Rough downshifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Rough downshifting

I purchased a 2008 Acura TL this weekend with 21k miles. I am noticing rough shifting...I am not sure if this is normal or not. But when shifting its not smooth like my others cars its rough.

I was in behind a car today that was slowing down making a turn so I slowed down then the car sped up so I sped up and my transmission did a horrible downshift felt like someone rear ended me. . Sometimes my BMW does this but is this normal for the TL? I also have a clunk when shifting into R. I am going to test drive some TL's at my local dealership this weekend to compare.

It seems as the previous owner drove the car rough I am getting 14MPG and the brakes are loose. How can I reset the cars transmission?

Last edited by Aretardedorange; 03-22-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM
winner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
im the only owner of my 08 and when i downshift it does shift pretty erratically as well.
took it to the dealer two times, including a 3 day stay and they found no abnormal issues.
i still don't believe that it should be normal and will pursue another dealer or acura care when i get some more time.
that is a great idea that you test drive some tl's to see if it's the same.
i might do that too!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
I might have to try that idea and test drive other TL's and see if they do the problems mine are doing..
Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Search is your friend...
Old 03-22-2011, 02:56 PM
winner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i searched initially when i first found out about the issue but found a lot of threads about 04-06 tl's and their transmission 3/4th gear switches and known issues and using redline.
i didn't see very much about 07-08 tl's and no tsb about it either.
i've heard that the 07/08 auto transmissions are a bit different than 04-06's so i didn't want to gather any conclusions about my transmission using the other threads
if you have a link ihc, that would be awesome!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:26 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
At what speed would you say you go when you're downshifting? I made a 48miles trip over the weekend and i didn't notice any changes of a rough shifting unless you were going a bit over 80mph and downshifting at that high speed.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vinceeyy
i searched initially when i first found out about the issue but found a lot of threads about 04-06 tl's and their transmission 3/4th gear switches and known issues and using redline.
i didn't see very much about 07-08 tl's and no tsb about it either.
i've heard that the 07/08 auto transmissions are a bit different than 04-06's so i didn't want to gather any conclusions about my transmission using the other threads
if you have a link ihc, that would be awesome!

The 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches greatly influence the downshift harshness. This was the biggest improvement I felt when I replaced them. The Type F will help a little also. The TL is supposed to downshift automatically when you hit the brakes but over time it can go from barely noticable to harsh and most of it is due to the switches. I'm assuming the later TLs only rev match in manual mode....

Last edited by I hate cars; 03-22-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:11 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches greatly influence the downshift harshness. This was the biggest improvement I felt when I replaced them. The Type F will help a little also. The TL is supposed to downshift automatically when you hit the brakes but over time it can go from barely noticable to harsh and most of it is due to the switches. I'm assuming the later TLs only rev match in manual mode....
=/ in my case my gear goes to 1 as soon as my car hits like the 10-5mph. Am i supposed to actually it see it downshifting 1 by 1 if i'm going at a high speed? Or do i have to manually downshift it until it has less power to completely brake the car?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same issue. Downshifting is rough.....sometimes....actually...most of the time. I have a 07 TL w/ 40k miles. I own also a '93 Ford Probe GT with 157k miles and it shifts smoother than my TL. I already went at the dealer 2 times and they said that everything is up to specs!!!! I made another appointment for Monday morning....to try again to convince them that something is not right with the tranny. If not i will try to change the pressure switches. I already went to Redline D4 at 30k miles, i did the 3X3. My best friend has an 06 TL and the shifts are so smooth that you can't feel anything when the car is shifting gears up or down. I don't know what to say.....it's very frustrating.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:34 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by mirceapop05
I have the same issue. Downshifting is rough.....sometimes....actually...most of the time. I have a 07 TL w/ 40k miles. I own also a '93 Ford Probe GT with 157k miles and it shifts smoother than my TL. I already went at the dealer 2 times and they said that everything is up to specs!!!! I made another appointment for Monday morning....to try again to convince them that something is not right with the tranny. If not i will try to change the pressure switches. I already went to Redline D4 at 30k miles, i did the 3X3. My best friend has an 06 TL and the shifts are so smooth that you can't feel anything when the car is shifting gears up or down. I don't know what to say.....it's very frustrating.
hmm i really need to see how rough ur downshift is. do you really feel the impact of the car when u downshift or just u hear a rough sound?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Team Owner

Switches cure harsh downshifting, not D4. If any fluid would help, it would be the type F racing fluid.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Intermediate

This morning I went to the dealershit.... ......of course exactly what i was expecting......nothing! They said that everything is fine. The technician drove the car with me and i was trying to tell him when the car was shifting from the 2nd yo 3rd and 4th that there is a bump, a pull which in my opinion it should not do. He insisted that the tranny is perfect and if it was to go bad there were different signs like sounds and more harsh shifting. Anyways he said that the complain is registred in the file so if something goes wrong i am covered...i do not know what to say about that.
I even asked if it would be good change the switches, i would pay for them, and they said not to waste my money because it will not change a thing. I am still gonna do it anyways. :P

@ tones 160 - I do not hear any sound but there is a bump, lag, like the whole car doesen't move and after a fraction of a secound it pulls harder when it goes to the inferior gear. same thing with shifting up.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Switches cure harsh downshifting, not D4. If any fluid would help, it would be the type F racing fluid.

Question: Is there any issue if i have D4 and i go to Type F???
Can you please tell me the part numbers for the two swiches for 07.
Thank you.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Intermediate

I fund the part numbers but now where should i buy it from
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 PM
Team Owner

Question: Is there any issue if i have D4 and i go to Type F???
Can you please tell me the part numbers for the two swiches for 07.
Thank you.
No issues at all. Pretty much everything can be mixed with no bad effects. You will love how it feels after the switches and fluid. You'll see that the tech has no idea what he's talking about when you're done.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Intermediate

No issues at all. Pretty much everything can be mixed with no bad effects. You will love how it feels after the switches and fluid. You'll see that the tech has no idea what he's talking about when you're done.
Thanks.
Can you please tell me where should I buy those switches or shoul i order them from the dealer.
Thank you.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

This morning I went to the dealershit.... ......of course exactly what i was expecting......nothing! They said that everything is fine. The technician drove the car with me and i was trying to tell him when the car was shifting from the 2nd yo 3rd and 4th that there is a bump, a pull which in my opinion it should not do. He insisted that the tranny is perfect and if it was to go bad there were different signs like sounds and more harsh shifting. Anyways he said that the complain is registred in the file so if something goes wrong i am covered...i do not know what to say about that.
I even asked if it would be good change the switches, i would pay for them, and they said not to waste my money because it will not change a thing. I am still gonna do it anyways. :P

@ tones 160 - I do not hear any sound but there is a bump, lag, like the whole car doesen't move and after a fraction of a secound it pulls harder when it goes to the inferior gear. same thing with shifting up.
aww man now that sucks, I would die if that ever happens to my TL ...well good luck in repairing the issue dude, let me know how you did it just in case if that issue comes across.