Steering Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Steering Issues?

Hi all, just picked up my new low mileage (under 30k) 08 TL a couple weeks ago and I have a couple questions about the steering.

Overall the steering is very heavy. I work for a car rental company as a vehicle transporter, and so I've driven literally dozens of models of car; everything from tiny shitboxes like the Mazda 2 and Fiat 500 all the way up to a Hino 185 truck chassis with a 20' box. I know that a sportier car does benefit from tighter steering, and I'm certainly not expecting the loosey-goosey steering you get from more humdrum vehicles.

I've talked to two TL Type S owners I know IRL and they both say that yes, the steering rack is a bit heavy, especially at parking lot speeds, but once you get up to speed it's fine. I find this to the be the case too, but the steering is so heavy that it's starting to cause muscular strain to my upper arms and back. Maybe I need to work out more? Haha. Or maybe there's something else going on? The power steering pump, btw, seems fine: no noises except the usual sound at opposite locks.

So the question is: is it just me? Or could there be something up with the steering?

Another question: when cornering at speed, the car will occasionally jink slightly in the opposite direction. So if turning into a left-hander, it'll smootly take it until about midway through when it pulls slightly to the right. It's certainly controllable, but it's odd nevertheless.

Any ideas or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Yes TL type s does have heavy steering wheel and this is normal, just get a steering wheel fluid flush and it help out a bit but not much. The heavy steering wheel is a good thing because it makes your vehicle stable at high speed.
The following users liked this post:
Dunnik (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by truonghthe
The heavy steering wheel is a good thing because it makes your vehicle stable at high speed.
Indeed, certainly not complaining about a heavier steering rack, for as you say at speed it's an awesome thing to have. Just wondering if its too heavy.

I'll guess I'll try the PS fluid flush, thanks!

Any ideas about the jinking mid-turn?

Last edited by Dunnik; 10-15-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunnik
Any ideas about the jinking mid-turn?
That is a problem, and not characteristic of any TL.

How does the front tire wear look?

Get the front end looked at, then get a four-wheel alignment and see if that helps resolve or minimize both the jinking and the steering tightness issues.

Also, the steering is a little heavier than most cars, but not a lot (standard and many "premium" rental cars tend to have what most enthusiasts would consider overboosted power-assisted steering).

Welcome to AZ.
Dunnik (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I wonder if your front swaybar endlinks are worn out, or maybe your compliance bushings. The "jinking" definitely isn't normal. I can't even imagine what else could cause such a feeling.

I think a 4 wheel alignment is a good idea also. It's never a bad thing to have your alignment checked every so often.
Dunnik (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. The tires are actually original equipment: Michelin Pilots. Seven or eight year old rubber, but tread is good and no signs of cracking on the sidewall. As winter is coming soon I thought I'd ride them out for the next few weeks. Hopefully new rubber along with an alignment will solve the problem. If not, I'll have the front end suspension inspected. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Like TacoCat said, compliance bushings could cause the issues you're talking about.

And even though the Type-S steering is heavier, its not heavy to the point where it should strain you.

Can you hear anything strange while turning the wheel lock to lock? As in, does the PS pump or rack moan? The racks in these cars are known to leak and could cause the issues you're describing.
Dunnik (10-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Nope, no noises at all, aside from the usual slight straining any PS pump produces when held at opposite locks.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Registered Big Dog

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My power steering was very stiff, i did a flush and it became much better.

this is relatively cheap and easy to do. I recommending giving that a shot and seeing if it improves.