Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors

Need new rotors and servicing. Pads are fine.

Question... Acrua says they'll do the rears with servicing and machine the fronts for about $670 taxes in.

A reputable independent guy that several people referred me to quoted me $435 taxes in for all new. That would save me over $200.

Now, I know they're not OEM rotors but does that really make a huge difference considering the cost savings?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
All new rotors & pads for all 4 wheels.. plus a brake flush through all 4 lines for $435 aint bad. You could do it yourself for $300 considering rotors will cost you about ~$50 each and pads about $40 / pair. Why do you need all 4 rotors turned / replaced is the big question.. are they warped? What about your pad life? What year is your TL and when did you last have the brake fluid changed?
Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Majofo
All new rotors & pads for all 4 wheels.. plus a brake flush through all 4 lines for $435 aint bad. You could do it yourself for $300 considering rotors will cost you about ~$50 each and pads about $40 / pair. Why do you need all 4 rotors turned / replaced is the big question.. are they warped? What about your pad life? What year is your TL and when did you last have the brake fluid changed?
2005 TL.

Just the rotors... pads are fine.

I just got the car. Always been serviced by Acura. When I brought it to them for a used car inspection, they didn't mention the fluid at all.

There's some vibration when braking and a little noise coming from the rear. Acura said it was the rotors.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:09 PM

'05 TL definitely need to change your brake fluid if it wasn't done recently. The first brake fluid change is three years.. Then it's suggested to be done every year after because of increased moisture seep.

I'm skeptical of the rotors.. do you have pics? Take a look at them when your car is cooled down and the rotors are cool as well. Look for a wavy or 'scratched' pattern around the rotor which would indicate warping. Then rub you finger across the surface, If the rotor is glass smooth or the wear is not bad / noticeable.. I'd pull my b.s. upsell card and pass on the service. If you post up pics of all 4 we could probably chime in better.

Do you notice your car pulling at all when you brake? vibration could be from the rotors but if they're glass smooth then I'd put them through the bedding process to make sure there's an even layer of brake pad material on the rotor. Can you describe the noise you hear? is it a grinding like it's coming from the rotor? is there spot rust on the rotor?

Last edited by Majofo; 05-04-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Cruisin'

I don't notice any pulling when braking. Just the vibration.

It's actually a bit of clunking noise when I apply the brakes. I told Acura this and they said it needed rotors... pads were fine... and servicing.

And yes, I noticed rust on them. I can try and take pics later.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Rust on the rotor may create a squealing noise and might attribute to some vibration.. a clunking sound is probably the pads. If it's spot rust that's been there for a while I would take the wheel & caliper off and use a medium & fine grit sand paper to knock it down. Then I'd put some CRC syn grease on the pad. You might want to get new retainer clips too.

Definitely post up some pics. When Acura says servicing what they mean is they take the rotor off the hub and put them through a lathe to smooth the surface within specs.. The problem is the rotor is now thinner and more prone to warping due to heat transfer.. and Acura will charge around $50 a rotor which is almost the price of a new one. Any other shop will turn / lathe / resurface / service a pair of rotors for $30 or $15 each (off wheel).. So when Acura tells me about servicing, it makes me laugh and want to say "what? bend me over here or take me outside?" ..

also, not all rotors are the same.. but the OE Rotors are crap in my opinion.. they warp to easily. It also depends on your driving / braking style. Post up pics or give us an update.. also, are you in the U.S. or Canada?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

They were replacing the rear rotors with a "rear service" and machining the front rotors.

Machine the front rotors = $180
Replace rear rotors and rear service = $410

Canada.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:25 PM

damn.. wtf? and they're not even replacing your pads. I don't get what they mean when they say replace rear rotors & rear service.. Sounds ridiculous or quite literally replace rear rotors and perform a rear service to you.

Whatever you do.. don't go back. Your brakes are fine now.. a week or two won't hurt you.. heck a month won't hurt either but the rust / any warped surface of the rotor will eat your pads in the mean time.

I can't recommend a local part store but maybe fellow AZine Canadian can.. you can order OE Spec rotors online and have them shipped for nearly nothing. Definitely post up some pics!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:57 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
If you get the rotors machined, be prepared to have them warp and need replacement sooner than "normal" (whatever that means).

TL has an issue with easily warping rotors. Removing material negativly affects heat removal/build-up = easier to warp.

If the brakes don't wobble/shimmy, dont' get them turned.

For what the dealer quoted you could get upgraded "street performance" Rotors, Pads, SS Brake Lines on all 4 corners and DIY the install.

DIY is really pretty easy - I am a mechanical noob and was able to do both the '02 and the '07 on my own with basic tools.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:06 PM
RoadRunner

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
I would rather replace the pads myself. I have a little over 32K on my car.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Over Caffeinated

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brake noob here, so I have a question: if the rotors are "glass smooth" as described, you can replace just the pads w/out creating a problem? Say if I wanted to go from OEM semi-metalic (brake dust city) to ceramic (to reduce dusting), I could do so without turning the rotors - as long as a did the bedding in process??

Thanks!
Steve
Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by sr1sws
Brake noob here, so I have a question: if the rotors are "glass smooth" as described, you can replace just the pads w/out creating a problem? Say if I wanted to go from OEM semi-metalic (brake dust city) to ceramic (to reduce dusting), I could do so without turning the rotors - as long as a did the bedding in process??

Thanks!
Steve
yes sir.. I suggest sanding them a bit around the rotor.. use a medium / fine grit.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Over Caffeinated

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks!