Speakers make rattles - brand new 06 TL (1 week old)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 10:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Speakers make rattles - brand new 06 TL (1 week old)

So I just got my TL about a week ago, and I've been hearing weird rattles in the back when I play certain songs with a lot of bass. It almost sounded like a speaker was blown or something, but I took a closer look and the part that the rear speakers are built into (I don't know what to call it) is what's rattling. If I put a little pressure on it and hold it down there's absolutely no rattling - sounds perfect.

Has anyone else had this problem? Anything real easy I could do or should I take this up with the dealer? It's incredibly annoying because everything sounds great most of the time, but there are just certain songs that make it rattle and it sounds terrrrrrible. Any help is much appreciated - thanks.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
You should just take it to the dealer. Its covered under warranty.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem on the driver and passenger door. I took in my to get it fixed and it lasted about a week. I'm going to try to have them fix when I bring in my car for my first oil change.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:32 PM
Instructor

mine goes in next week for the same damn thing!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry

I took mines in and the dealer said that nothing was wrong. They supposely put a CD in that Acura had sent out to all of there dealers. The rattles wasn't present when there CD was installed. I asked Before I picked my car up if they found anything wrong and they said NO. I had my wife drop by the dealer the next morning and on the 3rd song of a CD I had, the rattle was present. Service rep now has ordered a subwoofer for my car. That was 2 weeks ago. I haven't heard from them yet. I guess its time to call the dealer
Old 05-07-2006, 06:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Boo that. I still don't even have plates on it haha - I'm goin back there to pick them up very soon so I guess I'll just ask about it then. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:25 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They replaced my subwoofer under warranty for that rattle (among others).
Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 PM
Racer

I noticed the same problem on my new '06 before I made it home from the dealer the first time. It is either the grill on the sub or the housing for the seatbelt in the rear. I took it back to the dealer and showed the service manager. He offered to fix it, but I had already decided to ditch the crappy sub anyhow. I was afraid to let the dealer tear apart a one day old car, possibly causing more rattles.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Currently at 50,546 miles

I think I might have one under the center speaker - it just seems to have come about, so I'm gonna wait for about a week and see if it goes away - most of the ones I've had in the TL have come and gone in a few days. (Just had one under the passenger seat that wouldn't... got that one fixed.)
Old 05-11-2006, 03:02 AM
Instructor

man, i have the same problem too. It irratated me. I had my friend sit in the back hold it down, jus to make sure my spearkers werne't blown out, so it was jus the center one that was rattling. So you all suggest i shoudl just bring it to the dealer and have them fix it?
Old 05-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Instructor

David McDavid Acura of Austin Fixed it no problems or questions.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Take a look over in the 3G Garage area. There are a number of threads on DIY fixes for the rattles.

You can take it to the dealer and you may or may not get it fixed. Or you can do it yourself if you think (with the proper directions) you can do a better job.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:27 PM
...I like stories...

Subwoofer bad!

This might merit a sticky; my TL is less than one month old and all of a sudden the subwoofer is rattling while playing my tunes! I called Acura of Boston and will drop it off in the morning and post my results later.

G
Old 05-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
A sticky??? i wouldnt think so.... but there is something probably wrong with the grill and or how it was but in. Seems like some were built with this and some wern't... we hav a 2004 and never had a problem

if it sounds better it if is was pushed in, then i believe it is logical to say that the top cover does not fit the top of the sub - they are not together; therefore, if the sub vibrates and touches the top panel
Old 05-22-2006, 05:11 PM
Advanced

Two threads over in the 3G Garage to check out:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97028

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-pioneer-avh-p6400cd-gex-p6400tv-dvd-etc-98813/
Old 05-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
A sticky??? i wouldnt think so.... but there is something probably wrong with the grill and or how it was but in. Seems like some were built with this and some wern't... we hav a 2004 and never had a problem

if it sounds better it if is was pushed in, then i believe it is logical to say that the top cover does not fit the top of the sub - they are not together; therefore, if the sub vibrates and touches the top panel
I play hard bass (rap, techno) daily and my 2004 has yet to rattle. Maybe I'm lucky......either way it is coming out in the next month or two to make way for a fiberglass box, hopefully
Old 05-23-2006, 08:31 AM
...I like stories...

Subwoofer rattle - car in shop.

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr

Luckily for me the rear deck cover isn't loose, nor is the subwoofer. From the back seat and trunk I've checked both for loosening and both are sturdily in place. After discussing this issue with the service manager this is remedied by surrounding the subwoofer with foam insulation. Acura of Boston is the largest in Boston Metro thus I'm hoping that his crew knows how to address this properly.

G
Old 05-23-2006, 04:03 PM
...I like stories...

Subwoofer replaced.

I must say that I'm an VERY IMPRESSED with Acura of Boston; the staff was extremely helpful, I got shuttled to/from work and they fixed my issue. The OEM subwoofer died just 28 days after I drove it off the lot. They first removed the subwoofer and reinforced the area with insulated foam; then they reseated the original and tested it. Rattling still occurred, this required that they remove the entire rear panel and make sure it wasn't the cause. Once they established it was the woofer, presto they changed it (warranty) and reseated everything. The sound system was tested (radio, CD and XM), and it was tested with the radio off as well (which is how it was when I drove my baby home). An A+ experience all around.

G
Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

My TL had a ratlle when playing bassy music also. Was getting the underbody kit installed, told the service manager (Criswell Acura in Annapolis, MD) about the ratlle from the rear deck. When I picked up the car I asked if they fixed it. He told me that there was a service notice by Acura. They installed some felt to prevent the sub from hitting the deck when being pushed. Jammed on the way home with no problems.

I am pleased with their service.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Dam...the a different vibration just appeared. Time for some creative troubleshooting.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:50 AM
3rd Gear

My 06 TL rattles as well. I managed to track the rattles down to the white plastic light covers on both the driver and passenger doors. They are located near the bottom of the door, near the storage compartments (pouches).

They appear to be simple snap in pieces so they do not have a tight fit and will end up rattling. I'm thinking that a small bead of silicon on the backside of the cover, snapping it into place, and wiping away the excess will take care of it.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
King of NYC

Received 216 Likes on 153 Posts
Dudes I'd say 90% of us have this "rattle" I read about this problem well in advance of buying this car. After buying the car, put in any hip-hop bass, the rear shelf DEFINITELY rattles. It has all to do with that rear shelf/subwoofer housing. Just press the edge near the rear glass and listen to the rattle disappear!

This is present in other Hondas too. Just throw a sub in the trunk and watch the whole area rattle. I shouldn't bash Honda huh? Well how about this: I had 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects in the trunk of my BMW 540i with 1000 watts. NO RATTLES!!!! Just the license plate a bit which was fixed with a lil foam. Now that's how you make a car! We installed a similar system in a 2003 Civic. The car rattled so bad it sounded like it was going to fall apart! Even after dynamatting extensively that rear deck STILL rattles!

The only way to fix the rear rattles is to insulate, insulate. I've been putting it off too but all you got to do is take all the covers off, play some bassy music and see what is rattling and insulate and reinstall.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:07 PM
King of NYC

Dudes I'd say 90% of us have this "rattle". I read about this problem well in advance of buying this car. Sure enough, after buying the car, put in any hip-hop bass, the rear shelf DEFINITELY rattles. It has all to do with that rear shelf/subwoofer housing. Just press the edge near the rear glass and listen to the rattle disappear! I'd say if you don't have this rattle your car is abnormal and you're really lucky.

This is present in other Hondas too. Just throw a sub in the trunk and watch the whole area rattle. I shouldn't bash Honda huh? Well when it comes to this I sorta have to: I had 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfects in the trunk of my BMW 540i with 1000 watts. NO RATTLES!!!! Just the license plate rattled a bit which was fixed with a lil foam. Now that's how you make a car! It's a freakin vault! We installed a similar system in a 2003 Civic. The car rattled so bad it sounded like it was going to fall apart! Even after dynamatting extensively that rear deck STILL rattles and we gave up on it! My friend drives around with a magazine wedged in somewhere to keep it from rattling now.

The only way to fix the rear rattles is to insulate, insulate! I've been putting it off too but all you got to do is take all the covers off, play some bassy music and see what is rattling and insulate and reinstall.i Check the aforementioned links for fixes. Someone stuffed T-shirts all over the place under the sub. Hey don't laugh, it works right? I plan in installing 1 of my old Infinty 12" subs and I'm worried about everything rattling but I'm going to have to tackle it if I want any kind of bass. Sorry the factory sub is as weak as a clock radio speaker.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm starting to notice the sub rattling to...argh
Old 09-29-2006, 12:13 PM
RVC
Advanced

My dealer said I have my bass turned up too loud...what a bunch of jackasses.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Intermediate

Got my TL back from the dealership yesterday, they installed EPT Sealer on the rear shelf. The vibration and rattling are gone :thumbsup.

1st trip - They installed wool felt around the subwoofer.
2nd trip - They installed EPT sealer around the rear deck.

Problem solved.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:49 PM
King of NYC

Hmm I wonder if I can get my dealer to do that too.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:00 PM
Banned

FACT: If you have a 2006 TL and do not have the rear deck rattle as many owners have stated, then something's wrong w/ your TL. Have the dealer swap it w/ one that does make this rattle which wouldn't be like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
'07 TL-S 6MT WDP

my rear shelf rattles and it comes from the center seatbelt housing - the dealer put a few zip-ties to secure it - didnt work, what a surprise - anyone knows how to fix that?
Old 02-28-2008, 10:01 PM
Instructor

So, i had the same problem. brought the car to the dealer and got the same retarded phone call back later that day.... "mr miller, u had the bass and subwoofer on full. you cant do that, the car isnt designed for full bass like that. of course it rattles!"

do u believe this sh_t? i was so pissed off, i just hung up. i got the car back and now it's WORSE! it rattles with the radio on volume 8. i dont think that is that loud!

Should i print out this blog and show it to the service rep so he knows i'm not blowing out my radio????

please advise!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i mentioned this rattle to the dealer before. they told me they found the rattle (hallelujah, they can never find something like that and just tell me to piss off) and that it was the seat belt tensioner. they "added padding to rear seat belt tensioner area". it HELPED the rattle, but it still does it on heavier bass. so annoying. if they wanted to put a sub there, shouldnt they have designed that shelf area to withstand its added vibrations? duh!

but now, it sounds like someones tapping on the back window with a piece of plastic when the car is cold... maybe the felt came off the tensioner area and is worse now? maybe they loosened something else trying to get to the tensioner? but still better with the bass, worse with regular road vibrations? i dunno. maybe i'll try some of the diy's mentioned when it gets warmer.