Slight burning smell at high rpm, normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slight burning smell at high rpm, normal?

Hey guys so bought my car, 2007 TL-S AT, a few months ago, been reading up on the site, alot of things I want to do but no time/money at the moment lol. Love the site and information in it though +1!
So to the question, as I said bought the car back in May 37k miles. Was a lease and all service done at the local dealership. Runs great, have taken it on a few road trips no problems. However I have noticed that when exercising it on occasion there is a small burning smell for about 10-20 seconds. I have noticed this when on the highway going around 70ish and flooring when reaching about 90-110 and going over 5k rpm to get there. There is a slight burning smell, I can only smell this if I have the windows down and flooring so it goes over 5k rpm. On trips to Denver and Vegas have gotten to 110+miles without flooring and didn't notice the smell. Also no smell if I have the windows up but if I lower them after exercising it like this the smell is there. Now like I said the smell is only slight and only there for a few seconds, it goes away after rpms lower and I drive for a few seconds.
I'm not so car savvy and haven't had a car that has the power of the TL, so don't know if this is normal. I asked around with some friends who are more car savvy and they mentioned that maybe the previous owner did not drive the car like this and the car was not used to the high rpms. They mentioned to give it some time and it should go away. So it has been 6 months and 11k miles since I got the car and quite a few occasions when exercising it like this. Smell still happens so I dont know if this is normal or something I should have checked out. Other than this haven't noticed anything else about the car except a few minor cosmetic things which I intend to take care of. Thanks in advance for any input just worried that something might be wrong.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:28 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/weird-odor-when-using-sport-mode-794295/
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
catalytic converter from heating up ... its normal
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM
4th Gear

Ah!! Thank you guys! was worried about that
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Is it a rotten egg smell? If so it's normal but you shouldn't smell it inside the car. You may want to check for an exhaust leak.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM
4th Gear

Hey I hate cars, um i've never actually tried to decipher the smell lol just smelled like burning. But no it is not inside the car, I can only smell it if I have the windows down. If they are up I can not smell anything. I will try and smell more next time it happens and see if it is a rotten egg smell.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
look into a better cat from Excelerate,,one made for high flow antics
Old 11-13-2010, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

I have the same issue, 2010 MDX with 8k miles.

Originally Posted by Tyc TLS
Hey guys so bought my car, 2007 TL-S AT, a few months ago, been reading up on the site, alot of things I want to do but no time/money at the moment lol. Love the site and information in it though +1!
So to the question, as I said bought the car back in May 37k miles. Was a lease and all service done at the local dealership. Runs great, have taken it on a few road trips no problems. However I have noticed that when exercising it on occasion there is a small burning smell for about 10-20 seconds. I have noticed this when on the highway going around 70ish and flooring when reaching about 90-110 and going over 5k rpm to get there. There is a slight burning smell, I can only smell this if I have the windows down and flooring so it goes over 5k rpm. On trips to Denver and Vegas have gotten to 110+miles without flooring and didn't notice the smell. Also no smell if I have the windows up but if I lower them after exercising it like this the smell is there. Now like I said the smell is only slight and only there for a few seconds, it goes away after rpms lower and I drive for a few seconds.
I'm not so car savvy and haven't had a car that has the power of the TL, so don't know if this is normal. I asked around with some friends who are more car savvy and they mentioned that maybe the previous owner did not drive the car like this and the car was not used to the high rpms. They mentioned to give it some time and it should go away. So it has been 6 months and 11k miles since I got the car and quite a few occasions when exercising it like this. Smell still happens so I dont know if this is normal or something I should have checked out. Other than this haven't noticed anything else about the car except a few minor cosmetic things which I intend to take care of. Thanks in advance for any input just worried that something might be wrong.
I have the same issue, 2010MDX 8K miles, when I punch the accelerator, I get pungent burning smell, I took it to the dealer. It is will the dealer for 2 weeks now. First they had told me that they did not find the problem and the car is fixed, however, when I picked up the car, the problem still exists, so I dropped it off and asked them to work on it.