So I got a flat...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I got a flat...

After the East Coast Honda Meet, I decided to go chill over at my friends place. I always told her that her driveway is some garbage. It's dirt, rocks, pebbles and two cement pieces you have to drive on. On top of that, the driveway is down hill!! We've known each other for +10 yrs and I haven't had any problems before.

Long story short. I got a flat and realized it as soon as I got off her driveway. Pulled back in and was like forget it. Gotta put a donut on and I'll worry about it later.

I ended up bending the jack...Bent my side skirt outward...It's almost midnight. Can't see nothing and IDK how that happened?

Here's my flat...

Now as I jacked the car up with another jack. My brother realizes that this doesn't look like the other side. IDK what exactly this is, but it looks bent outta shape compared to the passenger side. Can yal HELP me!!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:54 AM
05' AT SSM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that sucks, you should really find out where the jack points are to avoid further Fing' up your ride.

I've had 2 flats in 10k miles...both screws. One was to close to the sidewall, had the tire replaced the second one i had got fixed with a plug.

Both times i was hours away from home and was glad i didn't remove the spare because fix-a-flat wouldn't of helped.

Its hard to tell whats wrong with your car from the pictures, but i don't think you could of caused to much damage by jacking up you car.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:37 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
That's the upper control arm, I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest with ya. If it was bent your alignment would be off and you would be able to notice something is up when one wheel sits different from the other. There are pinch welds under the side of the car for lifting. There are 4 main lift points (2x each side) By lifting the car on a flat, smooth surface in the correct lift points I don't see how any damage would have been done. It seems that you lifted before the pin welds thus damaging your side skirts. Those factory jacks are designed to lift up the vehicle without bending or breaking.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Pz_
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It must be flat season, I hit a chuckhole the other day and popped a tire, bent the wheel a little bit too. First time I had jacked the TL up, was pretty easy to match up where the factory jack went under the car. In fact, it was the easiest tire I think I can remember ever changing.

I got some Sumitomos on there now, not too happy with them. Maybe they didn't balance them right, but they seem to make the ride a lot rougher, the car shakes a little too much now and I have new rattles that I never noticed before. Ah well, they were about 1/3 the cost of the OEM tires that were on the car when I got it.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the comments guys.

This was my first flat EVER!! lol + I'm a grl. ( Not using that as an excuse. ) But all is well now. I guess I was just tired and the situation just made it worst. Got the spare on and drove it down the street where they inspected the tire. Glad they were open today!! Got the tire plugged and super happy that I was on the spare for less than 2 minutes!!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:53 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by WluvC0124
Thanks for the comments guys.

This was my first flat EVER!! lol + I'm a grl. ( Not using that as an excuse. ) But all is well now. I guess I was just tired and the situation just made it worst. Got the spare on and drove it down the street where they inspected the tire. Glad they were open today!! Got the tire plugged and super happy that I was on the spare for less than 2 minutes!!
Not to give you bad criticism but isn't plugging a tire bad for it? How much would a new tire have cost? There is nothing wrong with your control arm, as pointed in the picture. Like said above, there are 4 lift points. Like WDP said, you must not have been on the lift point. I wouldn't worry about it, since it's under the car
Old 05-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,015 Likes on 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokd05
Not to give you bad criticism but isn't plugging a tire bad for it? How much would a new tire have cost? There is nothing wrong with your control arm, as pointed in the picture. Like said above, there are 4 lift points. Like WDP said, you must not have been on the lift point. I wouldn't worry about it, since it's under the car
Plugging a tire is fine as long as it's done properly. Patching it from the inside is the best way to repair it. BUT the nail/hole must be in the tread section and not the sidewalls nor within 1 inch of the sidewall.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:52 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Plugging a tire is fine as long as it's done properly. Patching it from the inside is the best way to repair it. BUT the nail/hole must be in the tread section and not the sidewalls nor within 1 inch of the sidewall.
Ohh ok. Well cool. Doesn't the tire have to be replaced if the hole is in the sidewall? I've always patched 4 wheeler tires but nothing for on highway-use. I've heard stories of the plugs slinging out, inevitebly it wasn't done right
Old 05-31-2010, 03:03 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokd05
Doesn't the tire have to be replaced if the hole is in the sidewall?
Yes.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:18 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
That totally sucks about the flat tire after the east coast honda meet.
Well is back and runnig keep the car clean because is a nice color
Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice! Glad it ended well.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 PM
05 TL NBP 6spd S front

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
What is showing in the picture is the upper control arm that is the big horse shoe that you see, and what is in the center where the flash is shining is the upper ball joint, it looks good from the picture. When you decide to drop your car and you realize that you need a front camber kit you will replace the upper ball joint that will allow you adjust the camber.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by princelybug
Nice! Glad it ended well.
ME TOO!!

Originally Posted by melvin2816
What is showing in the picture is the upper control arm that is the big horse shoe that you see, and what is in the center where the flash is shining is the upper ball joint, it looks good from the picture. When you decide to drop your car and you realize that you need a front camber kit you will replace the upper ball joint that will allow you adjust the camber.
I will definitely look into that. But I know for sure that next time it won't be as hard!!