Serious HELP: Stupidity and Inexperience hit again!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Serious HELP: Stupidity and Inexperience hit again!

I'm posting because I'm not really sure where else to begin. I was attempting to install the rear motor mount tonight, and long story short...we failed. The car was on a temporary acura jack, and I didn't realize. It fell short and the car slammed hard to the ground; the front right tire had been removed. It the front, right rotor hit pretty darn hard, but the rotor itself seems to be in one piece; there was vibration while normal braking (thank gosh). As for the the body damage, there wasn't much, but I can see the right fender no longer is aligned with the passenger door (body shop?). The car drove as it did prior to the accident, but I can't imagine that EVERYTHING must be okay. Should I be worried about axles? what else?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Holy crap... I know this shit scared the fuck out of you when it happened! How's the alignment and stuff.. shit still drive straight .. only problem a vibration? I think I'd have someone more trained check out the axle and shit just to make sure it didn't bend.

And you know what's funny, the same shit almost happened when we were adjusting ride height on msala's car.. fucking acura jack bent and collapsed.. luckily his tire was on as we were putting the wheel back on and threaded 3 bolts on. These acura jacks are kind of flimsy as fuck... I read another member having same thign happen while he was changing a flat on the highway.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 AM
Safety Car

^ man, i'm so disappointed. it just adds another "defect" to my long list of things wrong with my car
the car's alignment seems out...no vibration or any sort in the steer wheel -_-
i wonder if the alignment problem near the front right fender and the passenger door is a body shop deal? anyone have a guess-timate?
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I know you don't want to hear this, but any time work is being performed on the car, put a jack stand under for safety, especially when using the factory jack.

As far as fender adjustment, there is some adjustment available, but if the fender was pushed up when bolted tight, I'd say a body shop is the way to go. More involved than just a simple unbolt and fender adjustment.

Shouldn't be any additional damage as the force was upward, not like hitting a pothole at 60MPH with that force trying to push the suspension back.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
I know you don't want to hear this, but any time work is being performed on the car, put a jack stand under for safety, especially when using the factory jack.

As far as fender adjustment, there is some adjustment available, but if the fender was pushed up when bolted tight, I'd say a body shop is the way to go. More involved than just a simple unbolt and fender adjustment.

Shouldn't be any additional damage as the force was upward, not like hitting a pothole at 60MPH with that force trying to push the suspension back.
+1 no shit.. bro you need jack stands.. You're lucky you guys weren't under there working at the time. I hope your ride gets remedied. Those effin rotors are huge & heavy.. I'm not too suprised they didn't crack but you might have shocked the wheel hub and done some damage.. remove the hub and check your bearings. This will allow you to get a better visual of your rotor as well.. Just be glad the Darwin Award gets passed to someone else.. pheww..
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut

Or, as an additional safety measure in the absence of jack stands, your wheel. You should always have some sort of backup plan, and replacing a wheel and tire is going to be a lot cheaper than a body panel or a leg.

I was attempting to change out the springs on my Jeep with just a Hi-Lift jack (google). I was young and dumb, but at least I had the forethought to put the wheel under the frame. So when the Jeep came off the Hi-Lift, I got a small scratch on my wheel and didn't get pinned under the Jeep with no one else at home.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CocheseUGA
Or, as an additional safety measure in the absence of jack stands, your wheel. You should always have some sort of backup plan, and replacing a wheel and tire is going to be a lot cheaper than a body panel or a leg.

I was attempting to change out the springs on my Jeep with just a Hi-Lift jack (google). I was young and dumb, but at least I had the forethought to put the wheel under the frame. So when the Jeep came off the Hi-Lift, I got a small scratch on my wheel and didn't get pinned under the Jeep with no one else at home.
your lucky i had a spring compressor give way on me with spring for 5" lift. luckily it was inside the wheel well and i only got 5 stitches on my hand. that could have taken off my face.

i always had 2 jacks on the jeep with stands. 4000lbs coming down on you it would be hard to breath.

be glad your ok.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bender
your lucky i had a spring compressor give way on me with spring for 5" lift. luckily it was inside the wheel well and i only got 5 stitches on my hand. that could have taken off my face.

i always had 2 jacks on the jeep with stands. 4000lbs coming down on you it would be hard to breath.

be glad your ok.

that always freaks me out.. I feel like going 4 clamps on it..
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
wow, glad you are ok! this kinda thing always freaks me out when i am working on my car. jack stands FTMFW!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:38 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

Imagine if you were working under the car.
Glad you are okay hopefully you go invest some money on a nice set of jack and jack stands.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CocheseUGA

sigh...young and dumb? that'd be me but i'm learning! slowly...lol
i never knew that those small jack stands were SO incredibly WEAK!
jack stands are actually on order from sears...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Majofo
Just be glad the Darwin Award gets passed to someone else.. pheww..
lol, thank you for sparing me!
Old 05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Safety Car

dumb-di-dumb
Old 05-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't understand why anyone would not use a jackstand, especially with our crappy jacks. Thank GOD you are ok, bro. It could have been much worse.

A word of advice for those who do not have jack stands. If you have to rely on the Acura jack to hold up your car, then at least make sure the hand brake is pulled tightly and the wheels are chocked to avoid the possibility of the car rolling while it's jacked up.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get an alignment to see if anything is bent. Not at a place like Firestone either, go to the dealer.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Advanced

Damn Eric...you can't catch a break with the TL. Glad to hear you're okay.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Trew
I can't understand why anyone would not use a jackstand, especially with our crappy jacks. Thank GOD you are ok, bro. It could have been much worse.

A word of advice for those who do not have jack stands. If you have to rely on the Acura jack to hold up your car, then at least make sure the hand brake is pulled tightly and the wheels are chocked to avoid the possibility of the car rolling while it's jacked up.
stupid amateurs... lol NEVER AGAIN!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by spc425
Damn Eric...you can't catch a break with the TL. Glad to hear you're okay.
yeah, i pretty much just stood there for a few...in shock lol
Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by erick3
stupid amateurs... lol NEVER AGAIN!

You're being rough on yourself.. the jack stand should be reliable.. I would report this incident to Acura and have them pay for any repairs.. very dangerous. The jack should hold but sh*t happens.. which is why everyone uses jack stands when working on a car. I'm a bit confused did the jack fail or was it not placed properly and slipped? Also.. did you mean there is no vibration while braking?

Anyways.. you learn from your experiences. We've all been kicked in the balls & Murphy exists.. but as long as you learn and get back up.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:07 AM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

What i use to do when I was poor which I still am but when I didnt have access to jack stands I would put my rim under the rotor just in case the jack slips or you can use your spare if you dont want to risk anything on your wheels.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

damn, as long as your not hurt....
Old 05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

^maybe his ego.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Safety Car

You're being rough on yourself.. the jack stand should be reliable.. I would report this incident to Acura and have them pay for any repairs.. very dangerous. The jack should hold but sh*t happens.. which is why everyone uses jack stands when working on a car. I'm a bit confused did the jack fail or was it not placed properly and slipped? Also.. did you mean there is no vibration while braking?

Anyways.. you learn from your experiences. We've all been kicked in the balls & Murphy exists.. but as long as you learn and get back up.
LOL wise words Majofo
I'm not really sure about blaming Acura...I really do feel like it was my fault; the jack was placed correctly, but it was a small grade I was on a time crunch, because I was working @ a friend's and he had to leave!

Must...take...more...time to freaking...work on car...
Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by anarchy[sear]
^maybe his ego.
lol for sure man.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:06 PM
Safety Car

hm...i wonder...2.25 ton jack stands or 3 ton jack stands?
Old 05-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Pro

just get 3 it can't hurt
Old 05-21-2009, 05:07 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

I have 4 jackstands cause I only got one me so I think me is more important.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:43 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Replace the rotor even if everything seems ok. Get an alignment and that will tell you if anything is bent (not likely). Glad you're ok.

I use 4x8 blocks of wood under mine because they feel more stable than jackstands.

I had an Opel GT with no engine fall on me with no one around. I saw it coming and locked out my arms in a benchpress position and held the car until my screaming got someone out there to lift it up. My forearms, elbows, back, chest, and especially palms etc hurt like hell for a week. Palms were black and blue for a while. There was probably a good 700lbs on me and I only benched 400 at the time.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
can you post a picture of the jack (the one that caused this whole thing)? How long was it holding the car up for? It should not fail like that, acura should be paying for any of the damages since it's designed to hold up the car while changing a tire.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Replace the rotor even if everything seems ok. Get an alignment and that will tell you if anything is bent (not likely). Glad you're ok.

I use 4x8 blocks of wood under mine because they feel more stable than jackstands.

I had an Opel GT with no engine fall on me with no one around. I saw it coming and locked out my arms in a benchpress position and held the car until my screaming got someone out there to lift it up. My forearms, elbows, back, chest, and especially palms etc hurt like hell for a week. Palms were black and blue for a while. There was probably a good 700lbs on me and I only benched 400 at the time.
Only 400.. at the time.. wtf.. lol. How did it fall on you and what do you bench now? My current goal is 315.. not enough time to hit the gym though or funds.. the only lifting I'm getting in is throwing 250 lb guys over my shoulder. Glad your okay.. the 4x8's is pretty ghetto but you're probably right.. to the OP.. if you get jack stands don't get the thin cheap weld supports. Get the full jacket supports.

Originally Posted by csmeance
can you post a picture of the jack (the one that caused this whole thing)? How long was it holding the car up for? It should not fail like that, acura should be paying for any of the damages since it's designed to hold up the car while changing a tire.
absolutely.. that's what I said.. cheap or not.. it shouldn't fail like that.

Last edited by Majofo; 05-23-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Team Owner

Only 400.. at the time.. wtf.. lol. How did it fall on you and what do you bench now? My current goal is 315.. not enough time to hit the gym though or funds.. the only lifting I'm getting in is throwing 250 lb guys over my shoulder. Glad your okay.. the 4x8's is pretty ghetto but you're probably right.. to the OP.. if you get jack stands don't get the thin cheap weld supports. Get the full jacket supports.

absolutely.. that's what I said.. cheap or not.. it shouldn't fail like that.
Right now, 340. Months after the car fell on my I fell just a few lbs short of 500. I'm getting old, priorities are different unfotunately. But one day I hope to get up over 400 again.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:45 PM

I think maintaining a decent bench like 340 with 10-15 reps is good enough.. the main goal should be to keep the fat off.. I see too many older guys around with big arms and no physique.. went from 50 lb curls to 12 oz curls.. lol.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

I think maintaining a decent bench like 340 with 10-15 reps is good enough.. the main goal should be to keep the fat off.. I see too many older guys around with big arms and no physique.. went from 50 lb curls to 12 oz curls.. lol.

I agree completely. I'm 32 and most guys my age have a big gut yet walk around with an attitude and tanktops to show off their flabby but large arms. I stay between 220lbs and 190lbs depending on the time of year and what I'm trying to accomplish. But my BF never exceeds 12%. I maintain that just because my friend is a model and she's always inviting me to pool events in Vegas and LA. I don't want to be more than 2 weeks away from being cut.

Only thing is that kind of life is getting old and I'm losing interest quickly. I hope I will continue staying in shape when it's over.

What do you train for? It almost sounds like MMA...
Old 05-23-2009, 08:17 PM

I have a fighting spirit and love to spar & throw but no MMA for me.. I'm a bit of a purist. I've been doing Taekwondo (TKD) for a while and now I'm into Hapkido (HKD). I've done a little Kempo/Kenpo Karate as well.. all three are great but it definitely takes a long commitment & dedication much like weight lifting. I feel old though, my knees and my shoulder is always sore.. there are a few guys in class that are 50+ and ass kickers so I'm definitely going to stick with it.. I hear you about the lifestyle getting old.. I let go after the common law and I got together.. from 185 to 235 (maybe 10-15 lbs of muscle gain).. lol. Need to cut BF for sure..

Okay.. back on topic.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Team Owner

I have a fighting spirit and love to spar & throw but no MMA for me.. I'm a bit of a purist. I've been doing Taekwondo (TKD) for a while and now I'm into Hapkido (HKD). I've done a little Kempo/Kenpo Karate as well.. all three are great but it definitely takes a long commitment & dedication much like weight lifting. I feel old though, my knees and my shoulder is always sore.. there are a few guys in class that are 50+ and ass kickers so I'm definitely going to stick with it.. I hear you about the lifestyle getting old.. I let go after the common law and I got together.. from 185 to 235 (maybe 10-15 lbs of muscle gain).. lol. Need to cut BF for sure..

Okay.. back on topic.
That's pretty cool. I got thrown around like a ragdoll at 210lbs by a 160lb person, I believe it was Hapkido but I don't remember for sure. I started in Jiujitsu at Mark Laimons in Vegas many years ago and during my first week I got tapped by 150lb highschool kids. Humbling is an understatement.
Old 05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I used two jack stands a few days ago to take my J-pipe off of the car, even though I kept a couple of concrete blocks underneath the car just to be safe but the whole process was VERY VERY HAIRY . To anyone who plans on working on their car kindly invest in a good floor jack and jack stands. I picked up a nice rapid pump aluminum jack from Harbor Freight for $109 yesterday and two jack stands. I cant believe I used OEM floor jacks for so long.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree completely. I'm 32 and most guys my age have a big gut yet walk around with an attitude and tanktops to show off their flabby but large arms. I stay between 220lbs and 190lbs depending on the time of year and what I'm trying to accomplish. But my BF never exceeds 12%. I maintain that just because my friend is a model and she's always inviting me to pool events in Vegas and LA. I don't want to be more than 2 weeks away from being cut.

Only thing is that kind of life is getting old and I'm losing interest quickly. I hope I will continue staying in shape when it's over.

What do you train for? It almost sounds like MMA...
please keep me in mind should your friend need a substitute when you're totally tired of it. I can bench all of 175lbs. All these stories are crazy, just shows you how fleeting life is.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by piggydog
please keep me in mind should your friend need a substitute when you're totally tired of it. I can bench all of 175lbs. All these stories are crazy, just shows you how fleeting life is.
LOL. Google Lux Cassidy. Make sure you're not at work lol. I'm getting too old to hang.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Team Owner

LOL. Google Lux Cassidy. Make sure you're not at work lol. I'm getting too old to hang.
That would be with a K, not a C. I've never seen it spelled before.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:11 PM

no disrespect.. but damn.. lol.. NSFW..well the stuff I'm looking at..

There's only one kid in class and he's about 150 / 160 but almost popped my elbow on a joint lock take down. Yeah.. humility is a rare quality that is definitely a requirement in the dojang.

Originally Posted by JnC
I used two jack stands a few days ago to take my J-pipe off of the car, even though I kept a couple of concrete blocks underneath the car just to be safe but the whole process was VERY VERY HAIRY . To anyone who plans on working on their car kindly invest in a good floor jack and jack stands. I picked up a nice rapid pump aluminum jack from Harbor Freight for $109 yesterday and two jack stands. I cant believe I used OEM floor jacks for so long.
damn JnC... I've thought about building a house on my land lot, but besides a house I plan on building a nice garage. One of the thoughts was a mechanics trench. Probably unnecessary but would make routine work a cinch. Whether it'll actually happen is still up in the air though..

btw.. I saw a deal for Craftsman 3 ton jacks stands, hydraulic lift & creeper for $99.. there are better deals if you wait.. I remember seeing 3 ton stands & lift for $45 a few months back but still not too bad of a deal for decent equipment..

Here's the Sear's link: Jack Stand Set

Last edited by Majofo; 05-24-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Serious HELP: Stupidity and Inexperience hit again!