Start up issues (random)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 12:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Start up issues (random)

So in the last week or so my car had developed a random hesitation when starting up. It almost feels like the battery is dying, but the thing is, the battery is about 6-7 months old and still in a perfect shape. I had it checked today and it shows 12.57V and 725CCA on 700CCA rated. On two occasions, the car even refused to start/crank, and on several the cranks were slow.

Could a little bit of corrosion on the positive wire cause the intermediate start up problems that I am experiencing? I am planning to clean it, but not sure how yet. However, besides cleaning the wires, is there anything else I could check? Could it be that I have some other electrical issues? starter perhaps?

I appreciate any info
Old 08-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
Could a little bit of corrosion on the positive wire cause the intermediate start up problems that I am experiencing? I am planning to clean it, but not sure how yet.
Yes. Pull the cables off the battery and clean the terminals. You can buy one of the battery terminal brushes or just use some type of brush. I use a small wire brush with some baking soda to scrub mine down. You can even just use an old tooth brush if that is all you have. Just get the battery and cable surfaces all clean. Once clean, lube up the terminals with petroleum jelly to help keep them from corroding again. Make sure all connections are tight with no play in them.
The following users liked this post:
mlody (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jackass
Yes. Pull the cables off the battery and clean the terminals. You can buy one of the battery terminal brushes or just use some type of brush. I use a small wire brush with some baking soda to scrub mine down. You can even just use an old tooth brush if that is all you have. Just get the battery and cable surfaces all clean. Once clean, lube up the terminals with petroleum jelly to help keep them from corroding again. Make sure all connections are tight with no play in them.
I just finished cleaning the battery terminals and the cables. So far so good. I made at least 5-7 successful startup's without any hesitation. At this point, I guess only time will tell.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2016, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
When the car refused to crank, did you get a rapid clicking noise? If yes, that meant the battery is dead and the starter is trying to work. If you didnt get that rapid clicking sound, that means there is enough power but your starter is on it's way out.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
When my cables were having "issues", I would open the door, all interior lights worked, my headlights worked, but as soon as I turned the key, everything went dead. Not dim....dead. Also to note, I had been curious about my battery age taking its toll since when it did start, it sounded a bit weak. Cleaning and tightening the cables took care of my issues....for a while. Turns out my battery was cracked and was leaking just under the positive clamp which was the cause of the corrosion. It ended up eating my clamp, breaking, and leaving my wife stranded at work. New cable, new battery, and several years later it still starts perfectly.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

i am not sure if it is too early to report; however, thus far no issues and all I did I cleaned the battery post terminals and the cables from all the corrosion and applied new grease.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,046 Likes on 777 Posts
As said before, keep your posts clean and you should be able to rule out battery unless you get it tested and it is below normal operating levels.