Steering wheel locked and brakes not working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel locked and brakes not working.

I'm trying to help out a friend with her 2006 TL and was just wondering if anyone here has had a issue similar to this. Here's her story.... "I gently parked on the curb –then GENTLY drove off of it. When I got off the curb, the steering wheel was locked – wouldn’t turn and the brakes were not working. Of course this was Greenfield = HILLS. Freakin’ scary. My first thought was that maybe I hadn’t actually turned the ignition key completely on so I turned it off and then restarted it. Same thing again, until I actually pumped the brakes a few times. Anyways, I pulled over, put it in park and pumped the brakes a few times and everything went back to normal. This has never happened before.

The Acura dealer recommended (didn’t do it yet) the power steering flush and brake fluid flush – do you think either of these were the cause?"

I thought maybe the car stalled on her, as per the fuse box recall, but she said it was definitely running, until she shut it off and restarted it and then it still had the issue. I don't know what would cause locked steering and loss of brakes besides having the wheel locked before starting the car and engine stall for brake loss? The car was parked on a hill with 2 wheels higher than the other, on a curb, but I don't see any issues with that either. If there was air in the brake lines or master cylinder it would just be a gooshy pedal and wouldn't come back after pumping the pedal right?
Thanks for your help. I'm a Ford guy so I'm used to working on my car but this doesn't sound like anything I know how to fix.
-Steve
Old 12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And she also said that the steering wheel was "ridiculously tight" from the moment she tried to drive away. She also had the car in to the dealer for rotor resurfacing and pad replacement the week before.
Just trying to think of all the relevant info I can.