Time to change transmission fluid?

Old 12-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time to change transmission fluid?

Hello everyone I have an 06 TL AT (bought it new in april 06) with 80k miles on it. the MID hasn't shown A3 or B3 for transmision fluid change yet but i'm reading few posts here and looks like it might be due for fluid change even though the MID hasn't say so. the car has mostly highway mileage. i'm not experiencing any transmission problems but i want to avoid it from happening. anyone with higher mileage than mine that hasn't had the fluid changed yet? What about timingbelt/water pump? i don't drive my car hard. only on the freeway when i need to pass up slow drivers...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
For ATF do the 3x3 drain and refill. Change it initially at 60k then every 30k following. Not a big deal if you're at 80k it will be your choice. Some people have been changing the 3rd and 4th gear sensors as well (looks like they are planning on 50-60k intervals on those as preventative maintenance). There is also a filter for the trans located under the air box you may want to change (again every 60k or so).

I changed my trans fluid at 60k and did the coolant as well. Timing belt and water pump and plugs are due at 105k.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Instructor

thanks. how much does dealership charge for this? i'm not handy with maintenance lol
Old 12-17-2009, 01:29 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by daoism76
thanks. how much does dealership charge for this? i'm not handy with maintenance lol
t/b w/p are cheaper at a Honda dealer by a few hundred dollars. I believe it should run you between $600-800 parts and labor at Honda. That's depending on the labor rate and any discount they may send your way.

3x3 drain I have no idea. It's actually very easy to do and there are several DIYs regarding it. If you are uncomfortable doing it yourself there may be an Aziner in your area willing to help??
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
There's a chance that the prior owner might have done it. A3 came up on my 06 TL at about 70000 miles ( I had it since it was new). If it hasn't come up it's probably because of the way the cars been driven (you said all hwy) If you read the manuel, it's not neccesary to change it until the MM tells you unless you drive in the mountains or tow things where the stress causes high fluid tempertures to occur. If you don't drive in those conditions I really think your wasting your money. I drained and filled my fluid 4X to get all the fluid exchanged. It's definitely worth it.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Racer

i just got a quote of $260 to drain/flush the transmission from the dealer, I assume the flush isn't necessary?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
There's a chance that the prior owner might have done it. A3 came up on my 06 TL at about 70000 miles ( I had it since it was new). If it hasn't come up it's probably because of the way the cars been driven (you said all hwy) If you read the manuel, it's not neccesary to change it until the MM tells you unless you drive in the mountains or tow things where the stress causes high fluid tempertures to occur. If you don't drive in those conditions I really think your wasting your money. I drained and filled my fluid 4X to get all the fluid exchanged. It's definitely worth it.
Given Honda's history regarding their 5speed autos I wouldn't keep the fluid in more than 60k. A lot of people on this board have changed their ATF far sooner as well.

Did you replace those sensors and the filter?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:18 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by ibeplato
i just got a quote of $260 to drain/flush the transmission from the dealer, I assume the flush isn't necessary?
The word "flush" can be misinterpreted. Make sure a machine isn't involved Honda strongly recommends they are NOT used on their vehicles.

If they are draining it and refilling the transmission 3 times that is the correct method approved by Honda.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
The word "flush" can be misinterpreted. Make sure a machine isn't involved Honda strongly recommends they are NOT used on their vehicles.

If they are draining it and refilling the transmission 3 times that is the correct method approved by Honda.
is that the same for the auto? Thanks!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Cruisin'

is that the same for the auto? Thanks!
That is the procedure for the AT
Old 12-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Racer

is there an icon for one to use when smacking themselves in the head. Doh!

Have you guys found that independent garages know this? I got a quote for $200 from a local goodyear service center that I've used for most stuff, but now I'm wondering if I should just pay the extra $90 and go to the dealer to avoid getting that "what the hell are you talking about look" when I ask them about 3x3.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
is there an icon for one to use when smacking themselves in the head. Doh!
Old 12-19-2009, 01:08 AM
10th Gear

i also got a quote of 260 from pohanka acura in chantilly va. i asked him about 3X3 and he told me that they now have a way of flusing the tranny oil which is less abrasive and they do not do the 3X3 anymore. He said that this is just approved by acura. He was talking about how the torque converter has old fluid in it that needs to be gotten out.

my 04 TL is at 57 k . i didn't know about the sensors? is that for a particular model year or all 3rd gen TL's . i'm assuming they change that filter automatically? or do u have to ask them to change the filter and costs extra?
Old 12-19-2009, 01:57 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

I am not aware of a new method that was approved by Honda. True, a lot of fluid is in the torque converter which is why the 3x3 is recommended to retrieve most of the fluid.

The sensors themselves is for all 3gs, but '04-06 are different transmissions from the '07-08. Regarding the filter, no they will not change it automatically unless you specify it. The filter is a cartridge design that is located under the air box on the '04-'06 autos.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Racer

Given Honda's history regarding their 5speed autos I wouldn't keep the fluid in more than 60k. A lot of people on this board have changed their ATF far sooner as well.

Did you replace those sensors and the filter?

I was pretty sure there wasn't a filter on my 06 TL. The tranny on the 04+ Tl I was told has not been giving much troubles like the previous one. It's fine to change the fluid sooner than the MM tells you. I just think that unless your driving under the conditions I mentioned above, why not save the money? The MM calculates all conditions such as temperture, driving habits, etc and takes the guesswork out of when to change it. I've had my engine oil anaylized and the MM is accurate.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:49 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Change your ATF every 30k. 3x3 drain & fill.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Originally Posted by lowgrowl
I was pretty sure there wasn't a filter on my 06 TL. The tranny on the 04+ Tl I was told has not been giving much troubles like the previous one. It's fine to change the fluid sooner than the MM tells you. I just think that unless your driving under the conditions I mentioned above, why not save the money? The MM calculates all conditions such as temperture, driving habits, etc and takes the guesswork out of when to change it. I've had my engine oil anaylized and the MM is accurate.
There is a filter it's located underneath the air box. Looks like a canister compartment. It's a little known item for some reason as it isn't even listed as having a maintenance interval.

While the 3g transmissions truly are an upgrade over the previous and transmission failures are few and far between when compared to the past gen. It seems to still happen as there is still a basic design that was shared.

When it comes to transmission fluid and coolant I personally would go by the "severe" service recommendations. Some follow the MM and others change their fluids even more religiously than myself. To each their own. I do follow the MM for oil changes as I feel a modern synthetic motor oil can go 5k+ with a quality filter.

For me to spend $60 on synthetic ATF once every couple of years isn't going to break my wallet and it's a cost I justify.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by fawad83
i also got a quote of 260 from pohanka acura in chantilly va. i asked him about 3X3 and he told me that they now have a way of flusing the tranny oil which is less abrasive and they do not do the 3X3 anymore. He said that this is just approved by acura. He was talking about how the torque converter has old fluid in it that needs to be gotten out.

my 04 TL is at 57 k . i didn't know about the sensors? is that for a particular model year or all 3rd gen TL's . i'm assuming they change that filter automatically? or do u have to ask them to change the filter and costs extra?
I went to a local garage and asked about the 3x3 method, he checked everything he could find, and even called an Acura dealer who told him that they did the machine flush. I trust the guy, so I know he did what he said he did. Anyway, I am going ahead and doing the normal BG flush ($198 versus $260 from Acura)
Old 12-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
I am going ahead and doing the normal BG flush
American Honda strongly recommends you avoid using aftermarket trans flush systems (click here)

Flush Systems: A Big Taboo (see page 3 of 4) (click here)
The following users liked this post:
serbj (04-12-2012)
Old 12-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Racer

thanks, yeah I saw those on other posts, but again the dilemma is that the dealer is saying they use a machine flush system (Pohanka Acura).

Unfortunately I don't have a place of my own to do the 3x3.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
hates potatoville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fawad83

I hope you didn't go to them yet. Go to the regional posts here. They got a lot of bad rep from members about their service.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Racer

I wouldn't take a chance on the machine. If honda says not to DON'T DO IT. If you transmission fails the dealership is going to bust your b****
Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Racer

so.....while driving today at around 60 MPH the car violently jerks, the "D" on the dashboard starts blinking, and the VSA and check engine lights come on. I get off at the next exit and head for the garage that did the transmission flush (fortunately I was close by). Downshifts were violent along the way.

At least I have it in writing from the garage that Acura approved their transmission flush method, now it's a matter of waiting to see what the garage tells me tomorrow (and what error code they find).
Old 01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow! guess Honda wasn't joking about machine flushing the tranny...
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NedShneebly
wow! guess Honda wasn't joking about machine flushing the tranny...
To be fair, there are a lot of potential reasons for the warning, as you can imagine I've scoured the threads here and found potential causes as being anything from debris to a solenoid failure to a complete transmission failure. As I haven't had any previous problems I'm cautiously optimistic. :-)

Of course, tomorrow could be
Old 01-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Racer

There is a acura dealer near me that uses the flush machine and says they have had no problems so far. Even though if something went wrong you can fight it and probably win, but who needs the hassle? Like I said I had the fluid drained and filled 4X at 70K miles (when #3 came on). I will do the same thing again at 140K or whenever it tells me to. The only thing that bothers me is the wasting of alot of good fluid. But because on my prior accord I replaced two trannys. I have this nervousness about honda's transmissions. Better to be safe than sorry.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:36 AM
practicing nihilist

having very little experience with auto tranny's and the not so beautiful past of prior gen TL's, I decided to do the preemptive Amsoil/filter flush at about 30K. You either take care of them early and often, or don't do anything and pray.

since this is more than likely related to the recent flush and you asked plenty of questions to not your concern over their method, make them flush it again. you may have just stirred up some debris that is causing the problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:27 PM
Racer

the error code indicated a faulty turbine input speed sensor. The garage reset the computer, and it again generated the same code. I had them go ahead and replace it and so far everything seems OK. I guess it could be coincidence, or perhaps some debris kicked up in the flush damaged the sensor?

Would changing the sensor involve cleaning the screen?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
10th Gear

I haven't gotten my service done yet as the MM didn't show the 'A/B 3' indicator yet.
Really torn between what Pohanka acura is telling me and doing what you all recommend (3*3 flush). If I trusted a shop to do it right, i'd have them do a 3*3 flush.
I've had good service from Pohanks acura in chantilly, va so far. They are a bit more expensive...especially with the routine stuff...but they did a great job on my brakes twice and did a lot of warranty work for me without making a fuss about it back when the car was under warranty. They usually don't push too many unnessecary recommendations on me.

Anyone know of a good shop in northern va to do the 3*3 flush? Thanks.

Last edited by fawad83; 01-04-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Racer

after my experience I'd recommend the 3x3, maybe try Curry's?
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
if you are going to "flush" the trans the best way is to open the cooler line and have the intake suck new fluid from a tank in and the outlet push the old fluid into a bucket. that way the transmission's pump is doing all the work and you get as close to 100% fluid change as you can get. should take about 10 mins or so to exchange the fluid
Old 01-04-2010, 01:06 PM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Having had a trans go out at 95k on a 2nd gen, I just took my 08 TL-S for some minor service items & trans fluid drain/refill. Dealer said it didn't need it till 60k or that a service light would go on but MANY recommend doing it every 30k and with all the stop and go driving I do, I was feeling like I was behind being at 38k.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Racer

the blinking "D" vsa/check engine light returned today, about 10 miles after replacing the sensor. I have it back in the shop, I'm assuming they will flush it again on the idea that some crud kicked up by the first flush is clogging sensors/screens.

Sigh........
Old 01-06-2010, 09:57 AM
WOT in the new ATLP V2s!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been reading the FLUSH is not good...where the car & trans are hooked up to a machine with detergents to clean out the trans. I've been reading more of a drain & refill (like an oil change) is better every 30k. I'm in the TL-S for the long haul so I'm trying to keep up with all that.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:51 PM
practicing nihilist

the blinking "D" vsa/check engine light returned today, about 10 miles after replacing the sensor. I have it back in the shop, I'm assuming they will flush it again on the idea that some crud kicked up by the first flush is clogging sensors/screens.

Sigh........
Show them what it says about flashing "D" in your owner's manual and pull the TSB that states Honda's stance on Flushing systems. Then I would probably get it diagnosed by a reputable dealer. 9/10 times Honda/Acura is going to recommend "replace transmission" when the "D" starts flashing. I have a Pilot in the shop: flashing "D", new tranny.

Only downside is if you need a new tranny and can actually get the shop to pay for it, they will probably buy a cheap after market unit (crappy warranty vs. Acura rebuilt) and they will probably not be too happy or careful when doing the work they will be eating the bill on.

i guess i'm pretty negative after getting a $4300 bill for a Honda transmission with 112K miles on it...
Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Racer

it turns out they replaced the output sensor when the code showed a failure of the input sensor. They replaced the input sensor at no cost, so far after about 50 miles everything seems to be OK.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Spazzz

So, just a quick Q...... I have had my 2005 TL since 48,000 miles and currently have 75,000 miles. I have never seen the "MM or #3" come on. Could I have missed it? I always wait till the message tells me to change my oil, then do it that week. I have the Z-1 ordered through ebay $50 shipped for 9 Qrts. Should I wait? How do I know if the previous owners already did it?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by AJHardee
So, just a quick Q...... I have had my 2005 TL since 48,000 miles and currently have 75,000 miles. I have never seen the "MM or #3" come on. Could I have missed it? I always wait till the message tells me to change my oil, then do it that week. I have the Z-1 ordered through ebay $50 shipped for 9 Qrts. Should I wait? How do I know if the previous owners already did it?

#3 Came on at 72K miles on my car.I had the same concern that you did. But the dealership assured me the code will come on eventually. You may want to ask if you can see the service history. Hopefully, he took it to a acura dealership service dept so you can. There's a chance it might have come on earlier as it varies with different drivers. Call the dealer and maybe there's a way they can find out if it did come on. If you can't find out if it was done and it bothers you, I would go ahead and do it. Then just wait till the code comes up again.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:21 AM
Spazzz

Originally Posted by AJHardee
UPDATE:

Once my oil got down to 20% on the service reminder, I got the "3" message. So FYI my car had 77,000 miles before my first tranny fluid change message.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Racer

I am not aware of a new method that was approved by Honda. True, a lot of fluid is in the torque converter which is why the 3x3 is recommended to retrieve most of the fluid.

The sensors themselves is for all 3gs, but '04-06 are different transmissions from the '07-08. Regarding the filter, no they will not change it automatically unless you specify it. The filter is a cartridge design that is located under the air box on the '04-'06 autos.
Can you elaborate more on sensors for the 06 TL. I am going to do the 3 x 3 ATF change and was wondering if the sensors are an easy change as well for a DIY?

Thanks in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Time to change transmission fluid?