Shin Etsu sunroof greasing PLEASE help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 09:23 AM
Advanced

Shin Etsu sunroof greasing PLEASE help.

Hello people...i for one am not a hardcore car guy. I am an IT person...and that's what i do best so i apologize if i sound like a noob.

I have had issues with my Type-S sunroof glass rattling and its VERY annoying. First time my dealer lubricated it with Shin-Etsu and it was good for 2 months or so and now its back again. I am tired of dealing with these morons and they keep saying they can't hear any noise when i leave the car with them. I am tempted to take them for a drive myself and show them but before that i want to try and lubricate it myself and see if in fact the problem is same as before.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to actually lube the sunroof seals with Shin Etsu. I mean where do i actually grease it up and all? I'd appreciate your help a lot and eventually if this keeps coming back i will fight to have the headliner replaced or something as others have done so on this forum.

PLEASE HELP and THANKS
Old 02-11-2009 | 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

When you say it rattles is it when its opened? Closed?

Or when the sunroof is closed and the shade over it is open?
Old 02-11-2009 | 09:56 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
When you say it rattles is it when its opened? Closed?

Or when the sunroof is closed and the shade over it is open?
It rattles when it is closed and the shade over it is closed. I've also heard some rattling when the runroof is open. I am pretty positive this is a sunroof issue as it sounds exactly as how it did last time and when the dealer lubed it with Shin-Etsu it was good for a month or two. I just don't know how exactly they went about lubing it.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2009 | 01:35 PM
Drifting

I'm sure they just lubed the rails, Try driving and pressing upwards on the cover. See if that cures the sound
Old 02-11-2009 | 01:53 PM
Race Director

I have found several things out about the sunroof in the last 6 months of owning my TL. Because I too took it in for sunroof rattles, and they too only put shin etsu on. It lasted a month, if that.

Anyways...the shin etsu grease is for the rails. It's very expensive and is pretty much the best thing they can do for the rails.

However, the seals can make noise too. For this I believe it's best to DIY. Just go to the auto store and buy some spray silicon. Clean the seals with water first, let them dry. Then spray the silicon on a towel and generously apply it to all of the seals and rubber pieces. That *should* fix that issue.

But there are also some mechanical parts that can also make noise. For these I recommend you DIY and put some felt in key locations. Users here have put felt in these locations...

and

I believe those will 1) tighten up everything when everything is closed 2) put something between the deflector and the roof so it can't tap itself.

But I have found that there is a rattle BEHIND the sunroof. It's actually gotten bad. When I start the car it makes noise just from the vibration of the engine. That's with everything closed. Pull the cover open and it goes away. I'll post my find about that one later.
Old 02-11-2009 | 04:55 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
I have found several things out about the sunroof in the last 6 months of owning my TL. Because I too took it in for sunroof rattles, and they too only put shin etsu on. It lasted a month, if that.

Anyways...the shin etsu grease is for the rails. It's very expensive and is pretty much the best thing they can do for the rails.

However, the seals can make noise too. For this I believe it's best to DIY. Just go to the auto store and buy some spray silicon. Clean the seals with water first, let them dry. Then spray the silicon on a towel and generously apply it to all of the seals and rubber pieces. That *should* fix that issue.

But there are also some mechanical parts that can also make noise. For these I recommend you DIY and put some felt in key locations. Users here have put felt in these locations...

[pix omitted]

I believe those will 1) tighten up everything when everything is closed 2) put something between the deflector and the roof so it can't tap itself.

But I have found that there is a rattle BEHIND the sunroof. It's actually gotten bad. When I start the car it makes noise just from the vibration of the engine. That's with everything closed. Pull the cover open and it goes away. I'll post my find about that one later.
+1
Shin Etsu (the best) can be used on the seals as well. Order a tube on line and have enough for forever. Use it on any seals on any car.

Foam under the wind deflector was done to my car within 1 hour of owning it. Rattled on the way home from dealer, fixed it in the driveway.
Old 02-11-2009 | 05:33 PM
Suzuka Master

GM makes a silicone emulsion that comes in a small bottle with a dabber like the old liquid shoe polishes. This is about the best I have ever found for treating rubber. It will outlast the silicone sprays by months and its about $5 a bottle.

You just apply it with the dabber and work it in with a cloth and your done. I use it on the door rubbers and the sunroof & trunk seals.
Old 02-12-2009 | 08:42 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
GM makes a silicone emulsion that comes in a small bottle with a dabber like the old liquid shoe polishes. This is about the best I have ever found for treating rubber. It will outlast the silicone sprays by months and its about $5 a bottle.

You just apply it with the dabber and work it in with a cloth and your done. I use it on the door rubbers and the sunroof & trunk seals.
sorry to be a slow mo...but these seals have to be lubricated from inside right??? I mean i don't grease them up outside but dab the grease towards the inside of them...

THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD RESPONSES GUYS. GREAT HELP.
Old 02-12-2009 | 09:03 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by girishv
sorry to be a slow mo...but these seals have to be lubricated from inside right??? I mean i don't grease them up outside but dab the grease towards the inside of them...

THANKS FOR ALL THE GOOD RESPONSES GUYS. GREAT HELP.
Rub whatever you use all over any rubber pieces that have the purpose of sealing. Basically like using leather conditioner every X amount of time, except rubber.
Old 02-12-2009 | 10:28 AM
Advanced

Rub whatever you use all over any rubber pieces that have the purpose of sealing. Basically like using leather conditioner every X amount of time, except rubber.
GOTCHA.. awesome...everyone has been helpful..thanks once again
Old 02-23-2009 | 03:29 PM
Advanced

and

this has got to be the single most brilliant piece of DIY engineering ever...for a dollar.