Steering wheel vibration at 50-70

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011 | 07:47 PM
Instructor

Steering wheel vibration at 50-70

Hi All,

So I had few issues....once was when I am reach 50-70 speeds steering wheel shakes. So did a wheel balancing and a alignment no result. Now the place I got the tires says I might need a road force wheel balancing.....is this a good thing? is it bad for the tires.....I am dumb in these stuff could some please let me know if it is a good thing to do?

Second I used to hear this funny noise that when ever I slow down I hear this noise. Mechanic finally found out that it is my arm joint bushes and rubber/plastic starting to fall apart. So he sprayed something there and noise is gone....He is saying I should replace it .....could someone please let me know the part number and where I could buy the parts.....

Thanks alot in adavance
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

hunter road force balancing. great at fixing most annoying vibrations and pulls assuming they are coming from the tires and wheels. do a search on google and you can read up on it. you can even run a search on here and see what other members experiences have been or their opinions. i had this done when i installed new tires (DWS) and the dynamic balancer just wasn't cutting it at the tire shop. my dealer said RFB to fix it...got rid of most of my high speed vibrations and pulling, but revealed other issues...bad axles (but that's a whole other chapter in my car's life).

most dealers have the hunter RFB machine.

as far as the funny noises...you're gonna have to be a little more specific.

hope this helps. good luck.
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:17 PM
Instructor

Yeah I have DWS too and it started after installing them...about the noise only thing I would want know is......what is a good place where I could buy arm joint bushes? and what is the part number
Old 05-25-2011 | 08:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by woow14623
Yeah I have DWS too and it started after installing them...about the noise only thing I would want know is......what is a good place where I could buy arm joint bushes? and what is the part number
if you just installed the tires...the tires shop may have done a crap job balancing them. mine were better after i coughed up more money for the RFB at the dealer and after my axles were replaced. still have a real subtle vibration on the Rt. which might be from the 5mm wheel spacer i have to clear the brembos. working on swapping them out with a custom made spacer i ordered (hubcentric and wheel centric). is your tire pressure in spec? and the alignment is good? the TL is finicky with its alignment numbers.

arm joint bushings....the dealer? online OEM vendors? somebody else might have a better idea. sorry can't help with this one.
Old 05-25-2011 | 09:11 PM
Instructor

what should be the TL alignment numbers should be? If someone could let me know I could make sure I adjust them to be that
Old 05-26-2011 | 06:37 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by woow14623
what should be the TL alignment numbers should be? If someone could let me know I could make sure I adjust them to be that
toe is the only thing adjustable on our cars. the toe needs to be at 0 if not really really close, not just "in spec".
Old 06-01-2011 | 11:23 AM
Instructor

Did the road force balancing....still no luck....it still shakes....what else could I check.....I am going nuts. I contacted the dealer and they are asking $99 just to diagnose this thing.... could someone pls help.....
Old 06-01-2011 | 07:12 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

ok now you have to start looking at pricier items...suspension, axles...

$99 is about the going rate for diagnostics at the dealer...

whatever happened with your noise?? anything to do with your vibration??
Old 06-01-2011 | 07:34 PM
Chapter Leader (New England)

To be honest man, if you don't do you own wrenching on you car the best thing to do would be to take it to Acura and have it diagnosed. Vibrations can be caused by any number of things....cupping on the tires due to bad alignment, bad axles, bad suspension bushings, unbalanced tires, bent wheel, mud/ice/roadkill stuck to the inside of the wheel, too many hookers in the trunk.....the list goes on.......
Old 06-02-2011 | 11:26 AM
Instructor

TLGirl

As I mentioned.....Mechanic sprayed something and noise went away....I am still waiting on replacing it.....Maybe that is the cause? Never know. Could you please let me know a check list which I could ask my mechanic to first look at before taking it to the dealer?

Thanks so much in advance.
Old 06-02-2011 | 01:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

pretty much anything that jmiller listed.

if you know for sure everything checked out with the RFB...then you've ruled out the wheels and tires (we hope).

whatever your mechanic sprayed...if its the suspension bushings...it coul dbe that. vibrations and rattles are a real pain to narrow down b/c it can come from so many different sources.

if you trust your mechanic and confident in his competence, then have him go over everything. otherwise, find a dealer that can help you out (meaning find one that isn't going to jerk you around and say "i didn't feel it, problem not reproducible..."). if you go the dealer route...take a ride in the car WITH the tech and describe exactly what you feel when and what not. usually making nice nice with them will get you a long way (if they want to keep having you as a customer).
Old 06-20-2011 | 08:05 AM
10th Gear

I bought a used 2005 TL with 87K miles, car vibrated after half tank gas and I had new tires put on it driving off the lot. ended up being 2 bent rims. So that issue was taken care of .
Then at any gas level the car vibrated between 55-70, constant vibration in the steering wheel and everytime. I finally got noticed by the GM of the dealership when I gave a very bad customer service rating and a little bad mouth of the technicians. The service manager tried very hard to say it was the characteristic of the car and he drove 2 other TL's with the same issue that he drove.
I told him then those cars have an issue and need to be looked at.
finally after 2 new sets of tires the issue has been taken care of.
I do not know the exact tire I had on before but it was the stock tire for the 05 TL they were using.
They replaced the tires with Falken 235/45ZR17 ZE-502 ZIEX
the car rides smooth now.
I still do not know how they can put a car on the lot with 2 bent rims and the tires were bald and expect someone to buy it like that.
Saying vibration is the characteristic of the vehicle is so LAME and if you can do not put up with it. Took me the complete 30 days to get this issue taken care of so was within the dealers warranty period of the car thank goodness.
So be cautious when buying a used car and thoroughly test drive.
Hope this helps someone.