Super Headunit Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Super Headunit Woes

Im steaming mad about my current headunit situation and I honestly dont know where to go from here. So ill just put my entire situation for whoever cares to read.

A few months ago, my original headunit CD player failed. The radio worked fine as long as I didnt press the CD button. Once I did, the car would try to play a CD, would fail, and the I would hear a loud "pop" and all audio was gone until the car restarted.

So I figured I could just buy another headunit and swap it. Well, the first one I bought from a member arrived in pieces. It was packed in 6 plastic bags and the mounting tabs were shattered into a ton of fragments. There was also an audiable noise from the inside when the unit was titled side to side. the headunit was garbage to me.

After that failure, I decided to deal locally. I couldent seem to find an 04 TL that was being parted out. I found plenty of other years, but no 04's. I decided to try experimenting in swapping the CD drivers from the headunit I had bought into the one in my car. You can find the thread through my profile, but the end story was still failure.

After a few months of waiting, I finally found an 04 decently close enough. It was a 4 hour drive one way, but I decided to make it a trip to visit family. the seller seemed very sincere about the unit working. He owned a TL as well and seemed really nice. I installed the unit in my car back home (4 hours away), and the CD player had some sort of life. When I pressed eject, it would simply read error (err). The disc button and load button did nothing. there was no status light on the CD player. I decided to reset the car by unplugging the battery. After waiting an hour and reconnecting the battery, The CD player had a bit more light. The Cd player light worked, but now when I pressed the CD player button it would try, then give up. Eventually, I would get the dreaded "pop" and I would have to restart the car.

I figured, well, I guess I can just live with FM radio for now. that was until my drive home today. The headunit is completely shutting off once the car is running for a few seconds. The unit works fine if the engine is not running. it continues to play the radio, but once i turn on the car, it lasts maybe 5 seconds then shuts off. I was thinking that it might be an issue with the amp, but since it works with the engine off, im not sure that it is.

So now I have 3 broken headunits, im out of quite a bit of money, and im left with no direction. I really dont know where to go. Could the issue actually not be the headunit but actually something else? Im hoping the seller wouldn't have sold me a broken headunit, but it seemed flawed from the moment I installed it, but the fact that the problem has evolved has me concerned.

Im exhausted. This headunit has me beat. Ive wasted hours searching, removing, installing, traveling, to no avail. Im desperate for suggestions.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
I have heard that Martin (not sure if name is correct), the guy who does the harness for the navi swap (upgrade), has fixed another local Tampa members CD player. I know that Martin used to be located in New Jersey, and is now in Florida(East Coast). Maybe try to find out if he could be of help? Sorry I don't have a link, or username for Martin. Hopefully someone else will be of help in getting his # for you?