Shifting Mechanism Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifting Mechanism Troubles

Had a clicking noise from every stop to 5 mph along with other things that had to be fixed and took it in to get it serviced. Found out it was the shifter mechanism. Acura had the part, but when they tried to put it together it was too hard, so they had to order the whole assembly from somewhere. Well after a week, I had to transfer some things from my car to the loaner and the whole center console was stripped. I said to myself, this doesn't look good. It has now been 3 weeks. I have a '08 TL as a loaner (thank God) but should I be worried? Does it take this long for something like this? I'm not complaining at all because the loaner is VERY NICE, I love it! Very different feel from an my '04. And should I wash the loaner?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:11 AM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i think i may have a problem similar to you. does the clicking sound happen when your accerlating and slowing down in slow speeds? hmm it's really up to you if you want to wash the car or not. i figure they would wash it when they get it back anyways.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:04 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The clicking sound you two are hearing is part of the mechanism that only allows you to shift out of park with your foot on the brake. Their is a small "cam" for lack of a better description that moves back and forth causing the clicking. Try this - when you take off from a stop, slightly hold your foot on the brakes. You wont hear the sound if you have activated the release mechanism.

My 04TL did the same thing from near day one. I would have sworn their was a screw rolling around in the center console until I removed the bezel/fascia around the shift gate and physically diagnosed the issue. All it took to fix the noise was a few sprays of thick lithium grease on the "cam." Doesn't effect its operation at all but definitely keeps it from swinging and "clicking" after each stop etc.. I haven't had that noise for over two years.

All dealership tech's want to do is R&R (good if the part is actually defective). A good mechanic will actually analyze the root cause and think outside the box when required...

As for the loaner, I treat them as if they were mine. Thus if dirty - and I don't like driving dirty cars, I would wash it. The dealership however is not going to chastise you if you bring it back dirty - unless you've been out "mud'n" in the thing...

Good luck
Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

kjsmitty- how does the shift gate look when i take off the pannels by the shift boot and where would i be able to get this lithium grease? it's a pretty annoying problem so i wanted to get rid of it asap! thanks for the help.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM
WDP Director of R & D

You can get the lithium grease at any Autozone, Pepboys, etc.. Its basically a spray-able grease that thickens as it drys - sticks well to parts.

To get at the area I took the brushed aluminum looking bezel off around the shifter gate, then remove the plastic wood/carbon fiber looking piece around the shifter.
If I remember right I also had to remove the top of the black plastic portion of the shifter gate (area with the gear/position indicators etc) to see down inside etc..
You will then want a friend or better half to drive the car and perform the stop and go that gets it to make the noise - while you're in the passenger side looking for the white "cam" piece that swings back and forth down in the shifter gate area. You should also be able to sit with the car running in park, with foot off and on the brake, and see it move.
Once you find it, I just sprayed it well with the grease then let it dry. It took two applications and some time for it to thicken before mine quit. Once you see the piece you may even think of a different or better way of "muting" the sound or snugging up the cam piece.

Best of luck
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by nokiaboy808
i think i may have a problem similar to you. does the clicking sound happen when your accerlating and slowing down in slow speeds? hmm it's really up to you if you want to wash the car or not. i figure they would wash it when they get it back anyways.
When I'm at a stand still stop, I'll accelerate (before I hit 5mph) and the click is always at that time only.

Thanks for the replys guys.

From having a SSM to NBP....you can now see every little dust particle and water spot.

I think I need to go wash the car!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:42 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by HAWAIIS FINEST
When I'm at a stand still stop, I'll accelerate (before I hit 5mph) and the click is always at that time only.

Thanks for the replys guys.

From having a SSM to NBP....you can now see every little dust particle and water spot.

I think I need to go wash the car!
Definitely the park lock mechanism

Good luck Hawaii
Old 06-05-2008, 04:08 AM
06 6spd TL BAGGED

thanks for the info! i'll get to it when i have time
Old 06-10-2008, 04:23 AM
Advanced

ok gang,

got my car back. it was the shifting mechanism. i'm just really glad it got fixed.

about the '08 TL, LOVED IT!!!! now the ?. Should I buy an '08 (financing is at 0.9%) or wait for the '09?

Seen the spy pics and not very impressed that's why. It could change(the body style), right?
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
You can get the lithium grease at any Autozone, Pepboys, etc.. Its basically a spray-able grease that thickens as it drys - sticks well to parts.

To get at the area I took the brushed aluminum looking bezel off around the shifter gate, then remove the plastic wood/carbon fiber looking piece around the shifter.
If I remember right I also had to remove the top of the black plastic portion of the shifter gate (area with the gear/position indicators etc) to see down inside etc..
You will then want a friend or better half to drive the car and perform the stop and go that gets it to make the noise - while you're in the passenger side looking for the white "cam" piece that swings back and forth down in the shifter gate area. You should also be able to sit with the car running in park, with foot off and on the brake, and see it move.
Once you find it, I just sprayed it well with the grease then let it dry. It took two applications and some time for it to thicken before mine quit. Once you see the piece you may even think of a different or better way of "muting" the sound or snugging up the cam piece.

Best of luck

Was this hard to do? I was about to take it to the dealer (08 TL), because if it is normal, and it has been doing it since I got the car (bought used, about a month ago) I never noticed it until today. Then I read your reply and was like maybe that is something I can do myself. When I called 2 dealers, they both said it was normal, and one dealer quoted me at 3 hundred something for replacing the solenoid, but guaranteed that it would return. So I asked how much to lube it, and quoted me at 2 hundred something. The car is still under warranty, but I am trying to take care of it myself if its simple enough to do so, saves me the trip and the service dept where i bought the car said they needed to take a look at it. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Ah, nevermind. That sh!t is hard to do. more time consuming than anything. You basically have to take out the whole mid console, where the shifter is. F that! I'll go back to the dealer and have them mess with it. I wish I could stick the little straw/tube and just spray the shit outta of it. Any ideas if this would work? Or would i just make a mess? I know its an old thread, but maybe some one can chime in? Anyone?