Steering wheel vibrations....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:15 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel vibrations....

At lower speeds, around 60 km/h, vibrations are not apparent. At speeds above 80 km/h, the vibration gets worse and worse. I've had wheels balanced and aligned and the problem is still there. Now, the only reason i could think of is a bent rim. I deid have one of my rim straightened after it was bent on a higway blowout. I drove the car after the rim was fixed, it was fine. I haven't driven the car fopr about 6 months coz it's my mom'm daily driver. Does this mean the rim is bent again? Or is there something ewlse that could cause this? I want to know all the possible cause of this so i can eliminate them one by one and have it fixed? Thanks in advance for any input.

I am gonna go drive the car tomorow to see what's going on.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Could be lots of things .. she could have hit a curb and knocked the alignment out , you could have a tire separating ... could have thrown a wheel weight ...etc etc
Old 02-18-2007, 05:19 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be a bad tire, bent rim, or out of balance wheels, those are the first things to check, then if still vibrating could be badly warped rotors, or bad axles, etc. Your car being out of alignment wont make the car vibrate just pull or you will notice uneven tire wear!
Old 02-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best thing to do is, if your car is still under warrenty, take to the dealer and have one of the mechanics take a look at it.

Did you let the dealer know that you had a tire blow out? If you did, chances are that they wont fix it. If they dont know, and the only thing that messed up was the tire and the rim, and you fixed that with the same tire, then take it to the dealer. It could end up costing alot of money if you try fixing it yourself.

Also, why did the tire blow out? If you were just driving and the tire blew out, then you can take that back to the dealer because that is not your fault and is the fault of the tire manufacturer. Hope that helps
Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
It could be a lot of things. And its nearly impossible to diagnose the problem without taking a look at your car. Take it in to the dealer.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:32 AM
Instructor

The dealer doesn't know i had a blowout or a bent rim...it's only been 2 years since i got the vehicle...i guess i'll take it back to the dealer and have it inspected under warranty... I did have the wheels balanced and aligned only 2 months ago tho...thanks for the responses
Old 02-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sakuragi
The dealer doesn't know i had a blowout or a bent rim...it's only been 2 years since i got the vehicle...i guess i'll take it back to the dealer and have it inspected under warranty... I did have the wheels balanced and aligned only 2 months ago tho...thanks for the responses
Just to throw something out into the mix, could it be you have the wrong tires on the car?

When I had my CL Type-S, the first set of replacement tires - Continental Contacs from Tire Rack, actually carried a load rating that was too low for the car. As it sat in the garage, the tires would actually form flat spots. Over the course of my commute each day, they would get better, but they would never go back to perfectly round. There was always an annoying vibration.

When it was time for the second set of replacement tires, Tire Rack had quit recommending the Conti's. The new set, Bridgestones, were perfect.

Just a Wild Ass Guess here, but that was my experience.

Good Luck!

gurney
Old 02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
Instructor

i am using Falken Ziex-512 rite noe...235/45/17 i think they should be fine...r they?
Old 02-19-2007, 06:51 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's definitely a bent rim, I've experienced the same.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Instructor

i am planning to rotate the rims, front to back and back to front, to see if the vibration goes away, or at least let me know that the vibration is no longer coming from the front. Do you guys think this would work or at least let me know definitively if my rim is bent?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 AM
2000 TL

Rim

I've had the same problems on my SVT, and my Sallen.
Both turned out to be bent rims, that later caused bubbles to appear in the tire. At that point I had to get a new rim and tire.

Let me ask you this; did you notice your tire loosing air, or did you have to put air in just one of your tires recently? If so, it could be a cracked rim, and you may have created a bubble when you put air in.

I would check all your rims for cracks or heavy dents. Take off your rims, clean them, and take a hard look. If you are lucky the crack will be repairable.
Also, while they are off look at your tires, see if you can spot any bubbles. Sometimes they are tiny and hard to see, so run your hand gently on every part of the tire.
Mine was on the inside. (Inside the wheel weld, so I couldn't spot it until I took off the tire, and when I did...OMG I could not believe I got away with driving on that tire for as long as I did.)

Good luck.
Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Thank you for the suggestion/warning...i'll do that when i rotate the tires!
Old 02-20-2007, 07:29 PM
Pro

Def take it in to so the dealer can inspect it. At our dealership, we would put the tire on the balancer to check to see if the rim is bent. If there is any indication (curb marks, cracks, chunks of the rim missing) than it will not be under warranty.

There can be alot of reasons why your car is riding this way. Get it into the shop so they can look at it and do what is needed to fix the issue.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:14 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rotate the tires on your own it should only take 45 minutes tops, then again a tire rotation is only what $10.00, well I guess bringing it to a Town Fair Tire would be better afterall.