Rotora pads & rotors screeching in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotora pads & rotors screeching in reverse

Hi Guys, long time no posts here (sometimes a good thing). Anyways 04 TL 6spd with 103k. Just did front brakes and rotors, went with Rotora's slotted as well as the pads. Anyways the rotors were labeled left and right, but no labeling on the pads. Installed everything, worked great when I took it out and did the stops from 60-0 with firm pressure on the pedal as instructed but without activating ABS. Anyways the next day I get in and back out, and apply the brakes and the screech horribly in reverse. They have done it every single time since after the car has sat for about 20-40 minutes or over night. Driving it they are fine, no noise in forward, only reverse. And it's not a small noise, it sounds like metal on metal and everyone turns to look it's so loud. Any suggestions??
Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Did you lube all the moving contact points?

I had to re-do my Racing Brake set up with a high quality synthetic brake lube. I had annoying squeels at low speed here and there. The regular brake lube I used was not standing up,or washing off/wiping off or something.

I also removed the "disc brake quite" compound on the back side of the pad. I still used it to help hold the shim in place between the pad and shim, but lubed the back side between the shim and caliper piston with the synthetic lube.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the reply, yes I did lube all the contact points that move with a pretty decent brake lube. However, there were no shims sent with the rotora pads....I'm wondering if I was supposed to keep the one from the Brembo pads in there? hmmmm. Any thoughts anyone?
Old 09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Yeah, my Raing Brake ET500 pads didn't come with shims either, I re-used the OEM brembo shims.

I do great work on brakes jobs and I was really amazed I had to re-assemble the pads 3 times. The final with the synth lube. It's been 100% silent for months now.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by powerflow
Yeah, my Raing Brake ET500 pads didn't come with shims either, I re-used the OEM brembo shims.

I do great work on brakes jobs and I was really amazed I had to re-assemble the pads 3 times. The final with the synth lube. It's been 100% silent for months now.
If the pads don't come with shims, then shims are not required. I have the RBET300 pads and no shims, no problems.

To the OP, did you lube the back of the pads, the pins, and the spring clips?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

The main purpose of shims is to reduce or eliminate brake noise. ET500 pad description states "minimal squeaking" unlike the ET300. The OEM shims also fit perfect on the ET500 pads so I gave it a shot. Sure can't hurt. With all the comments about pads squeaking on the 3G I wanted to do all could to prevent it.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the input guys. I did lube all the pins, back of the pads, and the spring clips where they contact. This is just a horrible screeching noise, it really sounds like metal on metal. I'm going to pull everything apart again today, put the shims on and see what happens because something is obviously very wrong.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
I say you'll find nothing wrong or out of the ordinary when you inspect the brakes. Quite a few cars will develope this noise when going in reverse, especially when cold, because of light pad contact and with a specific pad material.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Your right I found nothing wrong with them that was obvious. And of course I had lost one shim to the old pads while they have been sitting in the garage. So I put shims on one side (the side that was making the noise the worst). Took it out, but it had been raining so the rotors were all rusted anyways. Letting it cool off and then will try it again see what happens.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Putting the libe on the back of the pads would eliminate the squeal if the pads were moving, but this sound I believe is something different.
When it does it again, remove the pads and rough them up, reinstall and see if the sound is gone.
My daughter's Maxima did it for years on first backup after sitting, brakes were good so no need to worry except if you live close to neighbors they always know when you're leaving the driveway.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Put shims on one side and no difference at all. Will try roughing up the pads tomorrow and see if that helps. A little disappointed with the pads after the set came pretty highly recommended on azine. Didn't have any of these problems when I went with the brembos at 60K (last replacement).
Old 10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Instructor

just a follow up update. Did all of the recommendations, e-mailed the company that was recommended through Azine, Excellera I believe it was. I was told I must have installed them incorrectly and they should not make that noise. I pointed out that I have done brakes many times throughout all the vehicles I've had and now at 105k have done them 3 times on the TL with this time being the only problem. I also pointed out how they ONLY make the noise in reverse when the brakes are first applied and not "warm". Still told I installed them wrong. Not very happy to be honest, should have coughed up the extra $$ and gone with the brembos again. This will teach me I suppose.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jayare627
just a follow up update. Did all of the recommendations, e-mailed the company that was recommended through Azine, Excellera I believe it was. I was told I must have installed them incorrectly and they should not make that noise. I pointed out that I have done brakes many times throughout all the vehicles I've had and now at 105k have done them 3 times on the TL with this time being the only problem. I also pointed out how they ONLY make the noise in reverse when the brakes are first applied and not "warm". Still told I installed them wrong. Not very happy to be honest, should have coughed up the extra $$ and gone with the brembos again. This will teach me I suppose.
Naturally you didn't install them incorrectly, so they should have compensated you to a degree, although most don't consider this noise a reason for compensation, as it's just the nature of the pads.
Maybe you can back into your parking space or garage so that when you pull out when they are cold, you'll be going forward, then no noise, or use the e-brake on the first reverse stop.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't want to make a new thread on this cause from reading posts I've searched on this topic, I'm still not sure whether to ignore this or pursue it as a fixable issue. i have an 07 type-s.

I have the same rotors/pads (slotted/cross drilled) as thread starter as suggested by excelerate and after my car has sat for a few hours, they screech pretty loud the first couple of times I hit the brakes, but it's not in reverse. I'm assuming the thread starter thinks it's just in reverse because he backs out of his driveway and by the time he drives forward the screeching just happens to be gone. i always back into my garage when i get home from work.

This screeching did not start occurring till the recent rain we've had. So I'm not sure whether this is something that still needs to be addressed. i mean i understand it's probably rust but still, it's just annoying because it turns heads and is unpleasing to the ears when i am leaving the parking lot from work or from home in the morning. so yeah i love the performance of the brakes, but this kinda leaves one negative mark on them. on a civic i wouldnt care but no one likes squeals on a luxury car.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:52 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate to rain on anybody parade, but carbrakes noise is a matter of simple physics. Shims and lube only helps with parts they intended to be used with...I had this problem on my BMW 5 series with OEM rotors and Bendix metalic pads. It was fixed by putting OEM pads back on. So draw your own conclusions. If car had Brembo, then you know what to do. If it was stock then stay OEM or NISSIN Premium (OEM). All The best
Old 02-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy

Well, I had a slight squeal issue with my RacingBrake rotors/RacingBrake pads, on my Brembo calipers (2005 6MT). In my situation I was able to completely eliminate the issue. Ever since I fixed it, it never came back.

I'm 100% satisfied with RB.