Was timing belt and water pump maintenance even performed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 01:56 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was timing belt and water pump maintenance even performed??

I just had my car in service for a timing belt and water pump at the dealership. Before the service I looked inside my engine bay to make sure that after the service some of the parts will look newer. After the service I looked at my belt and noticed that it was the same belt. They said they replaced all the belts. But now I am skeptical if they even performed the service. Is there anyway I can check if they actually did the service? Thank you.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
You really can't ask them for your old parts as they probably have many to give to you as they do the job constantly. You certainly should be able to tell if the serpentine belt was changed and to check the timing belt, the upper cover needs to be removed. Some OE belts have the year printed on the timing belt, but not certain if they all do. Also check to be certain that the sepentine belt is a Honda/Acura belt then explore the timing belt.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:05 PM
RIP RBP

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
you can't see the timing belt or the H20 pump, buy just opening the hood.
look at your invoice for the parts you were billed, do you see the serpentine belt.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea, I would check the invoice to see what you were billed for, then check the parts on the car to make sure they were replaced. I would take the timing belt cover(s) off to make sure the belt and water pump were replaced (they should look new). Better safe than sorry.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Negative1
yea, I would check the invoice to see what you were billed for, then check the parts on the car to make sure they were replaced. I would take the timing belt cover(s) off to make sure the belt and water pump were replaced (they should look new). Better safe than sorry.
Where are the cover located and is it difficult to take them off?
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM
N00b Extraordinaire

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing belt cover

Originally Posted by Sondinh
Where are the cover located and is it difficult to take them off?
The timing belt cover is located on the passenger side of the engine; it consists of three parts (excluding gaskets), an upper part for each row of cylinders, and a bottom part for the block. halve. You only need to remove one of the upper covers to determine if the timing belt has been changed. The easiest is the forward of the two, but even it can be a pain in the ass to remove; I had to remove my drive belt tensioner to get it off while replacing my timing belt.

Not to be insulting, but if you have to ask where the timing belt cover is, you should get a manual and follow the instructions to take it off. Another good option is www.alldatadiy.com. AllData is a source many non-dealer mechanics use to get info on cars with which they are unfamiliar. It provides step-by-step instructions on performing most repair and maint. tasks. For the 3rd gen TL it has diagrams straight out of the Acura manual. If I weren't a new member I'd post a diagram for you. Remember, Google is your friend.

Good luck.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
The front cam gear cover is in the front cam bank on the passenger side by the serpentine belt. There are 6, or so, 10mm bolts that hold it on. I cannot remember if you have to take the accessory belt off to get it off, or not. You can see the timing belt once you take it off.