Small Scratch on Rim!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 04:41 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Small Scratch on Rim!

hey guys made a huge mistake got my type-s rim scratched on a car wash. small white scratch on charcoal rim anyone know of any quick fix other then getting a new rim. thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:18 PM
4th Gear

Nick,
You might try touch up paint if the scratch isn't too deep.
The female driver (aka wife) of my 04 TL put some curb rash on most of the circumfernce of 1 rim. (31 years of marriage - whadayagonado?). I sanded the rough spots smooth using a dremel and found that the silver body paint was a decent match. Certainly not as good as new, but if it happens again I won't feel as bad as spending $400 for a new wheel. There are also many shops doing "refinishing" for a fraction of the new wheel cost.

B53
Old 11-04-2010, 11:36 PM
3rd Gear

Hey guys,
I am new to the forum and hopefully I am not asking a question that is all over the site.
I just recently totaled my 06' RSX so I bought an Anthracite Metallic 05' TL w/ A-Spec pkg. and gunmetal looking rims. I took it to the carwash and noticed the front driver wheel is completely scratched and looks black. Do you know of any problems with these rims chipping? I know I can be a bad driver at times but I know I did not scrape anything & now the bf is blaming me...lol
Please help...not sure why they are black underneath they are the stock wheels and not knowing why all of a sudden the paint chipped off on most of it out of nowhere.
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My "Chrome Look" A-Spec ones that came on the '08 TL Type-S I bought have places where the chrome paint is chipping off. Long story short (actually, in another thread that I'll be updating), I'm taking my car back to the sales manager who sold me it, who's going to take a look. He said that if it's an Acura rim it should be covered under warranty, even if it's an Acura accessory option and not a factory option.

(I had originally taken my car back to them the day after I bought it but they said they couldn't do anything since it was an aftermarket non-Acura rim - I didn't know any better til I saw what the A-Spec rims were. I took it to a closer dealership to see if they'd warranty them while they were doing other warranty work... they said that while they were Acura Accessory rims, they're only covered for 12 months/12,000 miles from date of purchase, and since I had bought the car used they didn't know when they were purchased. So I called up the original sales manager who sold me the car and he said to bring it in and he'll take a look.)

...well, so much for 'long story short'.

Anyway, if you bring it back to the dealership you bought it from and have the sales manager take a look, they might be able to do something for you. I'll post an update on how my meeting goes tonight.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Went to the dealership this afternoon. Updated this thread.

I had pointed out the flaws in the rims when I got the car. I still need to take pics (it's dark now), but where it peels off it is black underneath. Depending on how long ago you got the car and the warranty you got with it, you may be able to get it taken care of at the dealership you got the car from, but the dealership I went to needs the factory rep to approve the warranty claim.

If it looks like the paint peeling was caused by a scrape, and you don't have any pictures of the car from before you purchased it (i.e., autotrader), they might give you a hard time.

Either way, good luck
Old 11-05-2010, 10:01 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys my bf is going to look into painting them or powder coating or maybe doing them in black chrome.