Stumped by intermittent stalling...help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 10:42 PM
ECT
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Stumped by intermittent stalling...help please

Ok, so I have a 2004 Acura TL (auto) with ~110k miles. The car has been great. Out of nowhere, it recently started doing a thing where if you quickly come to a complete stop, it may stall out or at least stumble for a second, fight to get the rpm back up and then catch itself and idle. I cleaned the throttle body, cleaned the EGR, installed new coil packs (they were the originals and looked haggard), and new spark plugs. It still does it.

So, if you are deliberately progressive and smooth in stopping, it doesn't do it. If you come up fairly quick to a stop sign or something, it almost stalls out. Or if you do a 3 point turn or something that requires a switch from "drive" to "reverse" and then back to drive, it may stall out from the stop and go and changing of gears. It has no CEL turned on. I wish it would kick a check engine light so I had some indicator.

Do I just need to idle it up, or is there a common issue that causes intermittent stalling yet won't even turn on a CEL? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:47 PM
ECT
Intermediate

I've read that sometimes a low idle and stalling can come with they need the valves adjusted. I doubt that's ever been done. Has anyone had that cure similar problems or is there anything less serious I should try before having that done?
Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM
ECT
Intermediate

One more update, can repeat it every time doing this:
car at operating temperature, go from park to drive while staying on the brake pedal and it will pull the rpm down reaaaal low and usually recover but almost stalls. It will do the same going from park to reverse or drive to reverse and staying on the brake pedal so the car can't move yet.

Surely someone has run into this--still no check engine light. I kind of thought maybe it could be related to the APP sensor but others who changed that seemed to not quite have these symptoms.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by ECT
One more update, can repeat it every time doing this:
car at operating temperature, go from park to drive while staying on the brake pedal and it will pull the rpm down reaaaal low and usually recover but almost stalls. It will do the same going from park to reverse or drive to reverse and staying on the brake pedal so the car can't move yet.

Surely someone has run into this--still no check engine light. I kind of thought maybe it could be related to the APP sensor but others who changed that seemed to not quite have these symptoms.
Try an idle relearn. Unplug the battery, and leave it for an hour. Come back, plug the battery on. Turn the car on with all lights and accessories off and let the car idle for about 15 minutes in Park. Make sure the car is up to operating temperature and the radiator fan has at least cycled twice.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
Are you still running the Supercharger? I have no idea if that has anything to do with your problem, just saw that (in your other thread). Figured worth letting others who know more, in case it helps.?

I wouldn't even drive that if I had that Lambo! Ok, maybe when it's raining! Lol!