Stop Sign Ticket CAD$287--what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Gotta..

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stop Sign Ticket CAD$287--what can I do?

The story happened in Edmonton, AB, Canada...

A week ago I drove to University of Alberta to pick up my gf and take my little doggy to doctor cuz appointment was late and he got some ear infection, he was dying a lot.

There is a stop sign after exiting the parking lot, when I turned right, I noticed that some taxi-like car was hiding on the trail of left side. I suddenly realized that is a police car, so I slow down my speed, but something happened...

He pulled me when I turn to right, and say I failed to obey stop sign rule,
I was sure that I stopped, but not for 3 sec...
then he gave me a nicely CAD$287 stop sign ticket for my present of the month,
I was so mad...

I checked online later that day, it is surely fined 287 dollars if I dont obey stop sign rule...however, there is no car around, and I am rush to take my dog to see doctor, Am I able to reduce the fine?
Old 06-29-2007, 09:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
So you were on the public roadway when you slow and go at the stop sign?

Or was the sign on private property and not an official road sign?

Go to court and plead you case if you want- may get a reduction or cleared
Old 06-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As some have said before;

If you do the crime, better be prepared to do the time!

As the police officier pointed out, a stop require that the vehicle be stopped for 3 seconds of more, slowing down is not acceptable.

You can try your luck in court with the judge.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Instructor

Damn $287 for not stopping all the way at a stop sign! Thats stupid. I had one of those with my last Tl and I went to court and they threw it out with no questions asked. They don't have time to deal with that type of bullshit unless they try to make an example out of you. My ticket was $150. I'm glad that it was thrown out. The only other thing that I would do other than going to court if they do not throw it out plead guilty. If you haven't had any other tickets within five years the judge can offer you a prayer for judgement. this means you go to a class for about all day but it doesn't go on your license or insurance. The only thing with this is you cannot get any more tickets within five year I think. If you do however your shit doubles on insurance. Good luck man.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:47 AM
Gotta..

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
So you were on the public roadway when you slow and go at the stop sign?

Or was the sign on private property and not an official road sign?

Go to court and plead you case if you want- may get a reduction or cleared
I surely slowed and stoped before stop sign but not for 3 seconds or more...it was a public roadway. I know I already guilt that not stoping for 3 seconds but it is too heavy for me...so I probably would go for plead
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 AM
Gotta..

Originally Posted by tcwhite
Damn $287 for not stopping all the way at a stop sign! Thats stupid. I had one of those with my last Tl and I went to court and they threw it out with no questions asked. They don't have time to deal with that type of bullshit unless they try to make an example out of you. My ticket was $150. I'm glad that it was thrown out. The only other thing that I would do other than going to court if they do not throw it out plead guilty. If you haven't had any other tickets within five years the judge can offer you a prayer for judgement. this means you go to a class for about all day but it doesn't go on your license or insurance. The only thing with this is you cannot get any more tickets within five year I think. If you do however your shit doubles on insurance. Good luck man.
THat would be fine for me...cuz I am going back to my home country in 1 year, which means I gotta sell my car next summer....thank for info!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:01 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by tcwhite

"Prayer for Judgment" is a North Carolina thing for sure. It goes by other names in other places.

But do they have this in the OP's Canadian jurisdiction?

Point is, what works for us, may be different or not work at all in the Great White North.