Maybe do an ATF 1x3 or 3x3...
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Cruisin'

SO I just spoke to the Acura dealer and he said they didn't actually roadforce balance the tires, because it's a directional tire. But, he's calling Hunter to verify and will call me back...stay tuned...

And uh, pardon my ignorance, but what ATF 1x3...?

Thanks again all!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:04 PM

I am almost certain directional tires can be road force balanced. In fact, my previous Michelins were road force balanced and were directional....

ATF is Automatic Transmission Fluid....the stuff Honda puts in the tranny is Z1 I think and is completeshit. A lot of people drain and refull their fluid to extend life of tranny and some reduced shutter and slipping. A 1x3 refers to draining 3qts of ATF and refilling with Redline.

Theres a giant thread on it but thats not a cause of your idling vibrations just another issue in general that has cause some driveline vibrations from members. Again, in no way related to your tires being replaced so I would most likely rule that one out....

Did Acura check your engine mounts when you brought the car in?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks. They didn't check the mounts, but they will as I'm heading there in a bit. He called me back a few minutes ago and said that the tires can be road-forced, but not laterally.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:51 PM
Suzuka Master

No problem using a RF machine with directional tires and cracked bushings are no reason for replacement unless one can verify they are collapsed. Our Yoko S.4's (directional)were balanced by 3 different shops, probably a total of 8 times, then went with the the RF with the wheel adapter, cut the vibration and it's been good for 3 years.

If it started after the tires were installed, got to be in the tire/wheel assembly.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Cruisin'

So they did the road forced balance and if I had to try and quantify how much it got better, I'd say maybe 10%. Acura dealer did an alignment and took it for a drive and they took it for a drive. They are also able to tell it still pulls left. They said it has to be a tire issue and were more than eager to have a foreman take a closer, more in-depth look, said they would come pick the car up so as not to inconvenience me. Great service thus far, and they aren't the cause of the issue either.

This is after the tire place completely replaced the Hancooks. Yes, this is the second set within the past few weeks. So, two installs and two issues with Hancooks? Either the Acura dealer is going to try and straighten this out, or the tire place is gonna put on something different. I gotta talk to both of them today and figure this out. I'll repost later. I doubt much will get done over the 4th of July weekend, so everyone have a safe and happy one, and thanks for your input!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Cruisin'

Acura dealer did an alignment and took it for a drive and they took it for a drive.
Oops...great english, eh?
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
So they did the road forced balance and if I had to try and quantify how much it got better, I'd say maybe 10%. Acura dealer did an alignment and took it for a drive and they took it for a drive. They are also able to tell it still pulls left. They said it has to be a tire issue and were more than eager to have a foreman take a closer, more in-depth look, said they would come pick the car up so as not to inconvenience me. Great service thus far, and they aren't the cause of the issue either.

This is after the tire place completely replaced the Hancooks. Yes, this is the second set within the past few weeks. So, two installs and two issues with Hancooks? Either the Acura dealer is going to try and straighten this out, or the tire place is gonna put on something different. I gotta talk to both of them today and figure this out. I'll repost later. I doubt much will get done over the 4th of July weekend, so everyone have a safe and happy one, and thanks for your input!
see if they cant just slap new rims on there. seems as you haven't tried that. like i said i tried everything with my car, and i just lived with it. intill recently i got new rims and it went away... so see if they cant test it with new rims.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Racer

If you did not have this problem before getting new tires on there then most likely it has to be the tires. I used to run into these issues years back. That is why I am not going with off branded tires anymore. Pay extra and just buy the well known premium tires that has near excellent reviews...
Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by mb1976
If you did not have this problem before getting new tires on there then most likely it has to be the tires. I used to run into these issues years back. That is why I am not going with off branded tires anymore. Pay extra and just buy the well known premium tires that has near excellent reviews...
i agree. if you had the RFB performed, the hunter machine will tell you if you have a bad tire or not compared to the others. it should also help arrange the tires on the car so minimize lateral pull effects of the tire. performance tires seem to be a bit tricky to balance. i had issues similar to this after i installed new tires last fall. paid more money to have tires RFB which helped reduce the pull and subtle vibration, but really revealed that my axles had gone bad too. had axles replaced, then still had a subtle vibration at hwy speeds. dropped in aspec suspension, got new alignment, vibration is still there but ever so slight. i have 5 mm spacers for my wheels to clear the brembos which could have been the prob. swapped the spacers for custom hub and wheel centric spacers...no more vibration. however in your case it almost seems like its a bad tire.

are you on a stock wheel set up?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Although this is obviously related to the tire setup, calling Hankooks an off branded tire is a little absurd. I have less vibrations with my Hankooks now then with two sets of Michelins before these. I have vibrations at highway speeds but I don't those are related to my compliance bushings. Either way an idle vibration should in no way be related to a tire or wheel set up. Can't get vibrations from wheels when they are stationary

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Last edited by lucnex; 07-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Cruisin'

So after a series of rfb's, alignments and test drives by the Acura dealer, still no real luck on this. The car still pulls left when over 50mph and I'll still get some good vibration/shake as well. Yes, stock rims still. All of which have been checked, with one being fixed. The Acura folks said they thought they fixed it, but honestly, get on the highway, get in the right lane and get up to 50+, and it's pretty much clear as day that it pulls left.

The Acura dealer has been VERY helpful and accomodating, I will say that. They haven't charged me a penny (other than the first rfb), and worked with Town Fair Tire to try and get to the bottom of this.

Hankooks appear to have become more popular, just as mentioned above, but the dealer recommends using the staple of Michelin/Good Year.

So, I'm at a loss at this point. Up until I took it to Town Fair Tire, the thing ran straight as an arrow and ran smooth as silk. Hankooks put on and I now have this extra vibration, even at idle, along with the pull to the left (even in the right lanes). One would think that after as many alignments, rfb's, and work by Acura, that these Hankooks couldn't really be the cause for both issues???

To touch on the issue of the vibration - I'm an idiot when it comes to mechanics, so do you all notice any extra/less vibration when the car is idle, in-gear as compared to when you put it in neutral?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:26 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
[quote=lynnjerjor;13046599]Just had the stock tires that came with my 08 TL (base model, no sport). Used the Hancooks...quote]

You could simply have a 'bad' tire. Does the place your taking it to have the ability (i.e. machine) to do a 'road force' analysis? Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but this machine has the capability of simulating...well, the force of the road on a rolling tire. It doesn't simply balance the tire, it will determine the proper orientation between the wheel and tire (matches up heavy & low spots)...ever seen those little stickers on new vehicle wheel & tire assemblies where the sticker on the tire is aligned with the sticker on the wheel...this is what they're doing. Once that is accomplished, then the actual balancing (with lead weights) is conducted. However, if this machine determines there is accessive 'road foce' within the tire then the tire is deemed 'bad' and the manufacturer should then replace it. You can try and balance a bad tire all you want, and do alignments and whatever else you want, but if you have a bad tire...you have a bad tire. I used to work in the industry and IMO Hankook is a severe downgrade from the OEM equipment. Again, just my opinion. TL's are notorious for being sensitive to aftermarket tires. With that said, I'm rolling 20s on some rubber bands and my car rides great--go figure. Anyway, hope this helps out a bit.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:32 PM

My car feels like its floating on the highway and I experience 0 vibrations.......only problem I had was fixed when I changed my LCA Bushings. I am lowered on TEINs....with 18 inch aftermarket wheels and Hankooks....
Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

My car feels like its floating on the highway and I experience 0 vibrations.......only problem I had was fixed when I changed my LCA Bushings. I am lowered on TEINs....with 18 inch aftermarket wheels and Hankooks....
No disrespect intended toward your tires lucnex; I'm glad to hear you dig 'em. I haven't had much experience dealing the higher performance side of Hankooks product line so I'm not saying they don't make a good tire, I just don't think they are up to par with some other brands out there (e.g. Michelin, Pirelli, etc...). I personally have Continental DWS 245/30/20 and love 'em, but I've head people bash them as well. It's all what your experience is with them.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM

non taken....I used to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus before this and they were one of the worst sets of tires I have ever owned IMO....im done with Michelin....most likely get the continental DWS next actually!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:09 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

non taken....I used to have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus before this and they were one of the worst sets of tires I have ever owned IMO....im done with Michelin....most likely get the continental DWS next actually!
I'm not a huge fan of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus myself. As for the Continental DWS, I think they kick ass. For my tire size (245/30/20) they actually offer a mileage warranty on them which is pretty nice. I've been through my fair share of tires--especially on my 20's--and the DWS are by far the best so far. When I went to order them they were on nat'l backorder so that gives you an indication of their popularity. I'll think you'll be pleased with them if/when you decide to go that route
Old 07-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Cruisin'

What issue did the bushings cause? Vibration? Also, how could that all of a sudden be an issue with me simply after them replacing the tires? Did they lift/drop the car too fast off the lift that would do this?
Old 07-27-2011, 07:58 AM

I had like a "shimmy" in my steering wheel....basically over 70 it would shake back and forth, not by much but maybe like a quarter of an inch....it was like I was getting a hand massage while driving. I had my tires balanced like 6 time because everywhere I went assured me it had to be the tires....once I checked the compliance bushing thread I looked and sure enough they were slightly torn. I actually only had one torn maybe a half inch and the other was just starting to do. My passenger side one also caused my steering wheel to shake when i was turning right and accelerating....at first I thought it was gonna be my inner CV joints or intermediate shaft but the bushings fixed everything....

Although unlikely, if they dropped your car super quick it may have put your bushings on their last leg...I ran over a big piece of metal on the highway (a trucks drivetrain) and started having these issues INSTANTLY after. I hit it going 80 and split my wheel in two so obviously the suspension was torqued in a way it should never be. Not saying your case in the same since mine is sort of extreme but you should check them out anyway...
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Cruisin'

I will certainly check them out. Although the "shimmy" you experienced isn't like the extra vibration/shake I'm feeling. I can feel mine mostly in the seat, not the steering wheel as much, although slightly.

Thanks.