Should have walked away

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should have walked away

I searched for a "drive out cash price", was sent a great price(email Quote)of $35904.00 from Baranco Acura in Morrow Georgia. 4-hour drive to buy auto. Dealer said they made a price mistake and refused to deal. I had arrived at 11 am and by 5 pm, tired and angry, I accepted an "invoice" price of $35144.00 +T/T/T. The next day the AT went out, third gear. Called local service, car has been in shop for one week, Acura Techline has NO idea how to fix problem. I have requested a replacement, being considered.
With out bad luck I wouldn't have any luck! So much for "Dealer Quotes", and I thought they were required to honor quotes, HA!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:29 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Next time, buy locally even if you have to pay a few $$$ more.
I'm amazed how many people on here have travelled 100's, or in some cases, 1000's of miles just to save a few hundred bucks.

Even though all Acura dealers are supposed to provide warranty service, don't think for a minute they don't give preferrence to THEIR OWN customers.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:41 AM
I've been Canonized ;)

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DMZ
Even though all Acura dealers are supposed to provide warranty service, don't think for a minute they don't give preferrence to THEIR OWN customers.
I bought mine used and when I took it to my local dealer for an oil change and small warranty work, the first question out of his mouth was "did you buy the car from us?". It makes a difference and when I buy again, I'll probably look at my local first and try to make a deal.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's true. I live in a relatively small town; probably the smallest town an Acura dealer could still survive in. I bought the car locally at the one Acura dealer within a hundred miles. Technically, I got ripped. I paid full sticker for a TL with navi. Clearly, the problem with buying from a dealer without any local competition is that they really can charge whatever they want. They also have a Honda dealership right next door. As soon as I opened my mouth asking what they could do to knock some money off of the sticker price, the salesman said, "Oh, you can't afford this car? Well we have some nice Accords next door that might be more in your price range..." So yeah, you will get ripped if you want to buy your car from a local dealer and you're in a "small" town where there aren't any other Acura dealers to compete with. And that's what I did. I could have driven about 500 miles to SoCal and saved a couple thousand. BUT whenever I take my car in for service at my local dealership, every single service and sales rep recognizes me; they know I bought the car from them and I can tell they treat me better than others who may have bought their car elsewhere. That kind of dealer loyalty could come in handy later on if I need repair work that may not necessarily be covered under warranty, but they "good-will" the work for free because they know I bought the car from them for full sticker.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:47 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I bought mine out of state from our official sponsor and there was no misrepresentation regarding price . . . even though I could have my pick of the litter locally (that's if I had wanted to pay thousands more). Sorry to hear that they had dicked you around regarding price.

By the way, which local place did you take it to? And are you in Georgia or out of state?
Old 12-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Before I bought my 06 a couple months ago, I got a better quote from a dealer about 20plus miles away. I ended up paying $1000 extra for a dealer alot closer due to its convenience incase I need something done.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Should have walked away pt 2

I had researched a best price from 4 area dealers. Even the local dealer couldn't come close to the first quoted price ($35,904 drive out price). Turns out the dealer that offered the deal couldn't either!! I ended up buying it at invoice, $35,144.00 plus t/t/t. I have complained to the FTC, State Consumer Advocates office and to Acura. I was told they are bound to the written quote, we shall see!!! Once again the dealer is Baranco Acura of Morrow Georgia, south of Atlanta. I live in Savannah.
To top all this, the day after I got my 07 TL type-S, Carbon Bronze with Ebony/Silver home. The transmission went out, lost 3rd gear. On second week of no TL, everyone is working on it, blah, blah, blah.
At least they are saving my mileage, YEAH RIGHT. Merry Christmas to all. Ron