Steering Wheel Shake

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Shake

My steering has started to shake when applying the brakes while I am on the highway. It doesn't do it at low speeds (<50mph). I know that the front rotors are usually the culprit, but they appear to be in great shape. I am going to take them off tonight to thoroughly check them out. But my back rotor does have grooves in it that I could feel when I was running my hand over it. Could this also cause the shake, or would it only occur from the front rotors?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I had the exact same problem and it got worse as I didn't do anything about it. I'm going to say it is a front rotor in your case.

In my case, we diagnosed and found out my front right rotor was the culprit. Maybe it was the pad too, I dunno.

Since both rotors looked and measured fine we did a test at night (when not many cars/noises on the road) and went down a street where there was a big fence next to it and hit the brakes to listen for a sound (the sound kinda bounced off the fence to help us hear) and we heard nothing from the left side but heard something on the right side that sounded like it wasn't clearing smoothly and that side was indeed the culprit.

About a month ago I finally took the rotor and pads back to where I bought them from and got a new rotor and new pads under warranty and all is good again.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05SSMTL
My steering has started to shake when applying the brakes while I am on the highway. It doesn't do it at low speeds (<50mph). I know that the front rotors are usually the culprit, but they appear to be in great shape. I am going to take them off tonight to thoroughly check them out. But my back rotor does have grooves in it that I could feel when I was running my hand over it. Could this also cause the shake, or would it only occur from the front rotors?
Your rotors are warped.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Unless they are gouged, there no way to tell if your rotors are warped from a visual inspection. Just knock them off the hub and have them turned at your local auto parts store for about 15 bucks each. And yeah if the steering wheel shakes while braking your front rotors are warped. If the back brakes were cause the vibration, you would feel it in your ass (shaking seat) and not in the steering wheel. Hope this helps.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:32 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
rotors are warped....

I would switch them out....but if you want you can turn em....wont do much good thow....

Also if the vibration to the wheel is coming all the time (without applying the brake as well) then i would blame your tires/balancing....
Old 08-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Definitely no seat shaking. If it turns out the rotors are warped, I guess it would be time to upgrade.....
Old 08-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Many mention warped rotors but in my opinion it is the buildup of pad material at various spots around the rotor causing the problem. As stated above, you'll have a difficult time eye-balling the problem area(s), but if you have a mic it may show you the areas if the reading is taken at numerous spots. Best bet is to purchase new rotors and be done with it.

Many will have them turned, but in my experience, when turning a rotor the thickness will normally be under the factory minimum and the person doing the job will probably never put a mic on the rotor to check if it is under the minimum thickness. Some will turn the rotor as it is an inexpensive way to get the job done and do away with the vibration, but a thinner rotor can cause more heat, quicker buildup and the return of problems.

Just get quality rotors and be done with it.

If the rear is scored slightly, it won't present a problem, but if deep and numerous, might want to think about replacements.

Last edited by Turbonut; 08-22-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:26 AM
4th Gear

Replacing the rotors and pads could solve the problem.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 AM
4th Gear

Also try to get the wheels balance and check the tread left on each tire
Old 08-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Here's the flow chart on how to figure out what's causing the vibration:

1. Vibration Occurs ONLY when braking at High speeds in Steering Wheel = Front rotors are warped. Replacements are recommended.
2. Vibration Occurs ONLY when Braking at High speeds in Seat/body = Rear rotors are warped. Replacement recommended.
3. Both 1 and 2 are occurring -> front and rear rotors are warped

4. Vibration Occurs ONLY at High speeds regardless of Braking/Acceleration = Tires are unbalanced. Clean off your wheels and after a short drive to warm up the tires, take it to a tire place that can balance the wheels properly. A shop with a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCER is recommended.

5. Vibration Occurs ONLY at Certain Speeds or Speed Ranges regardless of Braking/Acceleration = That could be one of a few things; A rim may be bent slightly or a suspension bushing could be torn allowing a vibration to show up. Ask a tire shop to check the wheels for bends and also have a shop inspect the suspension components.
The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
Elegant TYPE S (08-26-2011), imj0257 (08-25-2011)
Old 08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
[Mod Censored Title]

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
^this guy nailed it
Old 08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Here's the flow chart on how to figure out what's causing the vibration:

1. Vibration Occurs ONLY when braking at High speeds in Steering Wheel = Front rotors are warped. Replacements are recommended.
2. Vibration Occurs ONLY when Braking at High speeds in Seat/body = Rear rotors are warped. Replacement recommended.
3. Both 1 and 2 are occurring -> front and rear rotors are warped

4. Vibration Occurs ONLY at High speeds regardless of Braking/Acceleration = Tires are unbalanced. Clean off your wheels and after a short drive to warm up the tires, take it to a tire place that can balance the wheels properly. A shop with a HUNTER ROAD FORCE BALANCER is recommended.

5. Vibration Occurs ONLY at Certain Speeds or Speed Ranges regardless of Braking/Acceleration = That could be one of a few things; A rim may be bent slightly or a suspension bushing could be torn allowing a vibration to show up. Ask a tire shop to check the wheels for bends and also have a shop inspect the suspension components.
I was JUST about to post that.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i had that + squeaky brakes when i got my tls i went back to dealer and they got me new rotors and brake pads
problem fixed