Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Vibration

First thread ladies and gentleman, so please bare w/ me: I've owned my ACURA TL 07 for a week now, its has 30k on it. My buddy was the salesman and he took a civic and had me follow him on windy roads. He said, I want you to keep up. It was a great way for me to feel comfortable in getting the feel for the performance of this car. He was squealin and rollin that civic like crazy, basically tryin to keep away from me. I was amazed how well the bigger car did. Anyways, I bought it. But now that its mine and I drive it a bunch, I'm curious about the vibration in the steering wheel. I guess I feel it between 50 and 80, and it really isnt THAT bad. Other people say it is fine. But I, as well as you do, want my car to perform its best. It doesnt get worse if I'm "flying" with it. I also had to make myself understand, "Anth, you are driving a FWD car w twice as many ponies as your last car. When the wheels that are under power are the same wheels you steer with... I am gonna feel it more in the steering wheel as opposed to a RWD car. Laura says its just sensitive and there is nothing wrong. I have only owned manual 4 bangers on the smaller side. And recently I've only test driven this TL, a CTS, and a 2010 Legacy GT. The CTS drove well, but the big problem is it IS a Cadillac, and the Legacys manual was horrible, and I'm not fond of turboin' a four cylinder to push such a big car; I just feel a Honda made V6 SOHC is the obvious choice for every reason. I know I drifted, but I guess my big question is: Should my TL be free of vibration? Or is what I'm feeling the road? As of now I believe the car is great because the engine isn't completely silenced, it is responsive, sensitive, and I feel like I have a great connection w/ the road, plus it will keep me awake. My greatest fear was ownin an automatic luxury car and fallin asleep behind the wheel after work; you know, plush leather seats, late night Jazz, no engine noise, no shiftin gears, no sleep for 20hrs, and then Zzzzzzzz

Thank You All,
Anth
Old 10-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
You should not be experiencing any type of vibrations at all through your steering wheel. As in any vehicle, this is a symptom of a problem which needs to be addressed. It can be as simple and obvious as poorly worn or defective tires, or tires out of balance, or it can be an alignment problem. The worse case would be problems in your steering mechanicals, suspension, or drive components (CV joints, half shafts, etc.).

Best to get your car into a quality shop to have it looked at and the sooner the better.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
You should not be experiencing any type of vibrations at all through your steering wheel. As in any vehicle, this is a symptom of a problem which needs to be addressed. It can be as simple and obvious as poorly worn or defective tires, or tires out of balance, or it can be an alignment problem. The worse case would be problems in your steering mechanicals, suspension, or drive components (CV joints, half shafts, etc.).

Best to get your car into a quality shop to have it looked at and the sooner the better.
Sort of off topic but I started experiencing steering wheel vibration (most noticeable between 60-100 km/h) after performing a tire rotation. After the dealer checked for tire balancing and wheel alignment it was determined that the vibration was probably from uneven tire wear.

In this situation, will the steering wheel vibration go away as the tires even out with time and wear?
Old 10-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by 403 UA6
Sort of off topic but I started experiencing steering wheel vibration (most noticeable between 60-100 km/h) after performing a tire rotation. After the dealer checked for tire balancing and wheel alignment it was determined that the vibration was probably from uneven tire wear.

In this situation, will the steering wheel vibration go away as the tires even out with time and wear?
More often than not, the problem will get worse because the tires are not too likely to correct themselves and even out their wear patterns. Not impossible, but not too common. Also if the problem is pronounced, your shocks can take a bit of a beating from the constant irregularity of the tires.