AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   Rust under rear window (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/rust-under-rear-window-891024/)

JustinZ 07-02-2013 03:02 PM

Rust under rear window

3 Attachment(s)
I have an 06 TL and theres some bad rust developing under the rear window

Its pretty bad -- how should I go about getting this fixed?
and suggestions or advice??

This seems prettty bad almost like a design flow or manufacturing defect -- would goodwill cover this?

Attachment 110503
Attachment 110504
Attachment 110505

SharksBreath 07-02-2013 03:06 PM

car was repainted at some point. and poorly, at that.

i doubt acura will do much for ya.

Project_CLean 07-02-2013 03:21 PM

^this.

If you mean the rear glass / windshield - I wonder if it was in a major accident that needed the quarter panel replaced? In which case, the warranty wouldn't cover it. That's bad body work.

paperboy42190 07-02-2013 05:29 PM

i havent seen this issue on any other TLs so I dont think its a widespread issue

JustinZ 07-04-2013 09:43 AM

I've owned this car new from day 1

However, there was other rust issues, near the top right of the rear window -- and acura took it in to fix under warranty - this was a couple years ago

So now that I'm hearing you guys say it was repainted... sounds like they did a shitty job that is now causing this....

You think I have a case bringing it to them and saying their shitty job is causing the rust?

I even made a post about it here: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/rust-above-rear-window-%2Apics%2A-635948/

erdoc48 07-04-2013 10:23 AM

To fix that properly would likely require removal of the rear glass, then sanding down to bare metal, welding a new piece in place and repainting. Did it start as a paint chip in the area that received no attention? That's the only way I can think of that would result in that degree of damage. I imagine it would be a $1000 or so to fix as a very rough estimate to do it properly. You could ask Acura, but the TL is now 7 years old and it'll be hard to prove it was a manufacturing defect (well, that and the rust through warranty is likely expired).

What I find surprising in your car is that there were prior rust related repairs. In general, cars these days with intact paint don't rust. You could use that as a bargaining chip, I guess, but it'll be up to Acura corporate as to whether or not they will cover the repair.

Project_CLean 07-05-2013 08:21 AM

If you've owned it NEW,and you're saying you haven't gotten into any accidents and you've already had rust issues..then you may have a case.

BTW, I'm almost positive that cars that get damaged in transit to the dealer for SALE or in the lot while moving cars,can get sent to a body shop and doesn't have to be disclosed to the customer unless it's frame damage? Correct me if I'm wrong..

abirvalg 07-05-2013 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by erdoc48 (Post 14562777)
In general, cars these days with intact paint don't rust.

wishful thinking :)
pop your bumper covers off and see how it doesn't rust
or remove the interior door covers and look inside the door panels

i have had every square inch of panels not directly visible from the outside covered in cavity wax when i bought her new in 05', and i still see signs of rust in some odd places that need attention now and then
albeit none of them are on the surface

depends on the climate too i suppose

ackyourah 08-17-2016 08:51 PM

Me Too

Resurrecting this thread from the dead...because I have rust in exact same area and I have an 06 also. I assumed it was a poorly done prior repair (I am not orig owner) but after seeing this I wonder whether anyone else is seeing it in the 3g. And wow.... a cool G to do it right:what:.. not what I was expecting. Maybe time for a cover up? Can I get by with a cheaper repair that might last a few years? And yup I realize I could take heat for even asking that (please spare the :tomato:) but I'm trying to be practical. Thanks.

thoiboi 08-17-2016 08:56 PM

Just use plastidip and cover it